PDA

View Full Version : 85 Plymouth Turismo 2.2 High Output

ScottD
09-24-2009, 08:10 AM
I thought I'd do a project log of my latest project. I've done a lot of work to my 86 GLHS and 90 Dakota Sport but didn't document too much of it in pictures, so I thought I'd break that trend with the Turismo.

My first car was an 86 Turismo 2.2 high output. I got the urge to re-live my youth and picked up this 85 Turismo in October 2008. The car is completely rust free and is a high output 5spd sunroof car, which I'd been looking for. Despite the fact that they made probably 4000 or so of these they are extremely hard to find today.

Here are some pics of my first Turismo, the "new" Turismo being loaded on the trailer in Seattle, and after I gave it a bath when it arrived at my house.

ScottD
09-24-2009, 08:30 AM
The first step of the project was to address the interior. It was a bit of a mess. The previous owner's son drove the car for a bit and the carpet was a disaster. It also had seats in it that were not upholstered to my liking. The front seats were actually Recaro seats, but I'm 6'1" and they sat too high for me to sit comfortably in and are now resting comfortably in Turbojerk's parts hoard.

I took out the seats and carpet and in went a carpet that I got for free out of an Omni that Greg Sultner was parting. I installed seats from an 88 Omni that I had gotten in trade for Daytona bucket seats I had no use for. The seats were actually in my GLHS, I got the original GLHS seats re-upholstered and was able to take these seats for the Turismo.

I also installed a new headliner, which is pretty straightforward. JoAnn Fabrics sells some basic headliner material and I got the charcoal gray color I wanted from there.

The next step was to install better tunes. I raided a clearance rack at WalMart. I got a Sony in dash CD player for $50 and a JVC 6x9s for the back for $30. I also put Dual speakers in the front doors. This sounds much better than the factory tape deck I had in my first Turismo :-)

I gauge cluster was a mess too, the tach didn't work, half the gauges didn't work. I re-soldered the tach circuit board. I also found the main cluster circuit board had two bad pins on it. I got another board from a JY cluster and now all the gauges work.

Lastly, I decided to install a Grant GT steering wheel. I also installed a B&M shift knob and 87 GLHS shift console with the shift pattern sticker on it. I used a 90s shift boot from a Shadow since the L-body shift boots are known for tearing.

ScottD
09-24-2009, 09:13 AM
After getting the interior squared away, it was time to start on mechanical issues.

The previous owner has said the front wheel bearings were bad, a motor mount was bad and the car was unsafe to drive. He wasn't kidding.

I noticed when starting the car with the hood open that the engine rocked ALOT. It turned out the front motor mount was broken. Not the rubber mount, the metal bracket itself. I got another mount (thanks Crazy Mark) and installed Poly Bushing hard mounts lower and upper mounts that I had from another project that I didn't use. I also got a Poly Bushing trans mount and installed that as well.

When doing the mounts I noticed the first time I jacked the car up the driver's side front wheel had an unbelieveable amount of play in it. What had happened was the concentric bolt to adjust alignment was installed in the wrong spot which over time allowed slop and destroyed the front wheel bearings.

This was the perfect time to convert to 5 lug. So I got 5 lug front spindles from Steve Harrity. I picked up rear hubs and drums off a Shadow from a local junkyard. Installed new front wheel bearings (NOTE: SC/GLH 5 lug wheel bearings are different from the 4 lug) and ball joints (thanks to Turbojerk machine shop for pressing these in). New Poly Bushings control arm and sway bar bushings.

I put 15x6.5 crab wheels I had. I stripped and polished the lips and painted the centers using wheel paint from WalMart. I cleared the wheels too, they came out great. I got 205/50/15 tires from www.tires-easy.com for about $200 including shipping.

My GLHS donated more parts to the cause. I converted the GLHS to SLH1, so the Turismo got the new stock rotors and pads (they had about 2000 miles on them) and the original caliper mounts off the GLHS. I also had put new KYB front and rear struts on the GLHS. I sent the original Konis from the GLHS out to be rebuilt. When they came back, they went on the GLHS and the KYBs went on the Turismo. I also rebuilt calipers on the front and new wheel cylinders and shoes on the rear and bled the brake system.

The KYBs make the car sit higher than I'd like, so the next step is to install LRE lowering springs and then move to work in the engine bay. The first two pics are from last night after a thorough wash and wax and throwing in some much needed floor mats, the last pic is from first getting the 5 lug conversion done and also shows the 88 Omni interior in the car as well as the rear louvers I installed (thanks to Dave Skrab for those).

skitzo_inc
09-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Looks good! I've always liked Turismo's. :)

turbojerk
09-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Drop that somebitch!

ScottD
09-24-2009, 12:55 PM
The KYBs make the car sit higher than I'd like, so the next step is to install LRE lowering springs

T you must've been looking at dirty phone txts and TM at the same time again and missed this part ......

turbojerk
09-24-2009, 12:58 PM
T you must've been looking at dirty phone txts and TM at the same time again and missed this part ......

Apparently you missed the urgency in that post!:amen:

1FastCSX289
09-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I like the looks of those cars. Cool stuff. I liked your original one with the swiss cheese wheels.....that looks sharp.

ScottD
09-24-2009, 01:12 PM
T - It's going down, I promise.

1FastCSX289 - I debated putting 5 lug swiss cheese wheels on it but I had the crabs laying around and thought they'd look good with the lower silver gfx.

thedon809
09-24-2009, 04:31 PM
She is ready to go mudding :lol:. Looks really good though.

Vigo
09-24-2009, 05:21 PM
what kind of tires did you get?

Looks great so far!

ScottD
09-24-2009, 08:19 PM
They are off-brand. I think they are Geostars. They are directional and V-rated!

TurboTurismo
09-24-2009, 08:58 PM
WOW! The Turismo is looking awesome.....:nod:

Robb

Proud OSDAC Mod & Member
84 Plymouth Turismo TURBO

1/4 mile, 13.86 @ 100.48 with street radials
St Thomas Dragway
http://www.turbo-mopartimes.com/
www.ontarioshelbydodge.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291434

http://www.ontarioshelbydodge.com/forums/photoplog/images/10/medium/3_Misc_pics_005.jpg

turbojerk
09-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I've read in the past that those KYB's have the lower spring pirches welded on in a higher position for some reasion and effectively raising the ride height. I'd suggest goung for coil-overs to bring in back to earth...

ScottD
09-25-2009, 07:32 AM
I've read in the past that those KYB's have the lower spring pirches welded on in a higher position for some reasion and effectively raising the ride height. I'd suggest goung for coil-overs to bring in back to earth...

You could donate those nice Konis you have laying around to the cause????

turbojerk
09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
You could donate those nice Konis you have laying around to the cause????

I only wish that I had a set of Koni's laying around.....:(

ScottD
09-25-2009, 01:18 PM
What happened to the ones w/ 40k on them?

If you don't have any laying around that's ok, you can buy me coil-overs!

turbojerk
09-25-2009, 05:01 PM
What happened to the ones w/ 40k on them?

Them's on De-Whore!

85shelbycharger
09-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Car looks good Scott!

ScottD
09-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks for all the compliments. I hope to get into the engine bay this week and post more pictures.

ScottD
09-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Got some more accomplished this week.

One thing that always bugged me about the Turismo 2.2 package was that it didn't come with the small rear 1/4 ground effects. I always felt this made the car look a bit unfinished. I wanted to add these to my first Turismo but never got to it, so it was a priority on this one. I got the gfx pieces (thanks Billy Lofink) and repainted them. I also put on NOS Turismo mud flaps (got these from Bill Gamalski at SDAC 19).

The other thing I installed was the rear lowering springs. This dropped a good inch off the ride. Now ... if I was using different shocks struts than KYBs it might sit even lower, but I'm pleased with how the rear sits now.

