PDA

View Full Version : Next Project Dodge Dakota Turbo 2.5

southkurtk
09-18-2009, 07:18 AM
So.. Im planning my next project, and my goal is to make a 300whp Dodge Dakota preferably a 94-95 because they come with the k series 2.5 and a stronger ax-15 tranny. Will swap in a supra tranny if i have problems as in my research i found it is a a direct swap with the 94-95 belhousing. So my plan is to pull the engine throw all turbo componets in like rods, pistons, head, etc. Still use the stock dakota block as i understand is no different so that the motor mounts will all be the same. I have a 91 SBEC wiring harness that i will swap in and match up all the wires to make the interior stuff work(gauges, etc). I am gonna have a intake made outta a stock 1 piece with the throttle body mount welded on the opposite side(left insteand of right). At first use stock injectors, map, ECU to get it all running right than swap in the go fast parts. I got that all figured out(i think?!?!) so i really have 3 questions? Can i use a stock exhaust manifold or do i need a custom header as well(maybe use the TU one)??? Because of spinning issues would it be better to use the LESS torqueee 2.2? And 3 do you see any holes in my plan that i may have missed? Input is appreciated! One Last question, does anyone have pics of this swap or experience?

Vigo
09-18-2009, 10:54 AM
I say a big no to the 2.2 idea. Ive driven the 2.5 tbi/5spd truck like you're talking about and considering that the turbo motor makes LESS power without boost than the tbi, there's no way you should downgrade further to the 2.2.

In a rwd traction is a much simpler thing. You can get different kinds of limited slips, encourage weight transfer, fit WIDE tires, get traction bars, taller ring and pinion gears, etc.

I personally highly doubt you'll be able to use the stock exhaust manifold in the stock way. I have not looked at this personally but it may be possible to cut a car tbi exhaust manifold as far up as possible and weld on a flange at the right angle to use a stock-style turbo (effectively upside down from stock), but you'll have to clock the housings and center section completely different and cut up the stock swingvalve housing to add a pipe coming more or less straight out. Lots of cutting and welding there.

OR you could use a stock turbo manifold and just make a flange-to-pipe adapter thing to come off it and move the turbo out to where you want, but if you dont have the turbo directly on a stock manifold for convenience it starts to look more and more like a piece of junk. hehe

One thing you should probably consider is doing something like what the jeep motors often do.. Stock exhaust manifold, crossover pipe under the bellhousing and up the other side to a turbo mounted on the other side of the motor.

No matter what you'll have to incorporate an oil drain into the pan somewhere, depending on where you put the turbo. That's not a hard thing to do. I've made two of them out of old egr pipes.

Let us know when you find the truck to start with!

"Top Fuel" Bender
09-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I believe the turbo is too close to the firewall to run and air cleaner if I remember correctly

go for it :eyebrows:

mcsvt
09-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Mike Radowski(sp?) built a 2.2 turbo Dakota with SDS electronics. I almost bought it but was light on cash at the time. He hit 300hp on the dyno. There are pictures floating around somewhere, I'll have to see if I still have them.

Stock exhaust won't work as the others said, it would have to be custom. You would want to have the inlet for the intake at the opposite end also.

southkurtk
09-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the responses. So the manifold is gonna be a little harder than i thought i got a friend that makes headers locally here in orlando where i live and i will probably get him to make me a custom manifold than.. I really wanna see those pictures? i been looking for them everywhere. I found one picture on google but the person who did the swap it looks like they used the stock manifold and ran a pipe around the head. I am on the hunt right now for a dakota locally. I have a feeling its gonna be a month or two before i find the perfect one though.

mcsvt
09-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Sorry can't find the pictures of Mike's truck, unless they are on my home machine... If you search for Mike R on Turbododge you'll find a bunch of posts by him regarding the truck. Seems he used to have a page dedicated to it but it's been taken down.

