PDA

View Full Version : Blown converter??

DBB mini
09-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Well I just went out for a test run.... the trans shifted into second and snap!! RPMS went to the moon. No more forward or reverse power. Boost was around 18psi during the shift. I have already went through the transmission and I ran a stock rebuilt converter. I haven't lost any fluid and it doesn't make any noise in gear or while idling. My guess is converter, any ideas? I'll look closer at it tomorrow.

Coy

bakes
09-29-2009, 12:31 AM
snapped input shaft
broken transfer shaft
torn splines into the planetarys
blown seal to the direct clutch

DBB mini
09-29-2009, 08:02 AM
snapped input shaft
broken transfer shaft
torn splines into the planetarys
blown seal to the direct clutch

I thought about the shafts but it's not making any noise, still possible though.

1BADVAN
09-29-2009, 09:38 AM
i don't think it would do this with a bad convertor, the shift shouldn't break it becase it sut pushes against the fluid. Is it dead in all gears? I bet you broke a shaft, band, or blew out a seal and lost all your pressure.
You said no more forward or reverse power meaning it is dead or works badly?

Vigo
09-29-2009, 11:47 AM
both me and simon have broken output shafts. i forget if theres another name for that thing. Its the one that the top transfer gear bolts onto.

RoadWarrior222
09-29-2009, 02:14 PM
FIrst test run? Could be the fluid wasn't burped and you need another quart in there.

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I bet you snapped the output shaft, I did that showing off to a friend, hit 2nd and snap but you should have reverse, that's how i drove mine back to the shop, :lol:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Broken%20parts/Sonywork124.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Broken%20parts/Sonywork126.jpg

DBB mini
09-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Sweet, I'll go check for reverse. It's dead in all forward gears.

DBB mini
09-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Ok no reverse, no forward. It went into reverse faintly, but then nothing. I'll be tearing it down sooner than I thought.

zin
09-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Definitely not the converter, even if you broke the sprag, it would still half-azz function, just feel like stepping in a warm turd:lol:

I'm betting it's an input or output shaft, with a leaning towards the output, along with some wasted thrust washers... Any way you slice it, a bummer for sure! You might just want to snag a Neon trans and swap guts as the Neon 3-speeds have all the "turbo" upgrades and a few other improvements (pump, etc).

Hope it works out!!

Mike

DBB mini
09-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Well I already have 5disc clutch packs, and it has a solid pinion too. Probably has to be one of the shafts snapped, I heard it crack, sounded like a bone breaking, ouch.

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Definitely not the converter, even if you broke the sprag, it would still half-azz function, just feel like stepping in a warm turd:lol:

I'm betting it's an input or output shaft, with a leaning towards the output, along with some wasted thrust washers... Any way you slice it, a bummer for sure! You might just want to snag a Neon trans and swap guts as the Neon 3-speeds have all the "turbo" upgrades and a few other improvements (pump, etc).

Hope it works out!!

Mike

Even if he did, that won't fix the output shaft, all the tran's used the same one.

Well I already have 5disc clutch packs, and it has a solid pinion too. Probably has to be one of the shafts snapped, I heard it crack, sounded like a bone breaking, ouch.

Yep, hit 2nd and SNAP, then nothing, had it changed in about 5-6 hours, broke it Thursday at lunch, grrrrr as I had race the next day so I got her done that night and went racing the next day, :lol:

Maybe with some of our connections, we can get a stronger shaft made?

DBB mini
09-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Even if he did, that won't fix the output shaft, all the tran's used the same one.

Yep, hit 2nd and SNAP, then nothing, had it changed in about 5-6 hours, broke it Thursday at lunch, grrrrr as I had race the next day so I got her done that night and went racing the next day, :lol:

Maybe with some of our connections, we can get a stronger shaft made?

Making a stronger shaft? Now you're speaking my language for sure! If that be the problem. I should know by the weekend, ready to drop the axles, 2 more bolts, drop the trans. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
09-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Making a stronger shaft? Now you're speaking my language for sure! If that be the problem. I should know by the weekend, ready to drop the axles, 2 more bolts, drop the trans. :thumb:

Not sure what kind of rush your in but I can get the output shaft housings with roller bearings, stops out the wear in that area, should have been done from the factory.

DBB mini
09-30-2009, 09:30 PM
WOW!! So Bakes gets it right first try. Snapped input shaft. Just got the trans out, pulled the converter, shaft came right out. I may make it to the track next weekend after all. :eyebrows:
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/DSC02574.jpg

black86glhs
09-30-2009, 10:44 PM
I'll bet its a sna.........oh never mind, you found it.:clap:

roachjuice
09-30-2009, 10:46 PM
WOW!! So Bakes gets it right first try. Snapped input shaft. Just got the trans out, pulled the converter, shaft came right out. I may make it to the track next weekend after all. :eyebrows:

im telling ya that turbo hits hard like kimbo slice.

roachjuice
09-30-2009, 10:48 PM
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/kimbo_slice_05.jpg

DBB mini
09-30-2009, 10:53 PM
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/kimbo_slice_05.jpg

LOL as I'm watching the ultimate fighter. Yeah boost hits very hard with this turbo. Strange that this is the first time I've had a g-valve for a boost controller too.:D

DBB mini
09-30-2009, 11:06 PM
I'll bet its a sna.........oh never mind, you found it.:clap:

LOL Yeah. I'm happy that the carnage is minimal.

black86glhs
09-30-2009, 11:07 PM
LOL Yeah. I'm happy that the carnage is minimal.