The next step is to get the mud flaps and lowering springs installed on the front. I'm hoping to do that tomorrow night and then tear into the engine bay next week.

DC Turismo
10-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Glad to see you got them installed Scott! I never knew Turismo 2.2's never came with the rear GFX pieces. I still find that odd, but what do you expect, they did a lot of strange things that didn't make sense in the 80s with these cars haha

Car looks great, looking forward to parking mine beside it someday!

ScottD
10-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks Billy. I didn't use double sided tape on them either, I was able to get them pretty snug.

I got the front lowering springs in on Thursday night and hopefully the head will be off by one night next week.

I'm going to try and get it done before it starts snowing, but I'm def hoping to have it at SDAC.

ScottD
10-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Head is now off the car. What a mess of emissions stuff on the intake and exhaust manifolds. Yikes, no wonder with the Holley carb and this emissions garbage that these didn't run that great from the factory.

More pics to come soon.

ScottD
10-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Here's some proof as to why KYB shocks and struts suck. Look at this photo of the original rear shock and the KYB. The perch sits up so much higher on the KYB.

Also, on the front struts, the KYB strut mounts add height as well over say a stock Mopar strut mount.

With the LRE lowering springs installed the car now has a nice stance to it, but it could be better. At some point I'll put something else on but for now the KYBs will stay since they have like 2000 miles on them.

ScottD
10-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Some engine bay pics after the head removal and prior to detailing. The head and block are caked with grease. I cleaned the head (85 287 casting) and dropped it and the MP oversized intake and exhaust valves off at the machine shop today.

Look at all those parts on the floor .... some like the air pump are headed for scrap metal heaven.

Another interesting item of note. The HO carb'd cars got the D port intake manifold from the factory.

"Top Fuel" Bender
10-14-2009, 07:27 PM
That motor would look great with my 1" tapered carb spacer on it :eyebrows:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/thumbs/carbspacer-800.jpg ('http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/carbspacer-800.jpg')

ScottD
10-14-2009, 08:56 PM

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/thumbs/carbspacer-800.jpg ('http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/carbspacer-800.jpg')

OOOOOH how much Bruce?

"Top Fuel" Bender
10-15-2009, 02:06 PM
OOOOOH how much Bruce?

$48 :thumb:

john1320
10-17-2009, 09:18 PM

I always loved spacers, a nice way to avoid building a custom intake, and still see more plenum volume/ high rpm grins.:amen:

85shelbycharger
10-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Car is looking good Scott! Glad those gfx worked out for ya! Hopefully you bring the Turismo to the next SV get-together I come to!

DC Turismo
10-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Scott

If you wanna know about the vacuum line / emissions garbage deletion, let me know and I will get some detailed pics for you come spring time once my car is back out. It runs so much better and the engine bay looks so much cleaner without all those lines, especially the ones leading to the charcoal canister down the passenger fenderwell. Looking great though, keep it up!

ScottD
10-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Scott

If you wanna know about the vacuum line / emissions garbage deletion, let me know and I will get some detailed pics for you come spring time once my car is back out. It runs so much better and the engine bay looks so much cleaner without all those lines, especially the ones leading to the charcoal canister down the passenger fenderwell. Looking great though, keep it up!

I might take you up on that. When I took the vac lines off I labelled everything. I haven't yet decided how to hook it back up. I do know that I'm going to use a vacuum block and use rubber lines for whatever goes back on there.

neongary
10-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Not to hijack your thread, but the emissions removal brought back a few memories and thought you might get a laugh. I had a Turismo just like yours that I bought new in '85. I was shipping it overseas (military) and it was OK to remove the cat converter. (I had all the paperwork from the EPA.) So I did, but just prior to shipping I got a crack in the windshield. I had to have it replaced, but with the old windshield went the Mass. inspection sticker, which included emissions. So I figured, what the heck, I'll take it through emissions inspection and even if I fail, who cares. The car will be out of the country in a few days. The tech at a local dealer was told all this. He pulled the vacuum hose from the computer, plugged it with a golf tee and it passed. Go figure!

neongary
10-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Did you ever have trouble with the car getting vapor lock? I seem to remember having a issue with this. I figured that it had a lot to do with the fuel line running across the front of the valve cover. I thought there was a TSB regarding it, but never had it done. I think they had a electric fuel pump installed for a fix.

ScottD
10-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Did you ever have trouble with the car getting vapor lock? I seem to remember having a issue with this. I figured that it had a lot to do with the fuel line running across the front of the valve cover. I thought there was a TSB regarding it, but never had it done. I think they had a electric fuel pump installed for a fix.

No, I never had that problem with my first one. I did have a problem with it stalling on turns, but that was cured by a new carb.

ScottD
10-22-2009, 08:29 PM
More progress pics.

Degreased the block and the transmission. You can see the block is black once again and the trans is silver. I've never seen so much grease caked on. Interestingly as I was cleaning I noticed a plug in the back of the block where the coolant line would go if it was a turbo. Supposedly the HO carb cars got turbo blocks.

Started detailing the engine bay. There is something on the shock towers, rad support, everywhere in the engine bay. It isn't rust proofing stuff but whatever it is it doesn't want to come off. I had to use brake cleaner on it (which was a tip I got from Marcus86GLHS to use to remove the Rusty Jones rustproofing crap off the engine bay of my GLHS). You can see I did the top of the shock tower but not the sides, what a difference.

The cylinder head came back from the machine shop today. I had oversized MP intake and exhaust valves installed and the head mildly ported. The valves I think were 41.6mm for the intake and 35 or 36mm for the exhaust. I got these on ebay as NOS pieces.

I also painted the intake and tried painting the air cleaner top in chrome to look like an MP piece (since Billy "the parts hoarder" Lofink won't sell me his NOS MP one and I lost out on a bid on one on ebay recently). The air cleaner got a ton of dust in it, so I may sand it down and do it over, not sure yet. I wonder how much it would cost me to have one chromed?

Lastly there's a pic of my ever present helper in his usual spot, under my feet!!!

"Top Fuel" Bender
10-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Looks good
that's really coming along nicely

turbojerk
10-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Do you ware "Ninja" footies when you work in the garage??

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18182&d=1256256888

ScottD
10-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Bruce - thanks, I still haven't forgotten about that spacer. Are you going to see T at the DV meeting? Maybe you could give it to him and I can grab it to him for some test fitting?

T - that pic is actually in my basement, I usually work in the garage naked.

"Top Fuel" Bender
10-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Bruce - thanks, I still haven't forgotten about that spacer. Are you going to see T at the DV meeting? Maybe you could give it to him and I can grab it to him for some test fitting?

Sure no problem

T - that pic is actually in my basement, I usually work in the garage naked.

:wow1: good to know

ScottD
11-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Engine bay is finally cleaned and detailed. I don't know what was on that paint but it was a pain to get off.

ScottD
11-03-2009, 10:15 PM
"Shift improver" kit from later L-bodies installed. I think this came stock on the 88-90 L bodies. I used nice rods off a low mileage NA Rampage, new orange bushings, and the clips to keep the rods in place. I also adjusted the linkage so that 1st is where first should be (previously 1st was where 3rd was!). You can still get the clips and the bushings and while not as good as heim joints it does the job and was much faster/cheaper to do. Thanks to Steve Harrity for the tip on these clips.

ScottD
11-03-2009, 10:18 PM
New water pump, fuel pump and lightweight starter installed. Alternator cleaned up and re-installed.

Cylinders 2 & 3 look nice!

Last pics are the stock distributor and one from a 1.7 1980 L-body. The early distributor had vacuum advance. I need to do some more reading about the specifics of doing this mod and it may wait a little bit.