southkurtk
09-19-2009, 06:37 AM
I found this pic on google? looks like stock manifold http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo44/jacindasbrando/untitled.jpg

moparman76_69
09-19-2009, 06:47 AM
I've got an 87 originally a 2.2/5speed truck and a few turbo conversion parts I'm willing to sell.

southkurtk
09-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Pm sent..

southkurtk
09-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Man these trucks are really hard to find.. I live in orlando, fl area.. and there are like no 93-95 4cyl dakotas for sale..... :(

bfarroo
09-21-2009, 06:24 PM
You can use the stock manifold if you really want to, enough to get it running and work the bugs out. Anything larger than a Mitsu will be tight. I installed a 90 on the turbo inlet and it just fits. I'd make a log manifold to get the turbo in a more convenient location. Also the stock manifold turns the turbo in the wrong direction having the compressor on the firewall side and the turbine toward the front. I made a custom swingvalve to fit mine.

http://www.extremepsi.org/gallery/albums/album11/DSC00128.jpg

Vigo
09-21-2009, 08:15 PM
bfarroo is there any way you can get us a pic showing the clearance around the turbo? :D

jory
09-22-2009, 12:15 AM
it looks just like i dreamt it would. I'll eventually find a use for this turbo van harness :thumb:

86Shelby
09-22-2009, 01:01 AM
After seeing all that stuff it makes me rethink attempting that project.

Vigo
09-22-2009, 04:40 PM
After seeing all that stuff it makes me rethink attempting that project.
:confused2:

All i see is some extra water lines and unloomed harness. It doesn't look too terribly complicated, if you can use a stock exhaust manifold and turbo setup..

I did a quick craigslist search of trucks in south and central texas for ya and i was surprised that out of probly a dozen trucks in that year range NONE of em was a 4cyl! :yuck:

Captain Chaos
09-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Man these trucks are really hard to find.. I live in orlando, fl area.. and there are like no 93-95 4cyl dakotas for sale..... :(

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I'm in Jacksonville and I want a std cab 91-96 with any or no engine for my V-8 swap and I haven't had any luck. If you google craigslist a search box will come up and you can search all over for a specific vehicle, not necessarily engine though.

southkurtk
09-27-2009, 06:31 AM
bffaro do you got any more pics? post or email. southkurtk@cfl.rr.com

moparman76_69
09-27-2009, 08:15 AM
I personally highly doubt you'll be able to use the stock exhaust manifold in the stock way. I have not looked at this personally but it may be possible to cut a car tbi exhaust manifold as far up as possible and weld on a flange at the right angle to use a stock-style turbo (effectively upside down from stock), but you'll have to clock the housings and center section completely different and cut up the stock swingvalve housing to add a pipe coming more or less straight out. Lots of cutting and welding there.

Thats pretty much what I figured out except use a standard t3 exhaust housing and get a swingvalve flange with a v-band and use an external gate.

bfarroo
09-27-2009, 04:44 PM
bffaro do you got any more pics? post or email. southkurtk@cfl.rr.com

Here's the picks I have currently

http://www.extremepsi.org/gallery/album11

I've been super busy at work and have been traveling a lot. I'll try and get some picks of the turbo but I'l out of town all this week until friday. It's really close so if you have the ability to make a new manifold I'd definitely do it. I'd probably try and clock the turbo and get the compressor toward the front, it would make packaging way better. I need to take some more underhood picks since I cleaned up the wiring and plumbing.

southkurtk
09-28-2009, 06:52 AM
wow that is exactly what i want. Great Truck. Inspiration.. now to find the damn starter truck..

bfarroo
09-28-2009, 07:56 PM
They're hard to find, especially the 94 or 95. The only ones I ever see are at lots and they want 2500-3500 because it has a 4cyl and gets good gas mileage.Come on buddy! And they always have 160,000 miles on them.

southkurtk
10-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I still have not found one within 500 miles of my house with a 4cyl 5 speed in 94-95. I will be patient and start gathering parts for the engine build. I got a good set of T2 rods laying around. Im gonna get some forged pistons offcourse since i plan on making 300hp and want it to last. Chime on on any thoughts wisesco, JE, or Vonlia. I personally have tried JE and Wisesco but not the latter. Had no problems with eithier. Would prolly get the JE outta those 2. Any thoughts why one is better or they all the same? Advice?

