PDA

View Full Version : Dropped The Trans, Have Some Questions

Polygon
09-27-2009, 11:00 AM
1. Will the clutch plate only fit one way? I just want to make sure since there is a side that's pretty flush and the other side sticks out a little. Which side is supposed to face the flywheel and which is supposed to face the pressure plate?

2. How do I install the passenger axle back into the intermediate shaft? We had to pound the old one out with a hammer. There was some rust on the splines. Should I just mount the intermediate back in the car, grease up the end of the axle, and push it back in? Or is there some special procedure?

3. The new axles they gave me don't look quite like my old ones. The outer housing looks similar, but the inner doesn't. It's not round like the others I've seen and it doesn't match any of the axles in the axle identification in the service manual. Here's are some pictures:

http://www.synapsepc.com/Hosting/Forums/TM/Hosting/Axle%201.jpg

http://www.synapsepc.com/Hosting/Forums/TM/Hosting/Axle%202.jpg

RoadWarrior222
09-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Anything between the machined parts on the axle, don't worry about what it looks like as long as it makes the same length. If the machined parts look different... worry.

Axles should be a non-interference fit, so clean the rust out.

Vigo
09-29-2009, 12:59 AM
The side thats almost flush goes to the flywheel. If you hold it up to the flywheel the other way youll see the crank bolts will hit the clutch hub before the friction material touches the flywheel, iirc.

The style of axle you posted is the newer kind. Probly all the rebuilders are rebuilding what they can get and sell most easily, which is the newer stuff. Its backwards compatible back to 87.

As for putting the axle back in, clean up the rust, slather it in never seize or grease and push it back in. It will probably be tight. when you get it in on both ends, and the lower ball joint isnt connected yet, you can grab the whole brake assembly and bang it backwards with your hands and use its weight like a slide hammer to smack the thing all the way in if it gives it ----.

Tony Fields
09-29-2009, 01:24 AM
A good way to get the axel out of the intermediate shaft is to drill
a hole in the int. shaft and tap it for a grease fitting. Then pump it full of grease and the axel will pop out. Takes a while so don't give up.

Also thats the type of axel that would not work in my VNT with the
A-568 tranny on the drivers side. The O.D. of the end was to large
and the clamp kept hitting the tranny hsg and breaking it.

Also if your carrier bearing is toast, this would be a good time to put
a long axel in and get rid of the intermediate shaft altogether.

That's what I did on mine and it works great. Torque steer is not
a problem.

Later,
Tony