PDA

View Full Version : upper intake plenum flange

SCalder
09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/n503032/plenumflangecloseup.jpg
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/n503032/upperplenumflange.jpg

My first project with MasterCam and a Haas CNC.

If you need something CNC'd for a reasonable price, let me know. I'm looking for more projects to gain some more experience.

Steve

BadAssPerformance
09-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Nice work! Will it cut 1/2 stainless? ;)

1BADVAN
09-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks! How bout a turbo-swigvalve flange? how much would that run & could you make the hole for the Wastegate puck to be mounted in it
like this one but chrysler pattern
http://himni-racing.com/images/attributes/5_bolt%20to%20v-band%20internal%20wastegate%20front.jpg

SCalder
09-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I could attempt the downpipe/wastegate flange, but would need all of the dimensions or a part-in-hand.

turbovanmanČ
09-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Nice flange, :eyebrows:

Can you cut phenolic?

Can you do shafts? Like this-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Broken%20parts/Sonywork126.jpg

Mopar318
09-30-2009, 04:25 PM
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/n503032/plenumflangecloseup.jpg
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/n503032/upperplenumflange.jpg

My first project with MasterCam and a Haas CNC.

If you need something CNC'd for a reasonable price, let me know. I'm looking for more projects to gain some more experience.

Steve

How much for that flange?

GLHNSLHT2
09-30-2009, 05:08 PM
nice work Steve, gonna wanna take some off the ends especially the PS side if you're running PS. I think I have the closest tapped hole centerline like .600-.750 (have to look at my notes) away from that edge and you can just get the PS cap off on the metal pump.

4 l-bodies
09-30-2009, 08:02 PM
nice work Steve, gonna wanna take some off the ends especially the PS side if you're running PS. I think I have the closest tapped hole centerline like .600-.750 (have to look at my notes) away from that edge and you can just get the PS cap off on the metal pump.
Steve likes his pumps in the electric variety:nod:
Nice work Steve:thumb:. I'm in market for a nice upper plenum manifold or even the part you made and I'll make my own. Just needs to fit into a L-body. I keep trying to purchase one and they never seem to materialize. :confused2: I have a lower manifold all set and ready to go and a heavily welded upper ready for some flow bench comparisons.
Todd Nelson

GLHNSLHT2
09-30-2009, 11:28 PM
guess mine wasn't nice enough. I tried trading you cam gears for one :(

OmniLuvr
10-01-2009, 01:59 AM
wow, im impressed, id like one with a little more length and width, not sure the measurements yet, but im going to build an upper plenum with the throttle body on the pass side, and your flange is the missing piece of my puzzle.

OmniLuvr
10-01-2009, 02:05 AM
only other thing i can think of is and intake manifold to head flange? that would be cool, not much else seems challenging to me right now?

4 l-bodies
10-01-2009, 03:08 AM
guess mine wasn't nice enough. I tried trading you cam gears for one :(
Sheez Jay the first thing I told you was that your upper plenum and phenolic spacers were (and I quote) "Very nice!". I'll just bite my tongue on that second sentence...
Todd

GLHNSLHT2
10-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm just giving you a bit of crap Todd, Don't take me seriously.

1BADVAN
10-01-2009, 12:56 PM
i could attempt the downpipe/wastegate flange, but would need all of the dimensions or a part-in-hand.

it is on every chrysler turbo i'm assuming you might already have one

SCalder
10-01-2009, 02:54 PM
The flange in the picture will work with the ZF style PS pump, but would need to be trimmed to work with the metal can PS pump. Custom length is not a problem. But you can't go much further to the driver's side without running into clearance problems with the power brake booster.

The flange is 3" wide, but I could make it wider. However, firewall and or fuel rail clearance starts to become an issue.

I've never machined phenolic and will check with the CNC owner about the possibility. I'm also interested in making some thermal barrier spacers for the TIII, but was going to look at using some different plastics.

I'm going to play around with making a head / intake manifold flange for both the 8V and TIII this winter.

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2009, 03:30 PM
I've never machined phenolic and will check with the CNC owner about the possibility. I'm also interested in making some thermal barrier spacers for the TIII, but was going to look at using some different plastics.

I'm going to play around with making a head / intake manifold flange for both the 8V and TIII this winter.

Yep, I was interested in one for my TIII. I could get the Phenolic or if you have a better choice of material. LMK, thanks.

GLHNSLHT2
10-01-2009, 04:12 PM
phenolic is a mess to machine. Until you start cutting it you have no idea. The stuff works well but I'll never cut any again.

SCalder
10-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I can make copies of the flange with custom lengths or other small changes for $60. This covers the material and run time on the CNC (bugger is expensive).

About the downpipe/wastegate flange for the Chrysler turbo....I've been running a Ford style turbine housing for years and got rid of the Chrysler stuff long ago. You'd have to send me a Chrysler flange to copy.

Simon, the pictures of the shafts(?) did not work on my computer. Can you try it again. I do also have access to a CNC lathe, so shafts should be no problem.

Still waiting on the answer about machining materials other that aluminum and steel. I'm afraid some materials may contaminate the coolant.

Steve

turbovanmanČ
10-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Simon, the pictures of the shafts(?) did not work on my computer. Can you try it again. I do also have access to a CNC lathe, so shafts should be no problem.

Still waiting on the answer about machining materials other that aluminum and steel. I'm afraid some materials may contaminate the coolant.