So am I. Glad it didn't take anything else with it.:thumb:

bakes
10-02-2009, 12:05 AM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/DSC02574.jpg

there is a upgrade but it uses a 904 input and a modified TQ to accept it

zin
10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
there is a upgrade but it uses a 904 input and a modified TQ to accept it

What's the mod to the TQ? Kinda sounds like it might just need the guts from a 904 in a 413 converter shell?...

Mike

turbovanmanČ
10-02-2009, 05:13 PM
What's the mod to the TQ? Kinda sounds like it might just need the guts from a 904 in a 413 converter shell?...

Mike

Yep, :D

DBB mini
10-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah I plan on running one next year along with an upgraded converter.;)

ohiorob
10-02-2009, 06:43 PM
check out your front pump. sometimes the input will take it out when it breaks.

DBB mini
10-02-2009, 08:37 PM
check out your front pump. sometimes the input will take it out when it breaks.

Ok, thanks. I glanced at it but didn't see any apparent damage. What should I be looking for? It broke way back by the clutch pack area and the converter came out, shaft stayed put. Then I easily pulled the shaft out.

Coy

ohiorob
10-03-2009, 05:49 AM
take the pump apart and check out the bushing and the pump gears.

ohiorob
10-03-2009, 07:16 AM
sorry i may be wrong about the front bushing. I think the back of the pump gets a beating from the shaft wobbling when it breaks. it's been so long i can't remember :confused:

zin
10-03-2009, 04:41 PM
....it's been so long i can't remember :confused:

May we all be so lucky!! :thumb::D

Mike

DBB mini
10-03-2009, 10:37 PM
sorry i may be wrong about the front bushing. I think the back of the pump gets a beating from the shaft wobbling when it breaks. it's been so long i can't remember :confused:

Ok thanks, I'll check it thoroughly anyway before I bolt it back in.

turbovanmanČ
10-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I would do what Rob suggests, it takes minutes and better safe than sorry.

DBB mini
10-04-2009, 10:06 PM
I went thru the transmission today, all looked good. The only thing damaged was the snapped input shaft. Trans is back together and ready to install. I hope the modded input shaft hold up till next year, I'll run the larger input shaft with the upgraded converter. :thumb:

DBB mini
10-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I would do what Rob suggests, it takes minutes and better safe than sorry.

You must have missed this post, lol.

Ok thanks, I'll check it thoroughly anyway before I bolt it back in.

roachjuice
10-04-2009, 11:07 PM

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a55/SHOKING91/1254420180532.gif

turbovanmanČ
10-05-2009, 02:44 PM

Nope, saw it, just making sure, lol.

DBB mini
10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Nope, saw it, just making sure, lol.

Thanks Simon, always lookin out for me.:thumb: Sheesh it's raining here and I have a chub to get this trans back in. Gotta work in the driveway and I'm too old to work in the cold rain.:mecry:

turbovanmanČ
10-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks Simon, always lookin out for me.:thumb: Sheesh it's raining here and I have a chub to get this trans back in. Gotta work in the driveway and I'm too old to work in the cold rain.:mecry:

I hear you, guess I am spoiled, having a warm, dry place to work with a hoist is awesome, but the rent is killer, :(

RoadWarrior222
10-07-2009, 12:30 PM

I've been rained off for 2 weeks :banghead: I wanted to get some rust check on the frame rail before I stick the mount back in, I think I can spray it down to 8C but I'm running out of non-freezing weather, nevermind not having any dry...

If it don't gimme a break soon, I'm gonna have to say fuggit, wrap up in woolly longjohns, roll around in puddles and just hit everything with oilspray to hold it...

DBB mini
10-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I've been rained off for 2 weeks :banghead: I wanted to get some rust check on the frame rail before I stick the mount back in, I think I can spray it down to 8C but I'm running out of non-freezing weather, nevermind not having any dry...

If it don't gimme a break soon, I'm gonna have to say fuggit, wrap up in woolly longjohns, roll around in puddles and just hit everything with oilspray to hold it...

LOL, yeah life and weather always gettin in the way. On a side note has anyone who's done the valvebody .047" drill mod to increase line pressure noticed that it's impossible to check the fluid level while idling? Mine always shows the fluid level way over full, I think the mod is squirting fluid on the dipstick. I only replaced the fluid I drained, so I know it's not that full. When the engine is not running I check it and it registers lower on the dipstick than while idling...Anyone else have this problem?

turbovanmanČ
10-10-2009, 10:43 PM
LOL, yeah life and weather always gettin in the way. On a side note has anyone who's done the valvebody .047" drill mod to increase line pressure noticed that it's impossible to check the fluid level while idling? Mine always shows the fluid level way over full, I think the mod is squirting fluid on the dipstick. I only replaced the fluid I drained, so I know it's not that full. When the engine is not running I check it and it registers lower on the dipstick than while idling...Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I just eyeball it with the engine off.

DBB mini
10-11-2009, 12:20 AM
sweet so what does it read, engine off?

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2009, 05:57 AM
sweet so what does it read, engine off?

I'll have to check, can't remember.

ohiorob
10-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Yes, I just eyeball it with the engine off.

Me too. maybe about 1/4'' above full.

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Me too. maybe about 1/4'' above full.

Sounds about right.

DBB mini
10-12-2009, 09:21 PM
sweet, thats where I'm at. Thanks guys.