PDA

View Full Version : GM TBI reprogamming-anyone done it or have info?

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2009, 02:03 PM
I have a new customer with a 95 TBI 350, thre previous dumbass mechanics put Vortec heads on, larger t/b and a lumpy cam, :banghead:, he has NO info or specs on the work done and the shop is no longer around, I phoned a few chip places but they need all that info, for obvious reasons, so has anyone burned a new TBI chip or have links, info to good info. TIA.

Edit, I know Moates have stuff so I emailed them as well.

JDAWG
09-29-2009, 02:44 PM
when I had my carpice a few years back those guys were just getting into it, I had a 90. I used to surf are 9c1forum or something like that

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Looks like I might have to become a local TBI tuner, lol.

john1320
09-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Simon, i have a 4.3 '88 TBI truck i run as a dd atm.
Has stock vortech heads as i'm told. Most all the '88 and on trucks should have them. I'm sorry to hear some tool put a big cam in there, as most TBI setups do not like them. What you COULD do if you had some dough is buy edelbrock's TBI intake manifold. The reason i say this is because when you order this part, it comes with a card you will write down your computer's broadcast code on plus any other info like the cam, then mail to edelbrock.

They send a burned chip out to you that will run that cam, intake, and other changes you made very smoothly. (the chip is free BTW)
I had a great experience with their tech support, as i tried to run the truck without the chip. (being stubborn, bad call lol)
Needless to say it could barely run if at all, blowing smoke though the neighborhood, lol. Darn OBD1

Check summit and jegs, that intake should still be cheap, with the side bonus of a properly running truck and more power/tq, and fuel efficiency.
I went from 12mpg to 14mpg and can spin my 33" mud tires on pavement a little. :love:
Unfortunately my cam was badly wornout when i bought the truck, so mileage is down again (3yrs since the upgrade).
Hope that gives you an option.

-John

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Vortec heads as in 96 and newer, ;)

I did some more digging, he has a Hypertech chip AND a Westers chip installed, :banghead:, I phoned both companies and both recommend only one chip be installed.

JDAWG
09-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Vortec heads as in 96 and newer, ;)

I did some more digging, he has a Hypertech chip AND a Westers chip installed, :banghead:, I phoned both companies and both recommend only one chip be installed.

lol, any tard knows not to do that

janus
09-29-2009, 04:14 PM
i'm currently tuning my 305 TBI '8746 in my '89 Formula. you'll find any and all info about GM TBI in either the TBI or the DIY PROM subforums of thirdgen.org. a great alternative to any TBI ecm is the EBL as available from dynamicefi.com
for any further questions contact me ;)

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2009, 04:16 PM
i'm currently tuning my 305 TBI '8746 in my '89 Formula. you'll find any and all info about GM TBI in either the TBI or the DIY PROM subforums of thirdgen.org. a great alternative to any TBI ecm is the EBL as available from dynamicefi.com

Thanks, I managed to dig up the cam specs as a fluke, he had sent them to Westers, phoned Comp cams and they said it should have 18" of vacuum.

I will do some digging around there and contact you if I need any other help.

john1320
09-29-2009, 05:43 PM

That's great info all the TBI guys can use, thanks for chiming in bro
:clap:
I can't wait for the Performer cam to go in, tired of her being a gas hog on the ol' no lober, lol!

black86glhs
09-29-2009, 08:40 PM
The nice part about TBI is you can chuck a 454 TBI setup on it if it needs more fuel. This is after you give them the specs and they say they it needs a bigger injector. I just hope they didn't put some huge, lumpy bumpstick in this thing. Even with tuning, they don't tend to run good at low rpms.
What are the lift specs?

bakes
09-29-2009, 10:00 PM
what about tuner pro rt

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
The nice part about TBI is you can chuck a 454 TBI setup on it if it needs more fuel. This is after you give them the specs and they say they it needs a bigger injector. I just hope they didn't put some huge, lumpy bumpstick in this thing. Even with tuning, they don't tend to run good at low rpms.
What are the lift specs?