Vigo
10-02-2009, 08:38 AM
i keep looking for em on craigslist for in my area and i havent seen a single one yet. 3.9s by the dozen. which is funny, even i own a 96 3.9 and just took apart another 96 3.9 for parts..

this bodystyle of truck i think is so well-loved by owners that for a long long time you couldnt find very many for sale, but i think now that they're this old they've finally hit the market cuz i find lots of em now. just not 2.5s

Dodge Aries K
10-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I have a 5 speed V6 Dakota I bought for $400 and while it's beat to hell and rusty it's a damn good truck.

southkurtk
10-06-2009, 05:41 AM
If anyone find one of these anywhere near fl, ga, al, southeast area please lmk.

Xtrempickup
10-08-2009, 07:48 PM
i saw one in the junkyard in PA and it was still running and driving, got a small hit in the front

southkurtk
10-09-2009, 06:37 AM
damn exactly what i need. I found one about 200 miles from my house but the dude wants 1500 its crashed on the front side and no AC. I just purchased an Intake today for this project. I figure to start with imma use a stock exhaust manifold with a good mitsu i got sitting in my garage. Than i can swap that out later when i get it running and on the road. As i dont see it would be vary hard now that ill be able to get to the turbo easy. :) so now i got pretty much everything i need to do this except the actual truck. Ill post pics of the intake i purchased from a member here once I get it. Unless he doesnt mind me posting his pics.

moparman76_69
10-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Go for it I don't mind. I'd make a weld-el exhaust header to shift the turbo over and use a garrett with a standard t-3 housing so you can flip it upside down from stock and point the inlet towards the front.

southkurtk
10-09-2009, 08:31 PM
well here it is than....

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/southkurtk/100_2147.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/southkurtk/100_2149.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/southkurtk/100_2151.jpg

Vigo
10-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Go for it I don't mind. I'd make a weld-el exhaust header to shift the turbo over and use a garrett with a standard t-3 housing so you can flip it upside down from stock and point the inlet towards the front.

i cant tell from the pics, is it feasible to use a car tbi header as a start to accomplish this?

moparman76_69
10-16-2009, 06:11 PM
That was my plan I actually have the TBI mani and a t3 flange, the problem would be possible clearance issues with the frame on the pass. side of the truck and the upper a-arm.

bfarroo
10-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Honestly I plan on buying a flange from FWD, some weld els and make one up. I think the TBI header would put the turbo to far away from the motor and would end up in the front suspension. There isn't as much room as you would think. Plus trying to weld to the cast manifold is a pain.

bfarroo
10-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Finally got a chance to take a some pics of the turbo. Here's the one that turned out the best. I'm laying on the ground on the passengers side looking up at the turbo next to the passengers firewall.
http://www.extremepsi.org/gallery/albums/album11/DSC01725.jpg

Having the turbo turned 180 degrees would make packaging a whole lot easier as I had to run the air intake from the back to the front and the exhaust from the front to the back.

Also the outlet is really tight and a pain to get the plumbing through.

http://www.extremepsi.org/gallery/albums/album11/DSC01721.jpg

91blueshelbydaytona
11-13-2009, 01:26 AM
do you guys know if the 2.5 motor out of the dakota will bolt up to conquest and the stock 5 spd conquest tranny any info would be great

bfarroo
11-14-2009, 01:21 AM
It won't bolt the the Conquest as the conquest uses a Mitsubishi motor. 2.6 I believe. You'd need to get a AX15 out of a Dakota 4cyl or a R154 out of a 87 or so supra or possibly one of the SUV's also.

Vigo
11-14-2009, 01:56 AM
People have put the 2.2 and 2.5 into a conquest before but you really wont get much for all your work.. the 2.2/2.5 and the stock starion 2.6 are pretty comparable in power potential and toughness.