PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used bolts to hold in exhaust manifold?

Clay
05-11-2006, 03:03 PM
After fighting the studs on my exhaust manifold for multiple reasons, has anyone ever switched over and just used bolts to hold the manifold on? Ive got a set of the right socket head (allen) bolts in my hand right now.

clay

Turbodave
05-12-2006, 11:18 AM
They should work, just remember that some of those bolt holes go through to coolant passages. I usually put a little schmutz on those bolts before I install them to make sure they seal.

Clay
05-12-2006, 11:21 AM
ahhh, just like a small block chrysler. ;) Im going to guess the ones that go through to a coolant passage are the ones that came out. I had one stud that broke of in the head. The machinst here at work that fixed it said it was stuck because someone buried the stud all the way to the bottom of the hole. So Im betting the ones that are still in the head are in the same condition.

clay

WVRampage
05-15-2006, 12:34 PM
I dont see what the problem would be,other than the studs help with holding the gasket in place but if you were leaving a few studs that wouldnt be a ploblem,so as long as the treads are right and they screw in easy bolts should work.Some studs are a tight fit so that they dont back out so it may be a strange tread in the head thats all to look out for.

R/T
05-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Helpful hint:

The exhaust studs are a standard metric thread ( 8MM x 1.25MM I think ) but they have the *useless* thin 10mm nuts on them, that strip easy.

Your local hardware store should have 12mm hex nuts with the 8 x 1.25 threads, MUCH nicer to work with, don't strip the hex off when they get old...
:thumb:

Clay
05-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Helpful hint:

The exhaust studs are a standard metric thread ( 8MM x 1.25MM I think ) but they have the *useless* thin 10mm nuts on them, that strip easy.

Your local hardware store should have 12mm hex nuts with the 8 x 1.25 threads, MUCH nicer to work with, don't strip the hex off when they get old...
:thumb:

Yup, M8x1.25 is the thread. Just a standard metric size.

thanks everyone.