ScottD
11-11-2009, 11:13 PM
More progress.

Pics of the plugs I made for the intake manifold. I couldn't find a plug to fit the EGR fitting so I made small round plug, it sits on the seat in the manifold where the EGR tube would press. Came out pretty nice. Also made an EGR block off plate. All the emissions garbage is officially eliminated. I put a new 02 sensor in so I could run an a/f gauge off it.

Dropped the head on tonight too. These heads aren't too bad to lift into place by hand without a turbo hanging off them :-) I always have to use my engine hoist on the turbo cars.

briceturbosports
11-13-2009, 09:34 AM
, I usually work in the garage naked.

:wow1: i lost my coffee. thats an nightmare waitting to happen i never sleep well again

turbokid
11-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Wow awesome work.
It looks tons better then when you got it and I bet it will be a little screaming 2.2 forsure!
Q

ScottD
11-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Ok, I ran into a couple of snags.

I installed the Direct Connection valve cover (thanks to Alan Keithley for that) and the fuel regulator came into contact with the valve cover. The original chrome valve cover has some indents whereas the DC one doesn't. I had to make a bracket to relocate it, which wasn't hard but time consuming to get it located where I wanted it.

Secondly, I found the universal throttle linkage arm kit I bought had some issues. It put the throttle arm in the wrong position and wouldn't allow for the cable to fully open the throttle blades on the carb. I made another bracket to correct this then realized what I had done had no provision for a return spring. Doh! So I ended taking the arm off the original Holley carb and making it work. I had to cut it some to fit but it works great.

More pics to follow soon.

"Top Fuel" Bender
11-24-2009, 11:28 AM
that's what you get for messing with carbs :p

I think this is one of the more active blog I've seen in awhile , keep up the good work

DaveSkrab
11-24-2009, 02:03 PM
I think that Turismo should get a modern spin. How about a Neon SOHC Magnum Head on it with Fuel Injection! THat'd be sweet!

"Top Fuel" Bender
11-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I think that Turismo should get a modern spin. How about a Neon SOHC Magnum Head on it with Fuel Injection! THat'd be sweet!

DOHC neon head with bike carbs
I've done some dohc vw swaps with bike ITB's on ms :eyebrows:

Vigo
11-24-2009, 08:58 PM
DOHC neon head with bike carbs
I've done some dohc vw swaps with bike ITB's on ms

But then he'd have to go through the rest of the motor making it live up to the intake setup! :p

DaveSkrab
11-24-2009, 09:14 PM
But then he'd have to go through the rest of the motor making it live up to the intake setup! :p

This is why we're posting in the "project Log" section! ;-)

ScottD
11-26-2009, 12:20 AM

I do have a dual carb NOS manifold on the shelf .....

Fuel lines now all installed. Timing belt goes on next and UD pulley w/ belts.

Will get some engine bay pics soon.

ScottD
12-04-2009, 12:38 PM
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0915.jpg

ScottD
12-04-2009, 12:45 PM
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0916.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0918.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0919.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0923.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0924.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0925.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0926.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0927.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0928.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0929.jpg

ScottD
12-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Another snag I ran into was the coil wire. I wanted to have the engine bay have that slightly modified look of the DC valve cover, no distributor cover, some plug wires other than black, the chrome DC coil and distributor clamps.

Putting the coil wire on I realized without the timing cover there I had to find a way to keep the coil wire off the timing belt.

I ended up taking the air pump cover, cut it up and modified it. I painted it textured silver. I think it turned out pretty well and is different.

Pat
12-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Looks great!

"Top Fuel" Bender
12-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Sexy !!!!!!!!! Don't forget to check hood clearance so I touch up that spacer for you :thumb:

blk86trbo
12-04-2009, 01:14 PM
How in the heck have I missed this thread? Great work so far Scott, and thanks for posting all the pics!

I ended up taking the air pump cover, cut it up and modified it. I painted it textured silver. I think it turned out pretty well and is different.

Definitely ended up looking good...nice little custom touch :thumb:

I do have a dual carb NOS manifold on the shelf

Is there a supercharger on that shelf too? :eyebrows:

ScottD
12-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Sexy !!!!!!!!! Don't forget to check hood clearance so I touch up that spacer for you :thumb:

If I make it up to Craig's Sat night I'll bring it with me so you can see what needs done for now. Then we can test fit it again. The stupid air box on these things sits up pretty high, it might need some height taken off it.

ScottD
12-04-2009, 10:40 PM
How in the heck have I missed this thread? Great work so far Scott, and thanks for posting all the pics!

Definitely ended up looking good...nice little custom touch :thumb:

Is there a supercharger on that shelf too? :eyebrows:

No supercharger on the shelf. I entertained that idea and couldn't find one. Then Billy Lofink put the dual carb mani up for sale and I grabbed that. In reality the dual carb mani is probably a ways off. I have zero experience tuning a carb car (when I had my first Turismo in 1989-1993 all I basically did was change oil on it) so I want to fool around with that first.

The dual carb mani might go on with a header at some point. I'd like to see if I can have someone fab a short tube header. You can still get long tube ones through summit but I've heard horror stories about those cracking.

JDAWG
12-05-2009, 12:59 AM
poor scott having his midlife crisis lol

ScottD
12-05-2009, 11:04 AM
poor scott having his midlife crisis lol

Yeah, maybe I'll try and hook up with a 22 yr old blonde next .....

Captain Chaos
12-05-2009, 11:42 AM
What was the first year like 82? I remember my Dad working at a Chrysler Plymouth Dodge dealer in W.Va and my mom having a black demo. It was Christmas and we had gone shopping and out to lunch, I apparently had a "bug" and threw up in the front seat and myself. LOL, what a memory! Nice looking car.

turzbo
12-05-2009, 03:49 PM
awsome work, what kind of power did the h.o 2.2 have stock?

Pat
12-05-2009, 03:57 PM

Are you going to project log that too?

ScottD
12-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Are you going to project log that too?

No, I can't give away all my secrets.

ScottD
12-05-2009, 05:54 PM
What was the first year like 82? I remember my Dad working at a Chrysler Plymouth Dodge dealer in W.Va and my mom having a black demo. It was Christmas and we had gone shopping and out to lunch, I apparently had a "bug" and threw up in the front seat and myself. LOL, what a memory! Nice looking car.

The first year was 1982. There is a nice page somewhere on the web that has production numbers for the Charger and Turismo 2.2s. I have the link somewhere, if I can find it I'll post it.

The 85 and 86 Charger and Turismo 2.2s, if they had the 5spd, came standard with the 110hp (at 5600 rpm) and 129ft-lb torque (3600 rpm) high output engine. This engine had 9.6:1 compression and is the same engine as that the base GLH and Shelby Charger got. Automatic cars got the 96hp base 2.2.

The 82-84, it looks like the 1.6 or 1.7 was standard for the base Charger and the only way to get the 2.2 was to get one with the 2.2 package. Whether it was 5spd or automatic you got the 96hp 2.2. I have 1983-86 Charger/Turismo brochures right in front of me as I type this which is where the information is coming from.

Abkshelby
12-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Love the valve cover on there! Don't make me wanna get another carbed car. I know of a blue '84 GLH screaming for me to buy it LOL.

ScottD
12-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Love the valve cover on there! Don't make me wanna get another carbed car. I know of a blue '84 GLH screaming for me to buy it LOL.

I always wanted an 84 GLH, I like the look with just fog lights and swiss cheese wheels.

This is the list of performance mods I've done so far.

Weber 32/36 DFEV carb
UD pulley
88 TBI roller cam w/ 110 deg cam sprocket
Mildly ported G head with oversized MP intake and exhaust valves
NGK plugs
Magnecor wires
K&N drop in
Timing will be advanced to 14 deg
180 t-stat
Air pump removed
Remove flapper in air box

Future mods include 2.5 exhaust and either a vac adv distributor or a Mallory distributor. Hopefully it will run fairly well.

