PDA

View Full Version : Drilling and Tapping for an EGT bung with the top end on the car.... is it possable?

shelbyplaya
09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
I would like to install my EGT probe on to my daytona but I dont want to pull the top end off to do it. Is it possable to do with the head still on? I'm useing a VNT manifold so it has a higher nickel content.

Thanks

tryingbe
09-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Do you really want all the metal shaving every where in there??

bakes
09-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Use grease on the drill bit and tap, go slow removing the bit to clear the chips , diesel guys do it all the time.

Mario
09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Possible? Yes.
Recommended? No.

You could go in very slowly while drilling and back the bit in and out while using compressed air or a vacuum to get rid of most of the shavings.

BLUEBALL
09-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Is there even enough room to do that? seems like it would be tight. Keep a magnet handy to get the stray chips outta there.

shelbyplaya
09-29-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm thinking more or less that everything that will get into the exhaust will exit thought the turbo and for the most part hamlessly exit thought the turbo. In reality I dont really care about the turbo seeing as the motor has one event left on it cuz it's being replaced with a 16v.

Mario
09-29-2009, 12:28 AM
If you don't care about it, I'd say ---- the egt probe all together then.

turboshad
09-29-2009, 12:52 AM
I did mine for the 8V on the car into the #4 runner. The shavings won't hurt the turbine. It isn't as delicate as the aluminum compressor. And if you are concerned you can do what bakes suggested.

turbo84voyager
09-29-2009, 09:47 AM
I have done this to several Talons. I kept cleaning the metal on the bit and around the hole. You will get some metal in the manifold. They are going to be small filings and will go past the turbo. Just start the car and let it idle. The metal has never hurt any of the turbo's on them. But if you are planning on pulling the engine apart why not just wait.

shelbyplaya
09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
I have done this to several Talons. I kept cleaning the metal on the bit and around the hole. You will get some metal in the manifold. They are going to be small filings and will go past the turbo. Just start the car and let it idle. The metal has never hurt any of the turbo's on them. But if you are planning on pulling the engine apart why not just wait.

I'm not pullin gthis motor apart. I have a hybrid 16v going back into the car for next year. I do however want to save this motor for future use in another car. I plan on running 20psi of boost and a a bunch of n2o this weekend as well. with out a wide band an EGT is the nest best thing

contraption22
09-29-2009, 12:23 PM
I''ve heard of people installing them with the engine running, so that the chips blow out of the newly drilled hole. However this was on engines where you would have easy access to the exhaust manifold without burning yourself.

turbo84voyager
09-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Why don't you invest in a wideband, even if it is not a very expensive one. You are going to need it for the hybrid.

contraption22
09-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Why don't you invest in a wideband, even if it is not a very expensive one. You are going to need it for the hybrid.

What he said ^^^^^^

Takes the guess work our of figuring out if your hot EGT means you are too lean or rich.

Mario
09-29-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't care about going off topic. SICK SIG PIC MIKE!!!!!

shelbyplaya
09-29-2009, 05:29 PM

at this point i'm more intrested in buying avalinche safty stuff for this coming winter befor i guy anything else for the car. I have the stuff i need now and it will be fine for 8 or 9 passes. Next year i'll invest in a wide band for the car.

puppet
09-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Put it in the SV. You're just after baseline readings w/EGT's. This location isn't that much cooler either (about a 100* or so) ... but it is easier to get at.

shelbyplaya
09-30-2009, 04:06 PM
i was gonna try for #1.

contraption22
09-30-2009, 11:53 PM
I don't care about going off topic. SICK SIG PIC MIKE!!!!!

Thanks, man!

shelbyplaya
10-03-2009, 02:06 PM
drilled and tapped in #1 only to find my gauge is'nt working :(