Steve

Ok, try this and it looks like one of these might be a good idea, input shafts, there are some made out of 904 but you have to get a custom converter, :(

I can send samples of both if you can do it for reasonable price, :thumb:

The rear output shaft slides out of that housing, I can take some better pics if you want.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Broken%20parts/Sonywork126.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/DSC02577.jpg

zin
10-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Ok, try this and it looks like one of these might be a good idea, input shafts, there are some made out of 904 but you have to get a custom converter, :(

I can send samples of both if you can do it for reasonable price, :thumb:

The rear output shaft slides out of that housing, I can take some better pics if you want.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/DSC02577.jpg

I'd be up for a set of these shafts, as it sounds like the cost will be reasonable and you can never build it too strong! Right?

Mike

turboamx
11-14-2009, 06:47 PM
If you go to Ross Engineering they have the plenum material 1/4" thick in a semi round or D shape then the holes can be cut into it and the mount bolts holes threaded the southwest dodge club has a member that makes them

badandy
12-22-2009, 07:25 PM
If you go to Ross Engineering they have the plenum material 1/4" thick in a semi round or D shape then the holes can be cut into it and the mount bolts holes threaded the southwest dodge club has a member that makes them

With Steve's flange you would have to go with the U channel stuff and weld the top to the floor in order to have the radius around the port. Aaron Miller's two piece plenums were made as such. Unless I am mistaken using the D channel stuff would make it impossible to have that kind of radius around the port opening. You might be able to put a 1 angle radius on it like Jay did with his D channel intakes.

GLHNSLHT2
12-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh you can put a radius on the floor without cutting the floor off the extrusion. But we had a 45 degree cutter in the machine and I didn't want to invest in purchasing a special radius tool. It'd be interesting to see if there's any flow diiferences between mine and a setup with a full radius on the entry.

badandy
12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Oh you can put a radius on the floor without cutting the floor off the extrusion. But we had a 45 degree cutter in the machine and I didn't want to invest in purchasing a special radius tool. It'd be interesting to see if there's any flow diiferences between mine and a setup with a full radius on the entry.

Cheap azz :lol: Just kidding :o

GLHNSLHT2
12-23-2009, 11:20 PM
maybe, but the plan was just to make 2 or 3 for me and my local friends so I didn't want to make that big of an investment. I really think it'd be interesting to put both kinds on a flow bench and see if there's any difference.

OmniLuvr
12-24-2009, 12:35 AM
id like to see the flow results between just the flanges bolted to the lower intake, then two similar designed upper plenums.

id still like to purchase three flanges from you, 2 for mock up and plenums, then a third later that is longer on the pass side and wider towards firewall. even if i have to clearance the firewall a bit (unless thats a bad idea?).

Force Fed Mopar
12-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Steve, I have a turbine housing you can use for the pattern for making the downpipe flange. LMK if you want it and I'll meet you somewhere w/ it, or you can swing by the house again (this is Rob BTW, you came up to my house once before to test fit a header you were making for a friend ). I have a bunch of 8v intakes and heads too, if you need one to play with for making an intake flange (which is something I'd be interested in).

Juggy
01-02-2010, 08:19 AM

a carbide blank and deckel grinder could solve that problem :thumb:
im sure you must know how to use one of those damn things! lol

after sittin here thinkin for a minute i dont think i could make one on any of the deckels ive used. would be pretty hard, and forced to use backside of wheel

i think youd have to shape it all out and get it ready, cut your flutes (3 would be perfect) and then grind in the radius' by hand. making it CCW revolution would prolly be a good idea too :)

Juggy
01-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Yep, I was interested in one for my TIII. I could get the Phenolic or if you have a better choice of material. LMK, thanks.

phenolic is a mess to machine. Until you start cutting it you have no idea. The stuff works well but I'll never cut any again.

what about garolite??? someone was making 3.0 spacers with this stuff years back

not sure how it would machine i thought it was more plasticy then wood?

GLHNSLHT2
01-02-2010, 12:39 PM
plastic is ok. If it comes off chip shaped rather than a dust like phenolic it won't f up the coolant.

tsiconquest88
01-02-2010, 03:04 PM
off topic as its not for these engines but i have been working on a CF intake manifold for a starion, (for those that remember the thread). Havent done anything in months on it as my hold up is this stage for the intake flange- dont want to pay a lot to outsource its cutting and mamged to do a lot of it myself but the hardest parts i cant do as i thought i might, would take too long the way i was planning and get costly if i were to mess up over and over. How much would you charge you think? below i attached my file of the template i made and another pic of what i have done so far with the temp attached to it. I will of course send you the piece. We can discuss further on pm if you want on ship details and etc. Anyway on the update i might was well add for those that care. A lot of thought, parts and documentation went into this whole thing, including a custom fuel rail setup right down to fittings and throttel body. Going to turn out far better than intially planned. My mock mold is done and took forever cus i had to actually make a mock of it with stuff i found to be of actual runner diameter and plenum etc to even have something to layup to begin with haha, since its a one-off i had nothing to go by.. runners and all are one piece. Could have been done by now by going with my original idea but i didnt know how structually sound it would have been. This way i have now should be flawless. The parts list is more than the CF and resin lol. Not that it was much for that anyway, cloth is next to nothing price wise. Anyway just thought i would pop info on it all while i asked him about a price to finish the flange.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/tsiconquest88/flange.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/tsiconquest88/IMG00001.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/tsiconquest88/IMG00002.jpg

To elaborate, i want to keep that same detailed shape, took me a while to make that same oem shape but actually make it larger than the gasket so it is that much thicker. All other flanges for these 2.6's are a lame rectangle and i wanted a nice touch by keeping the shape of the stock flange as it looks good and would accent the entire piece greatly when its all done (especially in its blue/black carbon kevlar fiber). Matched to the conquest fiji blue as that was the recent sq i had but sold, i still plan to find a nice fiji roller to add this too, just had to sell for fines i owed in court lol.