ScottD
12-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Ok, so I added something unexpected to the project list. Two weekends ago I parted out a car. In the back of the car was an Alpine subwoofer. I also just sold my Dakota Sport convertible. The Dakota had an amp in it the previous owner put in but I never could find a sub to fit the std cab and never hooked the amp up.

Out came the amp, in to the Turismo went the amp and the subwoofer. I ended up buying a new head unit that had RCA outputs on the back to make the install easier and the old aftermarket head unit will make its way into my GLHS. The amp installation was pretty easy, just tedious running wires.

I can now shake my garage with the Beastie Boys .... YES!

I have a couple more little things to tidy up and hope to crank it over for the first time here shortly.

john1320
12-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Man it's looking great! Keep up the good work, and please play "Intergalactic" :amen:

ScottD
12-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks!

Intergalactic will def be on the play list, but given my current state of dating I'll probably kick it off with She's Crafty haha.

turbojerk
12-17-2009, 01:26 PM
....given my current state of dating I'll probably kick it off with She's Crafty haha.

Hit it!

Forget it!

contraption22
12-17-2009, 02:21 PM
About the long tube hooker headers cracking:

I had one on my Horizon for a long time with no cracking. Even sold it in good condition when I was done with it.

I think the problem with the cracking comes from engine movement. I solved this problem by keeping the engine from moving at all. This was before the days of poly motor mounts. We welded an L-bracket to the K frame and linked it to the cylinder head with a long steel rod. There was then no fore-aft engine movement. I also made sure to use a good flex joint between the header and the exhaust. I think once you do this or something like this, , you should be fine with the long tube header.

ScottD
12-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Mike - thanks for the input. I had read something similar in another post on TD but if I recall it was by someone whose credibility I at the time likened to that of John Edwards.

I really like the flex joint idea though, didn't think of that.

It would have been ideal to put the header on now when I had the head off but it will have to wait for now. The next upgrade will be a 2.5 exhaust.

Maybe I can get JT to make me a short tube NA header and then have a short tube / ported stocker throwdown!!

turbokid
12-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Ok, so I added something unexpected to the project list. Two weekends ago I parted out a car. In the back of the car was an Alpine subwoofer. I also just sold my Dakota Sport convertible. The Dakota had an amp in it the previous owner put in but I never could find a sub to fit the std cab and never hooked the amp up.

Out came the amp, in to the Turismo went the amp and the subwoofer. I ended up buying a new head unit that had RCA outputs on the back to make the install easier and the old aftermarket head unit will make its way into my GLHS. The amp installation was pretty easy, just tedious running wires.

I have a couple more little things to tidy up and hope to crank it over for the first time here shortly.

Every car needs some bump in the trunk.
Plus on our hatch backs you dont need a lot of sub for a nice clean sound
keep up the good work :thumb:

"Top Fuel" Bender
12-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Maybe I can get JT to make me a short tube NA header and then have a short tube / ported stocker throwdown!!

THIS I'VE GOT TO SEE !!!!!!! :bounce2:

Dominic
12-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Paul's Boutique = BEST BEASTIES EVER!!!!

About the long tube hooker headers cracking:

I had one on my Horizon for a long time with no cracking. Even sold it in good condition when I was done with it.

I think the problem with the cracking comes from engine movement. I solved this problem by keeping the engine from moving at all. This was before the days of poly motor mounts. We welded an L-bracket to the K frame and linked it to the cylinder head with a long steel rod. There was then no fore-aft engine movement. I also made sure to use a good flex joint between the header and the exhaust. I think once you do this or something like this, , you should be fine with the long tube header.

I've heard about issues with the header cracking at the flange. I've welded/reinforced mine right where the runners meet the flange....But I like the support idea.....

+2 on flex joint.

ScottD
12-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Oh yeah, the car already has all poly mounts, so with the header maybe only the flex tube would be necessary. The only mount that isn't solid is the bobble strut which I left stock.

contraption22
12-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh yeah, the car already has all poly mounts, so with the header maybe only the flex tube would be necessary. The only mount that isn't solid is the bobble strut which I left stock.

Ahh... see I had no bobble strut because my car was automatic. I would still worry about some movement even with the poly mounts. They limit movement, not eliminate it. And with the long tube header, the end of the lever is way far away from the fulcrum. A tiny bit of movement at the crank centerline means a A LOT of movement at the header collector. A solid bobble strut wouldnt be a bad ide IMHO.

ScottD
12-18-2009, 09:01 AM
True. I had a solid mount in my GLHS and it made my teeth rattle. I ended up taking it out. This car is going to be driver and see a fair amount of miles, I'm not sure how radical I want to go with it.

contraption22
12-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Perhaps the stiff mounts in combination with the flex joint will be enough! Its worth a try. The header is pretty cheap, isn't it?

ScottD
12-18-2009, 09:35 PM
No, its 272 through Summit. Might be worth it eventually though if I can keep it from cracking, I just didn't want to spend that much and have a cracked $272 header after a while!

http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1986/make/DODGE/model/CHARGER/Department/Exhaust/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

ScottD
12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
IT RUNS!

But it doesn't want to idle. I will have to figure out how to get it to idle happily. I'm sure the fast idle, idle, and mixture need to be played with.

"Top Fuel" Bender
12-21-2009, 01:43 PM
IT RUNS!

But it doesn't want to idle. I will have to figure out how to get it to idle happily. I'm sure the fast idle, idle, and mixture need to be played with.

switch it to alcohol and put a FLYING TOILET BOWEL on it :evil:

turbojerk
12-22-2009, 06:14 AM
No, its 272 through Summit. Might be worth it eventually though if I can keep it from cracking, I just didn't want to spend that much and have a cracked $272 header after a while!

Too bad that you're not tight with a local welder that could possibly reinforce it so that it's less prone to cracking..... Hmmmm.....

"Top Fuel" Bender
12-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Too bad that you're not tight with a local welder that could possibly reinforce it so that it's less prone to cracking..... Hmmmm.....

I heard his under the table rates were a little sticky :yuck:

ScottD
12-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I heard his under the table rates were a little sticky :yuck:

Yeah, he wanted a form of payment I was not willing to offer!

Maybe I'll get the header and let Hoagie take it for welding and complete the transaction????

ScottD
12-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I talked to Weber today and they recommended the following initial setting of the carb.

idle - turn in til it makes contact with carb base and then add 1 full turn

mix - turn in all the way until stops then back out 1 full turn

fast idle - no initial spec

Hopefully I'll get the chance to play with it more tomorrow.

cdavis
01-02-2010, 12:49 AM

http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1986/make/DODGE/model/CHARGER/Department/Exhaust/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

I bought one of these several years ago, and I think I paid about 160.00 for it. If it was 272.00 I probably wouldn't have bought it. It may have been 5-6 yrs ago. I have the poly mounts and haven't had a problem with the header cracking.

ScottD
01-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I bought one of these several years ago, and I think I paid about 160.00 for it. If it was 272.00 I probably wouldn't have bought it. It may have been 5-6 yrs ago. I have the poly mounts and haven't had a problem with the header cracking.

Hmm. I am going with a 2.5 exhaust to help it breathe.

It has been so cold I haven't fooled with running the car and then I got SEM warm grey paint for Christmas and ended up re-doing all the interior panels in my GLHS.

This weekend I'm going to install the a/f gauge in the Turismo and hopefully add some new pictures.

