PDA

View Full Version : Best Tranny Fluid?

show-off
05-11-2006, 10:50 PM
What is the best fluid to put in my Cliff R 520/555 hybrid?

boost geek
05-11-2006, 11:45 PM
G.M. Synchromesh is what I use. Works awesome!

CSXT802
05-12-2006, 09:42 AM
What is the best fluid to put in my Cliff R 520/555 hybrid?
I use AMSOIL 20w-50 with no problems.

supercrackerbox
05-12-2006, 09:50 AM
I was very happy with the Redline MTX fluid in my '88, the car shifted beautifully.

turbovanmanČ
05-12-2006, 12:29 PM
I would say any Synthetic manual gearbox lube, and of course, GM Synchromesh is the shizznit also.

supercrackerbox
05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Wonder if any of those would lessen a grinding problem . . . ?

turbovanmanČ
05-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Wonder if any of those would lessen a grinding problem . . . ?

If its grinding due to the wrong or too thick fluid, yes, it would help. I bought a Geo Metro years ago, trans shifted very sluggish and would grind going into every gear. Checked fluid, someone had put gear oil in it, should have 10w30, so I drained it, added GM Synchromesh and it was fine, drove it for 3 years and sold it, its still good.

BadAssPerformance
05-12-2006, 01:46 PM
I was very happy with the Redline MTX fluid in my '88, the car shifted beautifully.

I use Redline MTL :thumb:

supercrackerbox
05-12-2006, 10:50 PM
I use Redline MTL :thumb:

Lol, that's probably what I meant!

I'm running non-synthetic 5w-30 in the 568 in my '86. It's probably just the syncros, but it's kinda weird. Sometimes it won't grind at all, sometimes it does it constantly, sometimes only on the upshift, sometimes only on the downshift. The only consistency is that it actually slips into gear easier when it does grind as opposed to not grinding. Third and occasionally fourth gears btw.

turbovanmanČ
05-13-2006, 03:09 AM

I'm running non-synthetic 5w-30 in the 568 in my '86. It's probably just the syncros, but it's kinda weird. Sometimes it won't grind at all, sometimes it does it constantly, sometimes only on the upshift, sometimes only on the downshift. The only consistency is that it actually slips into gear easier when it does grind as opposed to not grinding. Third and occasionally fourth gears btw.

What have you got to lose, try some, :thumb:

supercrackerbox
05-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Oh, about $10 a quart, lol!

BadAssPerformance
05-13-2006, 07:24 AM

Does it still grind if you shift slower or pause between gears to let the gears catch up? Worn shift fork pads (which help drag the geartrain to slow it down) can cause this. If it grinds every time into a gear, the test I use is to shake teh shifter side to side in neutral before shifting into hat gear. If it goes away, you might need new shift fork pads...

supercrackerbox
05-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Shift fork pads were replaced before the install. Basically, when the 525 finally went, I swapped in an extra 555 I had laying around, which turned out to be missing third gear completely, so I grabbed a 568 from the j-yard and Ray and I did a quick go-thru just to make sure everything was okay. New shift pads, new diff pins, and a few other things, but the brass all looked good. It's been in there just over two years, and started grinding a year or so ago. Pausing/slow shifting/double clutching helps, but doesn't completely eliminate the problem. It's really not a big deal anyway, I plan to do a TII swap as soon as possible with either the 520 from my CSX-T or the 555 from my '88, and I'd like to rebuild this 568 completely this time to put into the '90. Stupid reasoning- I'd like to not have the old style shifter in the new style iterior. Actually, I've got an SRT-4 shifter I'd like to use.

MiniMopar
05-14-2006, 01:26 AM
Might be a broken or missing spring in the slider assembly. The fact that both 3rd and 4th do it makes me think it might not be the sychros.

Whorse
05-14-2006, 02:57 AM
I have very similar responses with my 568. Sometimes it likes to grind, and sometimes it doesn't seem to have that pause before slipping into gear like it normally does, and that's usually when it grinds.

supercrackerbox
05-14-2006, 06:04 AM
Might be a broken or missing spring in the slider assembly. The fact that both 3rd and 4th do it makes me think it might not be the sychros.

Do you mean in the selector housing on top of the tranny? That'd be sweet if it was that easy.