PDA

View Full Version : Alky and N2O?

jre97
05-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Ok I have a home built alky injection set up that i can run for extra fuel when i want to run extra boost. I want to run say a 50 shot of nitrous (wet) at the track. Anyone know how I should tune for that? I know that the intercooling effect of nitrous cuts down the amount of alchohol needed when the nitrous is engaged but to stave off detonation I need to add fuel for the nitrous as well. I'm just not sure how i should go about doing that.:confused:

puppet
05-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Look up "razor" in one of the turbo buick forums.

cordes
05-12-2006, 09:24 PM
I would probably get one dialed in at a time. Start with the nitrous and then the alky perhaps?

jre97
05-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Look up "razor" in one of the turbo buick forums.
Thanks! I'll do that

jre97
05-12-2006, 09:41 PM
I would probably get one dialed in at a time. Start with the nitrous and then the alky perhaps?
Well I figured to get the alky tuned in for a boost supplement since it would see more use than the nitrous. Then try to tune the nitrous with a really rich fuel jet and then gradually decrease the fuel jet size until my ET's were the best and I maintaine a good air fuel ratio, etc.... I was just hoping for a good starting point. Oh well I'm using an early block any way so it will be fun to see it come apart if nothing else:eyebrows:

Ground Rat
07-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Well I figured to get the alky tuned in for a boost supplement since it would see more use than the nitrous. Then try to tune the nitrous with a really rich fuel jet and then gradually decrease the fuel jet size until my ET's were the best and I maintaine a good air fuel ratio, etc.... I was just hoping for a good starting point. Oh well I'm using an early block any way so it will be fun to see it come apart if nothing else:eyebrows:

From what I've been reading that is the best way to do it. I would like to set mine up for alky and nitrous on pump gas. Check out http://www.alkycontrol.com/ for some top notch alky kits. Also, here is a very useful tool for calculating fuel jet sizes for a wet kit: http://www.robietherobot.com/nitrousjetcalculator.htm.

zin
07-28-2006, 11:22 PM

This is an excellent approach; get the engine dialed in before adding the Nitrous. When you do add the Nitrous, start with the "stock" jetting as it will already be rich given our higher than average (40 PSI) fuel pressures and the extra the factory adds in as a safety margin. I would suggest using the nitrous and alky at the same time as the alky has excellent anti-detonation properties, and can take the place of some of the fuel the nitrous system would require, the catch is you'd need to use it that way all the time, whenever the nitrous is used the alky would have to be running too. A good starting point for the nitrous will be 37 nitrous and 22 fuel (50HP ish), but expect that to be pretty rich, then lean it down by reducing the jet size in two number increments (i.e. 22 to a 20, etc). If you are using a wide band, a 10.5-11: 1 a/f is usually right for nitrous/turbo, though I've run n/a stuff as lean as 12.5 : 1. It made power, and was o.k., but I've always gone by the old saying that "lean is mean, but fat is happy". Also, a big part of making nitrous work is having the proper bottle pressure (950-1000 PSI or 85-90 degrees bottle temp), lower pressures will make the kit run rich(er).

Hope this was helpful to you.

Mike

Tony Hanna
07-29-2006, 03:48 AM
Another thought, when you get the Daytona back up and running, you really ought to spring for one of those westach egt gauges like the one I got from skysports. It kind of sucks because they did away with the free thermocouple deal, but the gauge is only $35, and the thermocouple is $25, so it's still not too bad. Maybe about $10 more than I paid for the combo deal. Definately worth the money for safety's sake when tuning a setup like that.

jre97
03-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Another thought, when you get the Daytona back up and running, you really ought to spring for one of those westach egt gauges like the one I got from skysports. It kind of sucks because they did away with the free thermocouple deal, but the gauge is only $35, and the thermocouple is $25, so it's still not too bad. Maybe about $10 more than I paid for the combo deal. Definately worth the money for safety's sake when tuning a setup like that.

Or I could wait around until you get tired of the car and get it from you:D . Although it is taking alot longer for you to get sick of this one:confused:

Tony Hanna
03-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Or I could wait around until you get tired of the car and get it from you:D . Although it is taking alot longer for you to get sick of this one:confused:

Yeah, I've kind of calmed down with that trading/buying/selling a car every other week crap. It's kind of hard to get one running the way I want when I don't keep it very long.:)