84Turismo2.2
01-02-2010, 01:07 PM
WOW.. wish i had that kind of time to spend on my turismo. that's come a long ways. great job. i had some coating under my hood too. did the same thing you did to get it off. it was a brownish color. I have a Hooker Header on my turismo and havent had any issues. i'm running 2.25"pipe back to a high flow muffler. very loud no matter how soft i am on the throttle. i've also installed a tall K&N on top of a weber 38 carb on top of a B&M blower. Looks very interesting. had a few weeks to tune it before i left for iraq and ended up putting a small hole in the 3rd piston. it was a lot quicker. i did weld an O2 nut onto the header. then I added a 3-wire sensor along with TU's A/Fmeter after the hole was put in the piston. I like to work against my self :( I also installed MSD's Boost Timing Master. I'm planning on gettin it tuned right when i get back this aug.. the car's in WA right now. will be driving it home to MI, if i get the chrysler engineered Supercharged dyno engine i have out there to drop in. i have two blower kits now. i just need another L-body for this spare blower kit. cant wait to see this thing up close. Best Of Luck with completing your ride.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2146925

ScottD
01-02-2010, 04:16 PM
I checked out your cardomain page, very cool. I almost bought an 84 Turismo 2.2 about 10 years ago and passed on it.

Your post made me think about something I've already been sort of thinking about. With a turbo car, I've run straight through mufflers and a high flow cat as the turbo takes alot of the exhaust noise out of the equation. I'm not planning to run a cat on this car once the 2.5 exhaust goes on, so maybe some sort of resonator will be necessary. I see that the car came with a long resonator between the cat and muffler from the factory, hmmm.

Now out to the 24 degree garage to work :-)

cdavis
01-02-2010, 07:00 PM
i'm running 2.25"pipe back to a high flow muffler. very loud no matter how soft i am on the throttle.

I am running 2.5" with a Dynomax Ultraflo. I was kind of loud too so I added a cherry bomb glasspack where the cat used to be. It took all of the raspyness out of it, even at higher rpm it maintains a deeper tone.

ScottD
01-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Ok, outside temp was 19 degrees, my thermometer inside the garage was saying 29-30 and I have no heater in there. But I wanted to get it done!

Gauges are installed. I used these things called add-a-fuse circuits to power the gauges. Much easier than splicing into factory wiring. I goofed up and bought one instead of two. I only need power to the vac gauge when the lights are on, the a/f gauge needs power all the time, so running power off one add-a-fuse to both gauges didn't work. I'll pick up another one tomorrow and this will be done.

Vac gauge runs clockwise like our boost gauges. I'm used to that so that was what I wanted, it was hard to find one that swept this way, most run counter clockwise. This is an Auto Gage unit and the a/f gauge is one of Summit's.

Also included pics of the amp and subwoofer install in the trunk. I made a bracket to keep the sub in place and tucked the amp into the back recess of the trunk.

Lastly is a pic of the door on my 86 GLHS. For Christmas I got some SEM warm grey flexible interior paint. I took the entire interior out and painted everything except the lower door panels. This turned out incredibly well, with the seats re-upholstered and new headliner and now this, it looks like a new car inside now.

turbokid
01-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Very nice work!
Keep it up. That thing is turning out awesome. you are like the savior of this car.
Q

contraption22
01-03-2010, 02:05 AM
Awesome work, Scott.

84Turismo2.2
01-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Nice work. i'm goin to be installing some gauges as well. have that pillar gauge pod for two gauges from FWD like what u have. I'm goin to run a autometer boost/vac gauge and havent decided what other gauge to run in it. either EGT or Oil Temp gauge. not sure. i'm also wanting to upgrade to a Mallory distributor but i looked on the mallory 2010 catalog an no CHRY 2.2/2.5L distributor to be found. i'm hoping they might have somthing left at there warehouse or something. you planning on re-painting your turismo or is the paint good the way it is? keep up the wonderful work.

ScottD
01-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Mallory discontinued the 2.2/2.5 distributor BUT I called them and they said they could make another one as a custom application. It was pricey though at $500. Used ones are hard to find. I have a new vac advance 1980 1.7 VW distributor here that I can convert which I might do, we'll see.

For now the paint on the car looks pretty good, it has some dings and the pass side rear quarter has a crease in it, if I can get decals for the car I'm leaning towards having it painted at some point. But for the time being it is fine.

ScottD
01-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Got title and tags today.

Went to put on my cool "I get mine from Direct Connection" license plate frame and the dang thing wouldn't fit!

The holes wouldn't line up to the plastic thingys (very technical term, I know) the screws go into and the top hit the license plate light while the bottom hit the bumper.

I may be able to grind down the frame some to get it to fit, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Just waiting for a reasonably warm day not to try and dial the carb settings in.

ScottD
01-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Ok, since at 31 degrees it seemed that might be the warmest it will get until next week, I went out into the garage tonight. Got the idle set up. Not sure on the choke/fast idle if that is where I want it, I adjusted it but will have to start it again cold. Timing is set at 14 degrees. Had a bit of a scare when vac was 0 at idle and had flashbacks to my GLHS and the intake manifold gasket leaking causing idle problems. I'd tapped into the vac advance barb off the carb that runs to the spark control computer, thinking this might not be good, I moved the vacuum source to an unused barb on the brake booster (one that would probably be used for cruise control) and all was well with the vac readings. A little more fooling with the cold idle and then time for a spin.

Oh yeah, I don't ever remember my first Turismo idling this smoothly. Roller cam FTW!

WickedShelby88
01-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Sounds like it is really coming along Scott! I think this project is really cool cause your going n/a and especially with the carb.

ScottD
01-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Sounds like it is really coming along Scott! I think this project is really cool cause your going n/a and especially with the carb.

Thanks. I wanted to do something different. I never modified my first Turismo so I wanted to do this one what I would have done to the first if I had the time, money, and skills back then. Back then really all I could do was change oil and I just had enough money to put gas in it so I could go get beer and make it to the 24 hr diner :-)

84Turismo2.2
01-07-2010, 05:20 AM
thats funny. couldnt imagine what the price per gallon was back then. My turismo is my first car and it's older than me. i love it though. i found a guy in nebraska who has a dual weber side draft engine with the mallory 37 series dist. on it. has the DC valve cover on it also. i'm waiting for the YES i'll trade answer from him. i'm trading him a B&M supercharged kit for the eng. and the setup. i got 2 B&M kits so i'll have a supercharged turismo an then try an find a horizon or omni for the twin carb'd eng. to go into.
it took me about a week to tune my carb when i replaced it. i know it was in the summer when i did it too. once i got it dialed in it was awesome. i know i did just use the weber 38 without the supercharger and it woke the car up and made it a monster. A BIG DROP IN MPG's though. are you goin to be using the stock filter box? I think K&N still has a bolt up filter assembly for the top of the filter. fits under the hood too. i had that on my car for a while. i might have purchsed the last one. not sure. dave at positive impressions(in florida) said he made another set of turismo 2.2L decals when he made mine. he said he'd sell the extra set to me at a ceaper price cause he prolly wouldnt ever sell them. if u want me to see if he still has a set just let me know. military discount... their not exactly the same but they are pretty darn close. chek out my cardomain for pic's.

ScottD
01-07-2010, 08:57 AM
I've been in touch with Dave about decals and need to send him some pictures.

I am going to run the stock air box because I want cold air coming into the engine. Two things I'm thinking about doing are removing the flapper in the air box and running a smooth hose from the air box to the computer instead of that ribbed factory one.

I actually have an NOS dual carb manifold that may go on the car at some point.

I can't remember what gas was back then but I do remember getting Milwaukee's Best for $7.99/case ..... mmmmm, Beast!

contraption22
01-07-2010, 10:18 AM
It sucks when 31 degrees is a "reasonably warm day".

ScottD
01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
It sucks when 31 degrees is a "reasonably warm day".

