PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 stock boost?

kuzman83
09-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Ok i'll admit it, I went joy riding at the local dealership the other day. I couldn't help it as they had a 98 5.9 liter grand cherokee and an 05 srt 4, both are cars i have never driven. The SRT 4 was running like 15 lbs of boost!
I had driven a caliber srt4 not too long ago and if i remember correctly, those things only put out like 7-10 lbs. So question is, what the 15 lbs of boost the neon srt 4 was putting out stock?

contraption22
09-27-2009, 10:23 AM
It could have been. They do not have a boost target. They have a torque target. The computer will vary the boost in order to reach it's torque target at WOT.

tommyturbo
09-28-2009, 05:16 PM
I've got a PT GT, same motor basically. contraption22 is correct. They do not have a preset boost level like our older cars did, the computer looks at elevation, temp, load, and how fast you open the throttle, and adjust boost accordingly. The throttle part was cool when i read that, and I have noticed on the pt it does respond with more boost if you simply quickly mash the gas than if you just gradually dip into it. However there is a rough target max of 14.7 psi if i am not mistaken.

gti_7
09-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Ok i'll admit it, I went joy riding at the local dealership the other day. I couldn't help it as they had a 98 5.9 liter grand cherokee and an 05 srt 4, both are cars i have never driven. The SRT 4 was running like 15 lbs of boost!
I had driven a caliber srt4 not too long ago and if i remember correctly, those things only put out like 7-10 lbs. So question is, what the 15 lbs of boost the neon srt 4 was putting out stock?

So howd the test drive go with both cars? howd you like each? ive always liked the 5.9 limited, i always like how chrysler goes crazy with some models and makes cars for enthusiasts of power :)

bernie

Tweeks_SRT-4
10-01-2009, 04:00 PM
My car stock when I bought it new was about 14.5-15psi of boost so that's about right.

DodgeZ
10-01-2009, 04:34 PM
the boost gauges in them suck. I think the range of boost is like 11 to 14. Depending on conditions. Their promises was that you would get the same performance even if it was hot outside.

CNH320
10-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I believe all autometer 20psi ultra-lite boost gauges that failed calibration/quality checks @ end of line were then routed down a secondary operation line to be built into SRT4 units. ;) They got a nice SRT logo on them and boxed up for Chrysler to put in the SRT4 instead of being scrapped. They are truely pieces of junk.

DodgeZ
10-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I believe all autometer 20psi ultra-lite boost gauges that failed calibration/quality checks @ end of line were then routed down a secondary operation line to be built into SRT4 units. ;) They got a nice SRT logo on them and boxed up for Chrysler to put in the SRT4 instead of being scrapped. They are truely pieces of junk.

that is funny, I have thought the same exact thing

CSXT802
10-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I've made my wife's stock 05 SRT-4 hit over boost fuel cut. Witch is over 18 psi. :nod:

kuzman83
10-27-2009, 10:28 PM
So howd the test drive go with both cars? howd you like each? ive always liked the 5.9 limited, i always like how chrysler goes crazy with some models and makes cars for enthusiasts of power :)

bernie

Well the drives went pretty well actually, the srt-4 was apparently owned previously by a 50 something woman that had "the need for speed" lol, owned it for 3 years got tired if it and bought a mercury montego hahaha. anyway, the srt was pretty quick, about what i expected. the lady had some cheap a$$ after market hood on it and the ugliest set of wheels i have ever seen. The jeep on the other hand was bone stock. The morons at the dealership had "fastest suv in the world" written on the window of the 98 limited, apparently they didnt know that claim is no longer valid haha. They even had a jeep srt-8 parked right next to it :confused:. I asked the guy about the "fastest suv claim" and he swore on its accuracy. I tried getting him to make a bet with me, If I can find a faster stock suv he gives me the limited for free. Unfortunately he didn't bite. The limited was surprisingly quick but I drove a dakota RT a while back that i think was about the same. Both were grossly overpriced and I wasn't planning on making a purchase anyway. I should have waited a little longer to joy ride that dealership as they now have a used challenger srt-8 :banghead: