PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat calipers?

neongary
09-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Wondered if anyone has had their calipers powder coated and if they do hold up to the heat. Powder coating isn't marketed as a high-temp coating, but I'm thinking it would work OK on calipers as long as one doesn't road-race or some other style of driving where you would get them smoking hot.

Mario
09-25-2009, 01:07 AM
I know guys that have done it. No problems. Just have to fully disassemble the calipers and then rebuild them.

neongary
09-25-2009, 01:22 AM
I know guys that have done it. No problems. Just have to fully disassemble the calipers and then rebuild them.

OK, cool. I'll work on that then. And no, they won't be red. :D

Polygon
09-25-2009, 02:14 AM
I know plenty of people using powder coated parts in high temp situations. I doubt it would hold up to exhaust temps but brakes are fine.

So, what's wrong with red?

neongary
09-25-2009, 10:31 AM
I know plenty of people using powder coated parts in high temp situations. I doubt it would hold up to exhaust temps but brakes are fine.

So, what's wrong with red?

Honestly, red calipers are a little bit overused. I mean that's all you see anymore. Besides, I'm not going to be using wagon wheels on my Lebaron, so you wouldn't see them anyway.

Sgt Craig
09-26-2009, 02:06 PM
OK, cool. I'll work on that then. And no, they won't be red. :D

Pink then? The Duplicolor caliper paint kit works really well.Its a brush on kit.

butchsuppe
09-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't do the bores just to be on the safe side. I don't know how thick the coating would be but I've seen chromed calipers lock up.

neongary
09-26-2009, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't do the bores just to be on the safe side. I don't know how thick the coating would be but I've seen chromed calipers lock up.
Yeah, I figured that the bores don't need to be coated.

neongary
09-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Pink then? The Duplicolor caliper paint kit works really well.Its a brush on kit.
Pink, Ok. Might be your favorite color, but I'll stick to black. :thumb:
I'll look for that Dupilcolor kit and see if that's a good alternative.

CoolV300C
09-26-2009, 03:33 PM
If they won't be seen, why bother? Just tell people that are! :eyebrows:

neongary
09-26-2009, 08:54 PM
If they won't be seen, why bother? Just tell people that are! :eyebrows:
Gotta do something. I don't like nasty, rusty parts. My entire suspension is all powder coated at this point, minus the springs.

135sohc
09-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Gotta do something. I don't like nasty, rusty parts. My entire suspension is all powder coated at this point, minus the springs.

Dont mind me asking, how much did that cost ?

bgbmxer
09-27-2009, 08:43 AM
where did you hear that powdercoating wont stand up to high heat? its baked on at 400 degrees

neongary
09-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Dont mind me asking, how much did that cost ?
Crossmember, control arms, spindles and other bits and pieces I think I have about $400 into it. Had the crossmember re-welded and reinforced, but that was done free by a buddy since I don't know how to weld. I should have mentioned that just the front suspension is coated. Haven't decided about the rear axle and pieces back there yet.

neongary
09-27-2009, 12:54 PM
where did you hear that powdercoating wont stand up to high heat? its baked on at 400 degrees
I never said that. What I said was that powder coating isn't marketed as a high temp coating. I'm well aware of how powder coating is applied. I wasn't sure how hot brake calipers can get during spirited use, that's why I asked the question. If calipers get over 400 degrees, couldn't the coating come off?

bgbmxer
09-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I never said that. What I said was that powder coating isn't marketed as a high temp coating. I'm well aware of how powder coating is applied. I wasn't sure how hot brake calipers can get during spirited use, that's why I asked the question. If calipers get over 400 degrees, couldn't the coating come off?

the rotors and pads will get that hot but the calipers will be less and if the calipers ever get extremely hot you will know it because your brake fluid will be boiling. powdercoating should be fine on the calipers but like any other paint prep is everything.

strang3majik
09-27-2009, 05:19 PM
the rotors and pads will get that hot but the calipers will be less and if the calipers ever get extremely hot you will know it because your brake fluid will be boiling. powdercoating should be fine on the calipers but like any other paint prep is everything.

lol...I painted the ones on my conquest with Wal-Mart red. Didn't even clean them first, just painted flooded the paint on til it stuck...lol

And...I'll tell you...a year later, and they're still shiny as the day I painted them. And, thats with quite a few 100+ to 0 on their watch.