Tell me about it, I should invest in a cannon heater, but usually keep moving and the heat from my large worklight is enough. It isn't supposed to get out of the 20s this weekend, ouch. I want to drive the car but if it snows tonight and they salt the road I won't take it out.

WickedShelby88
01-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Its funny you mention the cannon heater. I found one someone was throwing out and I took it apart and it had a loose wire. I plugged it in and it worked, but I had to take it apart again cause the vanes in the pump had froze to the metal and broke upon startup... Doh! still a repair kit is 20 bucks and its a multi fuel reddy heater!
On down the road I would love to pick up an O24 omni and go all out or an early SC. Before I knew what they were I ran across a rust free one for 600 dollars in central indiana.. Man that was the deal I never knew I could of had.

ScottD
01-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Put some miles on the car. Two issues.

Get a bad bog coming out of first gear while cold. Not sure if the choke needs adjustment or the mixture. I'll play with the mixture first.

Other issue is vibration. The gauge pillar pod seems to be vibrating some. I have poly mounts in it which are awesome except for this side effect. I do have a stock dog bone in it. I will have to tinker with that a bit.

ScottD
01-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Ok, I have the carb dialed in. This thing runs good for a carb car! I still have the stock exhaust on it so I expect some gain when I do that upgrade in the hopefully not too distant future.

The vibration was not the pillar pod but the gauge cluster surround. I put some foam insulation on the back of it and hopefully solved that issue.

I have about 400 miles on it so far and am really enjoying it, especially with the Beasties pumping out of the stereo. If it would get warm I will wash it and take some more pics.

blk86trbo
01-22-2010, 06:03 PM
I have about 400 miles on it so far and am really enjoying it, especially with the Beasties pumping out of the stereo

No sleep till Brooklyn! LOL

Glad to hear it's running well...let's see some more pics :thumb:

ScottD
01-22-2010, 08:38 PM
I want to take the sunroof out so I can say

"The sun is beating down on my baseball haaaat, the air is getting hot, the beer is getting flat"

I will post up more pics in the next few days.

blk86trbo
01-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I want to take the sunroof out so I can say

"The sun is beating down on my baseball haaaat, the air is getting hot, the beer is getting flat"

LOL SMFO (spit my food out)...that's great :clap:

Skligmund
01-23-2010, 05:26 AM
I can't wait until I have cash flow again. My 85 Turismo 2.2 has a foot or so of snow on it, and the POS carb won't let it run. I dream of the few days that I actually drove the car. They are so much fun. And get 30 MPG easy.

spacejunkie
03-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Scott,
Can you list the part number of the linkage retaining clips that you used? This is the 1st time that I have heard of a factory fix for the problem. I'm having a hell of a time keeping my linkages attached.
Thanks
Bill in SLC

ScottD
03-15-2010, 10:35 AM
4431318 - clip
4377239 - silencer

I have over 1,000 miles on the car now and the shift feel is pretty good. Well, when I mean pretty good to me it feels much better than my recollection of the shift quality of my 1st Turismo.

I need to get the car clean and post some final pics up, it is just now warming up here in MD.

spacejunkie
03-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks Scott! Gonna get them ordered up today.
Bill in SLC

ScottD
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
No problem. Your other option is to convert them to heim joints. I did that on my GLHS but decided to take the clip approach on the Turismo to save time and $. The heim set up is definitely better but the clips and silencers work great.

ScottD
03-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Another update. Car had been averaging around 22mpg back and forth to work, which is a 7-8 mile trip for me. Took the car on a long trip to Harrisburg this weekend and got 29.57mpg. Woot!

Still gotta get some pics. Exhaust will be going on the next couple of weeks.

DC Turismo
03-23-2010, 11:19 PM
You should do a fuelly Scott!

www.fuelly.com

:)

JDAWG
03-24-2010, 12:30 AM
man all you need is some double blade windsheild wipers and jam some run dmc and it would be str8 pimp!

ScottD
03-25-2010, 08:22 AM
I do have RUN DMC's greatest hits on CD. The Beasties sound good with the subwoofer!

turbojerk
03-25-2010, 12:39 PM
I do have RUN DMC's greatest hits on CD. The Beasties sound good with the subwoofer!

BS! You know damn well that you were pumpin the Back Street Boys outa that thing just the other day!:D

http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Brad/backstreet.jpg

ScottD
03-25-2010, 01:02 PM
That was not me. That was HP's car you heard that coming from as they were leaving Arooga's.

I was jamming Def Leppard on the way home from H-burg.

Skligmund
03-26-2010, 12:44 AM
God I love listening to Hysteria in the Turismo!

But it wasn't the Backstreet Boys, it was the New Kids on the Block!

http://www.freewebs.com/jordanknightdownunder/016.jpg

JDAWG
03-26-2010, 02:09 AM
God I love listening to Hysteria in the Turismo!

But it wasn't the Backstreet Boys, it was the New Kids on the Block!

http://www.freewebs.com/jordanknightdownunder/016.jpg

dont hate I seen them in concert when I was like 13 lol, them and debbie gibson, she was hot

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/50697624.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14CE81D66671FCCF25F08EF71934FA7917 BD901FDFC15DD7ACB01E70F2B3269972

ScottD
03-26-2010, 08:10 AM
dont hate I seen them in concert when I was like 13 lol, them and debbie gibson, she was hot

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/50697624.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14CE81D66671FCCF25F08EF71934FA7917 BD901FDFC15DD7ACB01E70F2B3269972

You strike me more as a fan of Tiffany.

With the amp and sub in the car, Armageddon It sounds awesome!!!

Also I've been listening to 3rd disc of the Led Zep box set, the drum heavy disc, which sounds great too, esp Poor Tom.

ScottD
04-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Ok, the exhaust went on today. I deleted the cat and went 2.25 all the way back with a 2.25 in/out resonator where the factory one is and a 2.25 in/out Walker super turbo muffler.

I kept the resonator because there was one from the factory and I didn't want the car to be overly loud as I drive this car often.

I drove it a little tonight and it is very mellow cruising but sounds nice and throaty under acceleration.

At some point I will post some final pics of the car!

Skligmund
04-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Can't wait to see it!

I'm budgeting a new Weber carb for my Turismo next month. I figure I'll be driving it regularly by June.

Skligmund
05-17-2010, 11:45 PM
I got me new Weber, time to install it soon (maybe tomorrow night I'll start on it)

Anything I should know?

ScottD
05-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Get rid of all the emissions garbage, especially the charcoal canister.

Put a new fuel filter on while you're at it. You can remove the fuel separator (the second bigger filter that sits close to the carb) if you want. I removed mine. You might want to put a new fuel pump on it while you're at it, they're cheap and easy to do.

When you take the throttle arm off the Holley, you'll need to file it a little bit to make it fit the Weber. Just a little bit though. Test fit often, you don't want ANY slack in it, the fit needs to be snug.

Run vacuum to the spark control module. You can run it off the advance port on the carb, but I have capped that and have it running off the brake booster and see no difference.

You may have to adjust the choke. Weber says this is unusual but I had to do mine. It's very easy to do. If the car bogs and dies while cold on it's maiden voyage it is likely the choke needs adj. If you want you can post a pic of the choke and I can tell you whether it will need adj or not just by looking at it.

The base idle and fast idle you'll just have to play with to get right. Same goes for air fuel mix. Either a screwdriver bit in a small socket on a universal or a "bendy" screwdriver is needed to get to the a/f adjustment.

Put longer studs in for the air cleaner, I used threaded rod and loctite. This way with more rod I put a second gasket on top of the carb as recommended in the MP 2.2 engines book. Every little bit helps :-)

That's all I can think of right now, but as my coffee kicks in I could remember more.

