PDA

View Full Version : Starter woes.

The S is Silent
12-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Well, if it's not one thing, it's another.

Today I drove the van to the junkyard to pick up some parts. I got the parts loaded up, got in, turned the key...and nothing. The relay clicked, but that was it. WTF?

I went back into the junkyard, and had them pull a starter for me. Went back out to the car, tapped on the starter solenoid with a neon shifter I had in the car, and it started. Turned it off, closed the hood, got back in, tried starting it again, and nothing. Crap. So I did the tapping again, and it started.

Is my starter dying? Should I replace it with a junkyard one, or go to the parts store and get a rebuilt one? I hear the quality is horrible on the rebuilt ones.

BadAssPerformance
12-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Sounds like your solenoid is sticking, so yep, it's dying.

Some reman ones are bad, others not too bad... its a gamble, but not too bad if it has a warranty.

The S is Silent
12-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks JT. I got one from the junkyard for $30 and it has a warranty on it, so we'll see.

The thing with warrantying crap from Autozone or Andvanced Auto, I have no problem if it's an easy part to get to, but the starter is a pita. I'd rather not have to do it 3 times to find a good one. But I guess that's the gamble I take using junkyard parts too. Such is life.

BadAssPerformance
12-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks JT. I got one from the junkyard for $30 and it has a warranty on it, so we'll see.

The thing with warrantying crap from Autozone or Andvanced Auto, I have no problem if it's an easy part to get to, but the starter is a pita. I'd rather not have to do it 3 times to find a good one. But I guess that's the gamble I take using junkyard parts too. Such is life.

Cool.

Ever hear of Trak Auto? I put at least 10 of their starters in my old CSX till I got a good one... wonder why they are out of business now. Could swap one in less than 30 minutes then tho :thumb:

The S is Silent
12-27-2005, 03:09 PM
No wonder you are good at installing them. If I have to change the starter in my van 10 times, I'm willing to bet that I get good at it too. :)

I'm hoping this one is enough...I just need to find head shield now so I don't cook the replacement. The funny thing is, I don't remember taking any kind of heat shield out of the van when I took it apart the first time.

8valves
12-27-2005, 04:34 PM
No wonder you are good at installing them. If I have to change the starter in my van 10 times, I'm willing to bet that I get good at it too. :)

I'm hoping this one is enough...I just need to find head shield now so I don't cook the replacement. The funny thing is, I don't remember taking any kind of heat shield out of the van when I took it apart the first time.

I bought one of those "turbo wrap kits" from SlowBoyRacing, you can get them frm Jegs and Summit as well, although I'm not sure if the quantity is the same. Anywho, they supplied enough heat shield for the turbine housing as directed, for me to make a blanket type shield underneath the intake manifold between the header, and one over the starter. As well as exhaust pipe wrapping for your manifld, downpipe, IC pipes, etc. It's worth the $100 in my opinion. The intake manifold temps were drastically reduced simply by measurement of touch compared from before and after a long drive.

Aaron Miller

BadAssPerformance
12-27-2005, 05:12 PM
I think the lack of a heat sheild is what was killing them in the CSX... although my shadow doesnt have a heat sheild *knock on wood*

The S is Silent
12-28-2005, 01:36 PM
I think the lack of a heat sheild is what was killing them in the CSX... although my shadow doesnt have a heat sheild *knock on wood*

I just finished putting the starter in the van today. About 3 hours of work to take out the old one, put in the new one and put in a new hood release lever and cable. I'm willing to bet I could do it A LOT faster now that I have figured out what needs to come out, and what can stay in the car to do it.

I'm now waiting to crank it over...I need to get a heatshielc from Autozone or something. I do not what to have to do that again any time soon. Sure, it was fun, but no thanks, I'll pass.

deuce dodge
12-30-2005, 07:46 PM
i would buy a pic and pay starter before autozone .anyday..........

and take the time to put on heat sheild..........:)

as a side thought we used to be able to rap on the starter....but now days i hear the ceramic cracks.anyone know more on this??????

deuce

dwh4784
12-30-2005, 08:26 PM
You should at least try cranking it to see if it works. I guess if you can hear the relay clicking it's not in the ignition, but I would hate sitting there in suspense.