So, if that'll stick, powder coating will be fine.

Polygon
09-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Did you have any trouble getting the control arms off?

neongary
09-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Did you have any trouble getting the control arms off?

Nah, piece of cake. I soaked all the hardware with PB Blaster first. They do look nice p. coated black. I have Energy Suspension bushings in them along with Moog ball joints.

Polygon
09-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Nah, piece of cake. I soaked all the hardware with PB Blaster first. They do look nice p. coated black. I have Energy Suspension bushings in them along with Moog ball joints.

I've got the same thing, just my bolts are rust welded to the inner metal sleeve.

neongary
09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
I've got the same thing, just my bolts are rust welded to the inner metal sleeve.

AH, yeah that can be a real problem. Soak 'em, heat 'em, pound 'em. Not sure what else you can do. Fit a hacksaw blade between the bushing and crossmember and cut 'em? I was lucky enough that all of the hardware I had to remove was relatively easy to do so.

bgbmxer
09-27-2009, 08:42 PM

same here. mine didnt go back in as well after all the welding on the k fame though:eyebrows:

neongary
09-27-2009, 08:50 PM
same here. mine didnt go back in as well after all the welding on the k fame though:eyebrows:
Oh man, I hope I'm not in the same boat. My stuff is still apart. My welder made a fixture just to make sure everything was straight. I do recall telling him to take it easy and not heat things up too much. I think he said he used the MIG method.

bgbmxer
09-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh man, I hope I'm not in the same boat. My stuff is still apart. My welder made a fixture just to make sure everything was straight. I do recall telling him to take it easy and not heat things up too much. I think he said he used the MIG method.

tight is a good thing. and even going from regular bushings to polys makes it didicult to install. look at my project in the project section and look at all the mods i did. u should be alright. its called 86sc track/ autocross car

shelbymopar89
10-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I did mine, had them powder coated then cleared ($40.00 each) and they have done great so far. about 5K miles, no road racing but they have been fine. On a side note I had a bleeder screw leaking a little for about a month on it and it wiped right off. I figured the powder coating would come off too, not at all. Looks perfect. Yes mine are red, but my car is too so am I off the hook?
http://www.shelbymopar.com/gallerybuilder/galleries/Almost%20done/ala.jpg
http://www.shelbymopar.com/gallerybuilder/galleries/Almost%20done/ama.jpg

Tony Fields
10-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Wondered if anyone has had their calipers powder coated and if they do hold up to the heat. Powder coating isn't marketed as a high-temp coating, but I'm thinking it would work OK on calipers as long as one doesn't road-race or some other style of driving where you would get them smoking hot.

Please tell us about your avatar. I think I see somebody in there.

Cool!

Tony Fields
10-01-2009, 09:14 PM
I did mine, had them powder coated then cleared ($40.00 each) and they have done great so far. about 5K miles, no road racing but they have been fine. On a side note I had a bleeder screw leaking a little for about a month on it and it wiped right off. I figured the powder coating would come off too, not at all. Looks perfect. Yes mine are red, but my car is too so am I off the hook?

Nice job on the complete setup...looks great!

Mario
10-01-2009, 09:29 PM

You always post great pictures and put quality work into your car. Nicely done.

shelbymopar89
10-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys! I try to help when I can. In hindsight I would have taken a lot more pictures and documented how I did things way better. So many times I see something on here that I would like to help out with, but dont have time to fully explain how I did them, so I do what I can.

neongary
10-02-2009, 12:21 AM

That's a sweet looking setup. LOL about the red calipers. They look just great on your car. :clap:
Looks like our suspensions are going to look similar in detail, including the Koni's. I'm having the spindles and brake adapters being coated now, calipers later. My stuff is all semi-gloss black.

neongary
10-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Please tell us about your avatar. I think I see somebody in there.

Cool!

Just a mutt and a rather ugly one at that.

strang3majik
10-03-2009, 12:45 AM
here's the only pic I have that really shows them...but, here's wal-mart red for you...about 8 month old paint in this pic. :p
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/blacknred.jpg