Skligmund
05-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Okay, until I can get in and remove the air pump, is leaving the vac line off of it the correct way? At this point, is there any reason to use any of the vacuum ported switches (maybe to use base settings when cold, and computer advance when warm?

The metal fuel vent line that was connected to the vapor cannister: Cap it, leave it open, run a fuel line somewheres?

I think I'll keep the fuel separator, if not just for ease of installation. I thought that it also regulated fuel pressure somehow?

Idle switch? I know this controls spark advance to a degree.

Thanks for your help, I didn't get to do as much tonight as I wanted to, I'm not exactly feeling the best right now.

I need to see if I can come up with some gaskets, nobody up here has any.

Skligmund
05-19-2010, 02:08 AM
Oh, and about a 1/4 mile down the road a guy has what looks to be another Turismo parked in his backyard... Maybe I can get it cheap. :D

ScottD
05-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Okay, until I can get in and remove the air pump, is leaving the vac line off of it the correct way? At this point, is there any reason to use any of the vacuum ported switches (maybe to use base settings when cold, and computer advance when warm?

The metal fuel vent line that was connected to the vapor cannister: Cap it, leave it open, run a fuel line somewheres?

I think I'll keep the fuel separator, if not just for ease of installation. I thought that it also regulated fuel pressure somehow?

Idle switch? I know this controls spark advance to a degree.

Thanks for your help, I didn't get to do as much tonight as I wanted to, I'm not exactly feeling the best right now.

Just get rid of the air pump and the vacuum switches. I used brass plugs to plug those holes in the head.

You'll use the one metal return line for the fuel separator. The small metal line (it points straight up) you can run a hose off it or leave it open. I capped this initially and it wasn't letting vapor escape, pressure was building in the tank and w/ a full tank of gas sometimes I was seeing gas leak from the cap.

Where is the idle switch you are talking about? Is that on the Holley itself? I think that's what you mean, I didn't use that, no need to, the Weber is completely mechanical, even the secondaries are mechanical (the Holley has vac operated secondaries).

I feel your pain about not feeling well, I hurt my foot working on my Omni on Mon night and now can't put any weight on it and am sitting here with ice on it as I type, ugh.

john1320
05-19-2010, 11:31 PM

Got mine at Rock auto online, check these n see if they help:
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # FJG120
FEL-PRO Part # 60260

Cheers

Skligmund
05-20-2010, 12:23 AM
What are the gaskets normally made of? I'm more than willing to make my own (I have done this more than once). High temp paper type? Cork? Rubber synthetic? Copper?

Shipping will cost 3 times as much as the part will up here...

ScottD
05-20-2010, 07:17 AM
They're like black paper basically, same type material as a thermostat gasket.

Skligmund
05-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Cool beans, I've got some of that. :D

Maybe it will stop raining and I'll go out and get more done tonight!

Skligmund
05-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Amazingly, NAPA had 3 of the gaskets at there warehouse, so I got 2 of them.

Skligmund
05-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Okay, so how do I get a vacuum operated secondary throttle arm, onto a progressive carb?

This

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/skligmund/Sl371823.jpg

onto this

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/skligmund/Sl371822.jpg

ScottD
05-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Two ways to attack this.

I kept that U shaped armature and removed a washer from the throttle arm so that it and the Holley throttle piece would fit. This is Pic 1.

In pic 2, on a spare Weber I picked up, the prior owner removed the U shaped piece and fabricated a little arm out of what looks like clothes hanger. In my opinion this is more difficult.

I also attached a pic so you can see how my choke is adjusted. See that little mark on the plastic choke housing? It should be around 11o'clock so as pictured.

Also for the studs I used threaded rods and loc-tite'd the nuts to them at the bottom.

Skligmund
05-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Makes sense now!

I just need to figure out how to get the throttle arm off the 6520... Seems like they went out of their way to make it difficult. Any suggestions?

ScottD
05-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Makes sense now!

I just need to figure out how to get the throttle arm off the 6520... Seems like they went out of their way to make it difficult. Any suggestions?

Use a dremel w/ a grinding stone and grind that tab off :-)

ScottD
05-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Put on a set of centurions today that I just restored. Not sure which I like better, the centurions or the crabs. I feel like both look good, but the crabs bring out the two tone color of the lower ground effects better.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/Turismocenturions.jpg

Skligmund
05-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I think the crabs look better with the lines of the car. Nice job with the restore though!

Time to charge up my dremel... :P

86seeS
05-22-2010, 11:30 PM
love the centurians on there man this thread has inspired me to do an 2.2 HO car next i know where a light yellow tan interior turismo is could be a good canidate. awesome work for sure

r2kool4u
05-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Very nice. Loving the look with either set of wheels. Its what ever you think is better.

"Top Fuel" Bender
05-25-2010, 07:48 PM
he should buy my fresh set of powder coated chrome rims off me :eyebrows:

SilverShelby
07-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Great looking Turismo

turbokid
07-28-2010, 10:43 PM
I love Centurions but man I really like those crabs better on the car. But it looks AWESOME!

ScottD
07-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I just repainted the crabs.

The duplicolor wheel paint I used was starting to flake off. I used tal-strip and stripped the duplicolor off as well as the original paint the factory used.

Hopefully the second coat of duplicolor holds up, the crabs will probably go back on at some point.

Darkapollo
07-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Scott, I can powder coat them if the spray paint comes off again.

ScottD
07-29-2010, 07:53 AM
I will keep that in mind. I'm hoping the bare aluminum has a bit more bite to it than the original painted surface.

blk86trbo
07-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Your car is really coming together nicely Scott :thumb:

ScottD
07-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks Paul!

I should mention that I recently picked up a long tube header for it and have been debating when to go ahead and put that on.

turbojerk
07-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Drop....

Dan77
08-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Great car! I had an 86 auto Turismo 2.2 so it just brings me back... my first car.

ScottD
08-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Great car! I had an 86 auto Turismo 2.2 so it just brings me back... my first car.

Thanks. My first car was an 86 Turismo 2.2 almost exactly the same as this one, at times I feel 16 again when driving it, especially when I'm say blasting Def Leppard :-)

Reeves
08-18-2010, 11:35 AM

Is this just a spacer, or also an adapter? Does it adapt from one carb to another?
If not, why is it tapered?

No, I never had that problem with my first one. I did have a problem with it stalling on turns, but that was cured by a new carb.

I have the problem with stalling on turns with my newly acquired 83 Scamp. :confused2:

I had me one of those once......cost me a lot of money....but it was good ride.

i've also installed a tall K&N on top of a weber 38 carb on top of a B&M blower. Looks very interesting. I'm planning on gettin it tuned right when i get back this aug.. the car's in WA right now. will be driving it home to MI, if i get the chrysler engineered Supercharged dyno engine i have out there to drop in. i have two blower kits now. i just need another L-body for this spare blower kit. cant wait to see this thing up close. Best Of Luck with completing your ride.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2146925

Love the look of your car!
I have a L-body for that supercharger to go on! :eyebrows:

man all you need is some double blade windsheild wipers and jam some run dmc and it would be str8 pimp!

Make sure the double blade wipers are either chrome or originally bright red with bad sun fade! :thumb:

Your project looks AWESOME Scott! Love the looks of that car and the engine bay!

I'm wanting to get rid of all the emissions crap on my 83 Scamp, although there isn't a whole lot (no air pump). I like the idea of a mechanical secondary carb.

Where are you guys getting this said Weber?

ScottD
08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
I got the carb through http://www.webercarbsdirect.com.

135sohc
08-18-2010, 02:05 PM
I like your Avatar.

Reeves
08-18-2010, 02:18 PM
I got the carb through http://www.webercarbsdirect.com.

I've been looking on ebay. LOL.

I got these (4) FBG 45mm Mikunis laying here.... with intake manifolds.....

