PDA

View Full Version : My car won't start and I need help!!!

ThomasG
05-11-2006, 06:46 PM
I have an 89 CSX that won't start. I was driving up a hill and as I pressed the accelerator the car started dying on me. The engine will turnover, but I'm not getting any fuel pressure. It also appears that I'm getting no spark. Haven't got the chance to check the coil itself yet, but I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before and can give me some help.

tryingbe
05-11-2006, 07:16 PM
HEP.

Replace it with a known working unit and see what happens.

87glhs232
05-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Asd??

ThomasG
05-12-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm still pretty green as far as these cars go, so I'm not really up on all the lingo. I have a friend that knows a decent amount since he's been working so much on his glh. It's possible that it could be the smec, but I don't have any way to test it; that I know of. I replaced the coil and I now have spark, but I'm still not getting any fuel pressure. Could it be a clogged fuel line possibly? I can here the fuel pump prime when I turn the key to accessory and when I'm trying to crank the car, but still nothing.

ThomasG
05-12-2006, 10:03 AM
How do you know which relay is the asd? I have a haynes manual that shows 5 relays; anti-lock brakes, starter, fan, a/c clutch and asd. My car has 4 relays in that location.
Would the hep be that hall effect pick-up assembly?

tryingbe
05-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Yes, to hep question.

ThomasG
05-12-2006, 11:11 AM
asd is working. assuming hep is working also since i have spark.

Clay
05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
The first question should always be: Have you checked the codes?

ThomasG
05-12-2006, 11:14 AM
I also have been checking the codes. Got one on the map sensor vacuum and also the car is running rich(these are what i've been getting). Now it just shows that I disconnected the battery.

t3rse
05-13-2006, 04:13 PM
get some FUEL PRESSURE hose, 5/8 i think...or whatever size it is that goes from the fuel pump to the filter. go to ace hardware or white jones or whatever and get a pressure guage that reads 0-100 (should be about 6$ or so) and get a pipe T that your fuel line will slide over. clamp the whole thing together with the guage at the 'bottom of the T' and the other ends between the pump and filter. if you have pressure here but not at the rail, your filter is clogged, or lines are clogged.

if you have no pressure, run a wire from the + battery to the + fuel pump. if it runs now, your pump is fine, and if you have pressure on the fuel rail as well, leave the line connected and see if the car starts:

if it does, you have a blown fuse somewhere.

if the car doesn't start and you have pressure, it's a sensor/computer issue *most likely*.

if you have no pressure and the pump is making noise, the pickup to the pump is clogged.

if nothing, your pump is fried.

ThomasG
05-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks Berry

tryingbe
05-16-2006, 06:01 PM
If you have lower pressure, the rubber hose connect to the fuel pump to hanger metal tube might have rodded away. Mine did. It was only giving me 20 psi at the rail.

ThomasG
05-20-2006, 06:09 PM
It ended up being the pump. Thanks for all the suggestions.