PDA

View Full Version : Speedo jumpy all the time.

Username
09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
So the speedo on my 86 GLHS jumps around everywhere and is NEVER right. Not at idle, rest, or cruise and definitely not while accelerating. It also sounds like some turbo dodge gremlins are behind the cluster clanging victory bells at my frustrations when that cop is behind me and I can't check my dang speed. I'm sure it's just the cable or the speedo itself(possibly the clanging sound?), but I was hoping someone's had this prob before and could give me an idea of what part I'll need so I can grab it before I take the cluster out. Thanks in advance.

bakes
09-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Remove your cluster and slide the speedo cable from out of its cover lube with a rubber grease and restall it should slove it.

88_pacifica
09-20-2009, 08:00 PM
might be the speed sensor as well...

bakes
09-20-2009, 09:01 PM
might be the speed sensor as well...

86 cluster is cable driven speed sensor is only for cruise and AIS funtions

Ondonti
09-20-2009, 09:02 PM
how would a bad cable be turning while the car is stationary?

black86glhs
09-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Mine did it Brent. I think it has more to do with the speedo for reading wrong at a stop. See below.
Spray the speedo gears with a good penetrant like PB-Blaster. It works best to pull the speedo out of the cluster to do this. The gears on mine were very stiff and didn't turn smoothly until I did this. Now, works like new

minigts
09-20-2009, 09:43 PM
The day my speedo started jumping around, my transmission went out shortly thereafter. :(

black86glhs
09-20-2009, 09:48 PM
the day my speedo started jumping around, my transmission went out shortly thereafter. :(shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Username
09-21-2009, 12:28 PM
The day my speedo started jumping around, my transmission went out shortly thereafter. :(

YES....shhhhhhh. Like we don't have enough problems by just owning these freakin cars, we need evil tranny juju put on us too.:eek: I'll try the cable and the speedo thing, because they both sound like possible causes for the clanging noise. Thanks for the advice.

minigts
09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

YES....shhhhhhh. Like we don't have enough problems by just owning these freakin cars, we need evil tranny juju put on us too.:eek: I'll try the cable and the speedo thing, because they both sound like possible causes for the clanging noise. Thanks for the advice.

WEEELLL you'll hear some noise before it goes out, that I can assure you. The guy told me when he took the transmission apart, it fell into pieces. He was very surprised I could even drive it to the shop based on how it was. I'm sure yours is fine. ;)

Username
09-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Pulled speedo, turns out there's a little piece of copper wire coiled up behind the needle that seems to keep resistance on it while the speedo cable spins the other gears. Mine somehow got looped over some metal tangs on the side of it and got wound and bent all weird so I untangled them and it stopped jumping around at least and no more metal gremlins, but the speedo is way off. I tried spinning the needle to wind the coils tight and get it to rest on zero, then as soon as I drove it, it was way off. Time for a new speedo. Thanks for the help fellas.