PDA

View Full Version : Long shaft vs Equal length

shelbyES
09-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm going to auto cross my car next year and have all equal length shafts but I am missing half shaft and the carrier. I know that a unequal length will go right in but am I going to have issues with hard excellerating out of corners with the long shaft or any other issues?
Any info would be appreciated!

Thank, Curt.

turbovanmanČ
09-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Now you've done it, this will start a TM war again. :banghead:

My personal experience, I've got poly everything and basically used both setups back to back and found the equal length didn't pull as much, others claim no difference, this is with an open diff, haven't needed to test with my OBX.

Now the draw backs to the equal are stub shaft NLA, bearing NLA and if it lets go, can cause mucho damage but I still run one, 6 years, no issues and i have a brand new one off Ebay waiting to go on if need be.

If autocrossing, make sure you have poly mounts and bushings for a good start.

RoadWarrior222
09-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Yup, I think there's more traction in the rest of the front end than the axles... but I'll say that a third factor is, I have had unequal without and now with a damper weight, and although the damper was only meant to cure NVH, I think it evened it up quite a bit and it feels better in slippy conditions.

shelbymopar89
09-20-2009, 09:03 AM
I dont think anybody has ever tried this before :angel:

cordes
09-20-2009, 10:19 AM
There are several threads about this if you want to wade through all the other posts.

General consensus is that it doesn't make much of a difference if you have the engine centered and good mounts. The L body guys especially can't tell the difference.

Ondonti
09-20-2009, 10:29 AM
You don't have the parts. Whats important, money or hopes and dreams that unequal will somehow win a race and long wont......?

My car pulls left and right, whichever seems to have the best grab on the road. Not much you can do about that, even a diff won't help that, its jsut great for avoiding 1 wheel peels around corners.

Big_P
09-20-2009, 11:26 PM
17psi for me I could take my hands off the steering wheel on a good 1st gear pull and it'd go straight. (Unequal length half shafts, originally had it). 89 GTS TII

black86glhs
09-20-2009, 11:30 PM
There are a large number of women who buy into the "long shaft" theory. Me being a equal length guy, I say it brain washing on their part.:eyebrows:

neongary
09-20-2009, 11:47 PM
There are a large number of women who buy into the "long shaft" theory. Me being a equal length guy, I say it brain washing on their part.:eyebrows:

I don't think that it's the length that really matters it's the diameter.
Driveshaft shop sells some fat ones and they are of unequal length.
My woman says she likes my thicker shaft, but hey to each there own.:D

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/pdetail.php?pid=44

black86glhs
09-20-2009, 11:51 PM

Ah yes, I forgot about that part. Good info.

turbovanmanČ
09-21-2009, 02:15 AM

You 2 wanna get a room? :confused: sheesh, :eyebrows:

shelbymopar89
09-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Here are the DSS ones in the flesh!
http://www.shelbymopar.com/gallerybuilder/galleries/Almost%20done/bap.jpg

Nemesismachine
09-21-2009, 09:41 AM
I have the same DSS axles, they claim no TS. Maybe thats just a selling point so you buy em though...

neongary
09-21-2009, 10:13 AM
You 2 wanna get a room? :confused: sheesh, :eyebrows:
Don't know what you are talking about. :D
Just providing some insight on the DSS products and their take on unequal length driveshafts.

black86glhs
09-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Don't know what you are talking about. :D
Just providing some insight on the DSS products and their take on unequal length driveshafts.Our comments had him hot and bothered. :clap:

Vigo
09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
long, thick? why not do both?

That's what a lot of women do.. but not always at the same time.

har har

turbovanmanČ
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Our comments had him hot and bothered. :clap:

No, disturbed is more like it, ;)

Vigo
09-21-2009, 08:22 PM
No, disturbed is more like it

finding out new things about yourself can be scary.. heheheh

Big_P
09-22-2009, 11:16 AM

o.O

30 PSI SHADOW
09-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Here are the DSS ones in the flesh!
http://www.shelbymopar.com/gallerybuilder/galleries/Almost%20done/bap.jpg

they look stock autostone,just with fancy blue boots......

shelbymopar89
09-25-2009, 12:45 PM
they look stock autostone,just with fancy blue boots......

4340 chrome moly is far from autozone specs.....dealing with aircraft landing gear parts grade metal here.
http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/4340.asp#Spec

cordes
09-26-2009, 12:43 PM
4340 chrome moly is far from autozone specs.....dealing with aircraft landing gear parts grade metal here.

I have read that they still use the stock Saginaw ends. Is that true?

RoadWarrior222
09-26-2009, 02:05 PM

Which ends? Can't remember anyone breaking a wheel end, but have heard of a few breaking the tranny end, so that would suck.... but maybe they polish and heat treat them or something... they're sometimes kinda scored in the waist area and relief of the stress risers there should do something.

Edit: come to think of it though, it's safer if they are "fused" at the tranny side.

cordes
09-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Which ends? Can't remember anyone breaking a wheel end, but have heard of a few breaking the tranny end, so that would suck.... but maybe they polish and heat treat them or something... they're sometimes kinda scored in the waist area and relief of the stress risers there should do something.

Both the inner and outer tripod joints.

shelbymonster
09-26-2009, 08:20 PM
now im running unequal on the charger , it pull a bit on the driver side but did too with the half shaft so now big change for me , im running a lot of boost it spins the 3rd at 40 mph in peak boost lol but the driver side wheel try to spin more than the other side

shelbyES
10-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Oops! Don't want to start a TM war! Peace to all TM brothers and sisters!

I did some reading and Driveshaftshop would be awsome axles but don't 800.00 clams to throw down!, all replys are awsome and will be a great help!

Poly Bushings are on order!

Think I'll try a unequal length first if I can find one for a decent price other wise I'll get with Simon if you still have it when I'm ready.
Curt.

BadAssPerformance
10-05-2009, 02:07 PM

Actually, the ends are chrome moly too, made to DSS specs by one of the axle OEMs... I've talked to DSS at length about their axles.

They are the strongest axles anyone makes for our cars hands down, they do ok in my car :)

+1 to all of the above on "center the engine" and "get a good alignment" for reducing torque steer.

For auto-X? as far as axle durability, look at the articulation of the suspension and joint angle and plunge. If you are breaking axles do to the joints, it might be an angle or plunge issue, not axle strength. If you break the shaft... time for better axles.

cordes
10-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Actually, the ends are chrome moly too, made to DSS specs by one of the axle OEMs... I've talked to DSS at length about their axles.

They are the strongest axles anyone makes for our cars hands down, they do ok in my car :)

+1 to all of the above on "center the engine" and "get a good alignment" for reducing torque steer.

For auto-X? as far as axle durability, look at the articulation of the suspension and joint angle and plunge. If you are breaking axles do to the joints, it might be an angle or plunge issue, not axle strength. If you break the shaft... time for better axles.

Thanks for that info JT. I had read it both ways.