Well I spent the better part of 5 hours on it today. The cam is an Extreme Energy XE256, lift is 449 int, 456 ex on a 112 deg lobe sep, the Comp Cams guy said this should work no problems with around 18" of vacuum. Phone Westers, we went back and forth and told me to take notes on fuel trims etc. I pulled the plugs and found most of my problems, someone changed the plugs and put 1995 spec plugs in, they are 3/4" too short so they were firing IN THE PLUG THREADS. Did a compression test, 180 psi so around 9-9.5:1, put the proper plugs in, reset idle, tps, timing to 4 deg and its a new truck, idles at 16-17 inch's and runs wicked. Will do a cold test tomorrow and see if the chip needs tweaking.

86Shelby
09-29-2009, 10:37 PM
That is a pretty decent cam for a DD. I never heard a bad thing about it when a friend put it in his 383 TBI truck. It would scoot along pretty well.

turbovanmanČ
09-30-2009, 02:24 AM
That is a pretty decent cam for a DD. I never heard a bad thing about it when a friend put it in his 383 TBI truck. It would scoot along pretty well.

Did he have any mods to the chip, throttle body etc?

86Shelby
09-30-2009, 02:44 PM
No mods to the chip or calibration.

Stoker kit...may have been Eagle? Budget kit but honestly don't remember.
Aftermarket TBI intake..I forget what brand/model.
Very lightly massaged Vortec heads, backcut valves, 1.6(likely) aluminum roller rockers
Free flowing 2.25 or 2.5" dual exhaust.
Injectors from a TBI 454.
They set the timing after a bunch of test drives watching the scantool for knock and kept retarding it until it wouldn't ping on 89 octane.

That's it. I remembered the cam number due to some inside jokes from class; even though the other details escape me.

black86glhs
09-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Well I spent the better part of 5 hours on it today. The cam is an Extreme Energy XE256, lift is 449 int, 456 ex on a 112 deg lobe sep, the Comp Cams guy said this should work no problems with around 18" of vacuum. Phone Westers, we went back and forth and told me to take notes on fuel trims etc. I pulled the plugs and found most of my problems, someone changed the plugs and put 1995 spec plugs in, they are 3/4" too short so they were firing IN THE PLUG THREADS. Did a compression test, 180 psi so around 9-9.5:1, put the proper plugs in, reset idle, tps, timing to 4 deg and its a new truck, idles at 16-17 inch's and runs wicked. Will do a cold test tomorrow and see if the chip needs tweaking.

That wasn't as big as I was expecting. Yeah......I said it.....LOL!!!!
Glad you were able to find the plug issue. That thing should be able to run with out the chip. Obviously, it will run better with one set up for it.
If you had said a XE268 or larger, that would have been impressive. My friend is going to be building a 350 for his 9C1 caprice and we have been looking at different cams and intake systems. Nice upgrade.

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2009, 05:42 PM
That wasn't as big as I was expecting. Yeah......I said it.....LOL!!!!
Glad you were able to find the plug issue. That thing should be able to run with out the chip. Obviously, it will run better with one set up for it.
If you had said a XE268 or larger, that would have been impressive. My friend is going to be building a 350 for his 9C1 caprice and we have been looking at different cams and intake systems. Nice upgrade.

It still idles like crap when the computer commands 550 in drive and when cold, it chugs and backfires out the TB. Sending the chip back out for a tweak.

black86glhs
10-01-2009, 09:21 PM
It still idles like crap when the computer commands 550 in drive and when cold, it chugs and backfires out the TB. Sending the chip back out for a tweak.

What does the vacuum look like in drive at 550 rpm? Back off the timing make it run better at idle?
I know you are sending the chip back, just curious.

WickedShelby88
10-04-2009, 09:31 PM
A friend of mine kept the TBI stuff on his camaro a while back. He was running a 79 4 bolt main block with the TBI heads from a 305 etc. and a 5 speed. I'm not sure what he did with the computer but that thing would scream. It would keep up with a C4 vette with an LT1 up till a little over 100 out on the highway. This thread definitely gives me more hope should I ever get another GM.

1madgumby
10-05-2009, 07:22 AM
This is what you need to do. Get A ECM out of A syclone or typhoon & change the drivers to V8 drivers. then get tuner pro & start tuning from there. It has been done A bunch of time on the syclone Typhoon board.