PDA

View Full Version : supercoupe intercooler?

jre97
05-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Are they any good? Better than no intercooler at all? Anyone know of any flow/efficiency tests on them?

89acclaim
05-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Better than the stock one. I know altered has some experance with them.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97762&highlight=supercoupe+intercooler

Daniel Merrill

jre97
05-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks. I was either going to cut the odd outlets off and weld somestraight aluminum tubing to it or cut the stock supercoupe piping in some manor to use it.

3Bar_Mopar
05-12-2006, 10:23 PM
I hate the odd outlets. That's the only thing keeping me from using mine.

altered7151
05-14-2006, 01:43 AM
I have a dual core made out of the supercoupe intercoolers and although I have yet to push it very hard, it does an awesome job of cooling. I did some research on them and the t-bird guys are running a pretty good amount of boost through them and putting out excellent numbers. You can pick them up for next to nothing, and I think they flow better than the stockers. I plan on doing some flow testing on mine this summer so I'll post up results. I was running a single sc intercooler on my charger, just bought some 2.5" aluminum tubing on ebay for like $8 and welded it to the stock fittings. Worked awesome in the car with the stage II lm, even "accidently" boosted up to 17-18psi a couple times with no audible detonation.

jre97
05-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Looking forward to seeing that.

Russ Jerome
05-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Our stockers flow 375cfm at 1.5psi.
The Ford units flow 410-420 depending on who you beleive.

More shorter tubes so it cant cool quiet as well as ours, I
just put a cooling fan behind mine on all the time.
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/heatsheild2.jpg

Tony Hanna
05-14-2006, 04:14 PM
That's a Turbocoupe intercooler isn't it Russ?
The Supercoupe intercooler (at least the one I'm thinking of) is layed out almost exactly like a stock Mopar cooler, just physically bigger and with the wierd ball flange connections for the pipes.
Tony

89acclaim
05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
The Supercoupe intercooler looks like this.
http://www.key-ideas.com/Ic_back.jpg
3" thick, 8" wide, 12" long. The overall length is around 20" - including the cast aluminum end tanks.

Daniel Merrill

Tony Hanna
05-14-2006, 10:24 PM
The Supercoupe intercooler looks like this.
http://www.key-ideas.com/Ic_back.jpg
3" thick, 8" wide, 12" long. The overall length is around 20" - including the cast aluminum end tanks.

Daniel Merrill

Yeah, that's the one.:nod:
I'd bet one of those in a TII side mount configuration would look almost stock at a glance. We'll see...

jre97
05-15-2006, 05:10 PM
The guys on sccoa.com say they're only good for about 400cfm. That's kinda low isn't it. If that's the truth I'd hate to see what my little talon cooler is rated at.

Russ Jerome
05-15-2006, 05:17 PM
That's a Turbocoupe intercooler isn't it Russ?

Your right, brain fart.....and I "just" looked at a guy at works
"supercoupe" cooler...gettin old :(

ps: you know that supercoupe supercharger is remote
mounted? Endless possibilities, maybe a Geo Metro 3
popper with a supercharger :)

Russ Jerome
05-15-2006, 05:20 PM
If that's the truth I'd hate to see what my little talon cooler is rated at.

Actualy those nipper coolers are Extruded Tube designs, usualy flow
a bit more for there size than similar Bar and Plate designs, like the
NPRs. Look in your talon cooler, not a lot slowing the air down thru
the tubes.

mech1nxh
05-22-2006, 12:08 AM
ps: you know that supercoupe supercharger is remote
mounted? Endless possibilities, maybe a Geo Metro 3
popper with a supercharger :)

???? I thought they were all manifold mounted? course I havent seen everything,
pics please!!! if you have time ...thx!!

3Bar_Mopar
05-22-2006, 01:06 AM
???? I thought they were all manifold mounted? course I havent seen everything,
pics please!!! if you have time ...thx!!

I thought they were too!

A friend of mine had a Cougar XR-7 with the Supercoupe engine....3.8 supercharged, etc...his looked manifold mounted, but I had a helluva time trying to figure out how his intercooler piping was plumbed. I just know it was weird, so who knows?

Russ....you know the MR2's and some of the Kompressor Mercedes cars had clutch driven superchargers similar to how an A/C clutch works....http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/Scnotes.htm Kinda makes me wonder how hard it would be to fab a clutch and pully system to work on a nice centrifugal charger...

Tony Hanna
05-22-2006, 05:42 AM
The Supercoupe sc is mounted to the manifold, but not in the conventional sense. Where a normal roots type blower discharges straight out the bottom into the manifold, the Supercoupe unit discharges through tubing to the intercooler.

Tony Hanna
05-29-2006, 11:53 PM
The guys on sccoa.com say they're only good for about 400cfm. That's kinda low isn't it.

If they're right about that, then anybody know approxamately how much power you could make with one before it becomes a cork?
Thanks,

WVRampage
06-04-2006, 03:03 PM
A buddy of mine in collage had a supercharger off of one and the 4 bolt flange could easily be adapted for a carb and the other opening on the rear could be adapted to go into about anything like my dads metro if you were so inclined.

Tony Hanna
06-04-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm still curious to know what horsepower range a 400 cfm intercooler is good for? I'd still like to side mount one in a stock configuration, but if it'll become a serious cork before 300 whp then I'll pass and try something else.