ScottD
08-18-2010, 02:27 PM
I have an NOS dual carb manifold and NOS side draft weber laying around and an MP long tube header. Whether any of these makes it on the car remains to be seen, maybe at some point.

54inches
08-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks Scott, looking good. Let me know if you want to get rid of any of those parts. :)

austinlarg
12-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey Scott are you still working on the car? I am going to begin working on my 84 Turismo and was wondering if you could help out. I have no experience working on cars but am determined to get it going. Any resources you can think of for me to check?

ScottD
12-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Still driving it haven't really done any work lately other than a coolant temp sensor replacement.

What help do you need?

ScottD
12-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Still driving it haven't really done any work lately other than a coolant temp sensor replacement.

What help do you need?

austinlarg
12-10-2010, 09:07 PM

What help do you need?

Well just as a summary

Its an '84 with 86,000 miles on it. From 1998 to 2009 it has been sitting in my grandfathers garage after he rebuilt the carb and waxed it. I took it out and decided to work on it and see if I can get it going.

Changed the oil and filter, new battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires, cleaned the air filter (K&N), and then took it for a spin. Drove it 12 miles to where I live now and it has been sitting again. I looked at it last week and theres rat crap everywhere in the engine bay.

My idea is to clean the engine bay, change the vacuum hoses (car would squeal, idle really high, and then quiet down and die), and tear apart the interior. My problem is that I've never worked on a car and don't know if I should change the settings on the carb like you did to yours early on with your '85. Maybe that caused the rough idling. And I really don't know where to start.

Any help would be great.

ScottD
12-10-2010, 09:27 PM
The squealing is probably one of the belts (ac, power steering, or alternator). One or more may be loose. Check the deflection in the belts and make sure they are within spec.

Did you check the gap on the plugs? Since you did plugs and wires I would also change the fuel filter and the distributor cap and rotor as well.

It should idle at 2000 rpm when cold and then once warmed up settle down to 1000 rpm. I didn't really change any settings on my carb ... I changed the whole carb. I went from the stock Holley to a Weber. This allowed me to eliminate most of the vac lines and I got rid of all the emissions garbage.

You may not need a new carb though. Did it run properly after the carb was rebuilt or did the stalling problem start at that time?

austinlarg
12-10-2010, 11:14 PM
The squealing is probably one of the belts (ac, power steering, or alternator). One or more may be loose. Check the deflection in the belts and make sure they are within spec.

Did you check the gap on the plugs? Since you did plugs and wires I would also change the fuel filter and the distributor cap and rotor as well.

It should idle at 2000 rpm when cold and then once warmed up settle down to 1000 rpm. I didn't really change any settings on my carb ... I changed the whole carb. I went from the stock Holley to a Weber. This allowed me to eliminate most of the vac lines and I got rid of all the emissions garbage.

You may not need a new carb though. Did it run properly after the carb was rebuilt or did the stalling problem start at that time?

I remember reading somewhere that the alternator belts always seem to be loose with these cars.

I didn't gap the plugs myself. They were already done. I did change the fuel filter as well but not the cap or rotor.

Unfortunately for me, I live in California and can't get rid of all the "emissions garbage" cause I need to get it smogged. It did run properly after the rebuild.

My main concerns are:

1) Has trouble starting for the first time. I figure it's a given with how old the car is.
2) Squealing when it does start
3) High idle and then dying
4) When I drive it, I feel like I'm going to break the steering wheel. I think it was you that installed a Grant steering wheel. I may have to do that.
5) The ride is REALLY rough when I drive. I feel like the car is going to fall apart every time I hit a bump.

ScottD
12-11-2010, 01:13 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the alternator belts always seem to be loose with these cars.

I didn't gap the plugs myself. They were already done. I did change the fuel filter as well but not the cap or rotor.

Unfortunately for me, I live in California and can't get rid of all the "emissions garbage" cause I need to get it smogged. It did run properly after the rebuild.

My main concerns are:

1) Has trouble starting for the first time. I figure it's a given with how old the car is.
2) Squealing when it does start
3) High idle and then dying
4) When I drive it, I feel like I'm going to break the steering wheel. I think it was you that installed a Grant steering wheel. I may have to do that.
5) The ride is REALLY rough when I drive. I feel like the car is going to fall apart every time I hit a bump.

1) Are you pumping the gas pedal a couple of times before you start it?
2) Check belts. Alternator belt adjustor on early L-bodies isn't the best and can fail.
3) High idle is normal when cold. When warm base idle may need adjusted. Might want to check vac line to choke also.
4) The Grant wheel is smaller, I like it.
5) L-bodies typically ride a bit rough. It could need shocks or struts though, at 86k if they've never been replaced it might be time.

austinlarg
12-11-2010, 01:27 AM
Sounds good.

How do you know if steering wheels are compatible with the Turismo? I found a 13" Grant steering wheel and need to know if it will work. Here is the link:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/2104703039.html

ScottD
12-11-2010, 10:07 AM
You will need the adapter. There are two. One is 2 inches long the other is 1 inch long. Most people use the 2 ich w the one inch on top of it. I'm using two 2 inch ones because I'm 6'1" and wanted the wheel a little closer to me.

ScottD
06-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Raced the car today. Best run was 16.81 at 80.05 mph. Got six runs in car ran better with each run felt good. Might be time to put the header on.

JDAWG
06-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Raced the car today. Best run was 16.81 at 80.05 mph. Got six runs in car ran better with each run felt good. Might be time to put the header on.

you go to mason dixon? next time send me a msg, I sat around and didnt do anything all day, well except work till 3

ScottD
06-04-2011, 10:42 PM
you go to mason dixon? next time send me a msg, I sat around and didnt do anything all day, well except work till 3

Nope went to 75 80 today.

Pat
06-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Nope went to 75 80 today.

Carb power!

JDAWG
06-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Carb power!

spray it?

ScottD
06-05-2011, 09:12 AM
spray it?

All motor baby!

vntned
06-06-2011, 10:49 PM
16.8 aint bad. Years ago my brother in law ran his near stock(2.25 catback), low mile '83.5 SC down the 1/4. I believe his best was a 17.1 at 79mph. Shortly after he had to replace the clutch and cat, and still claims those were slowing him down.

Years before that I had a carbd GLH that with just a gutted airbox and 2.25'' exhaust ran 11.22 in the 1/8th mile(translates to a 17.4 1/4mile et). It had a faulty carb at the time and the secondary wasnt opening.

Ive since built a few hotter carb setups but never got around to running them. I imagine theyd have run 16 flats or better. The header will definately help!

A real cam would be nice too!

ScottD
06-07-2011, 10:14 AM
The cam is an 88 tbi roller.

The car has a full 2.25 inch exhaust.

I think with a few more runs I might have been able to get the et down to 16.6.

Skligmund
08-25-2013, 03:13 PM
So how is the Turismo holding up?

ScottD
08-25-2013, 04:23 PM
So how is the Turismo holding up?

I don't know :-( I sold it to a guy in Canada and have never heard from him again.

Skligmund
08-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Bummer!

Mine has become the daily driver I wanted it to be. 86'd the emissions as recommended by you, and got the weber working very well. Deleted the cat and air pump. Sounds pretty awesome now. Just have what I think is a failing alternator causing me ignition grief. Other than that the old rust bucket does pretty good.

Vigo
08-27-2013, 01:37 PM
As a consolation prize ScottD should offer up a thread on his Shadow. Following along on Facebook is hit and miss! :p

ScottD
08-27-2013, 03:02 PM
As a consolation prize ScottD should offer up a thread on his Shadow. Following along on Facebook is hit and miss! :p

HA! I thought about doing a p-log on it but didn't take enough pics. So far the Shadow has been awesome, I drove it to work today.