PDA

View Full Version : New Suspension for an L Body

skitzo_inc
09-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm used to the smoother ride of the Neon, and this rides VERY rough. Kaleb said I should get new shocks and struts, but I'm unsure of what exactly I need, and if my father and I can do it ourselves, or take it to a shop?

Thanks in advance!

shelbydave
09-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Replacing the shocks and struts is pretty straightforward, you'll just need to get an alignment afterwards.
I've been out of my L-Body for about 4 years now, and the ride is very "flintstone mobile" like compared to my other cars.

skitzo_inc
09-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Do regular parts stores carry them?

shelbydave
09-14-2009, 04:14 PM
They'd carry them, but they'll be the not so good brands. I'd also change the strut mounts at the same time. I changed out my struts one time, only to find out that the mounts were also worn. I hate doing the same thing twice...

skitzo_inc
09-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Have any idea about how much that will cost? I want to do this soon, but I won't have much more than 100 bucks to spend at this time. If it's more, I'll wait til I get them all at the same time.

minigts
09-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Replacing the shocks and struts is pretty straightforward, you'll just need to get an alignment afterwards.
I've been out of my L-Body for about 4 years now, and the ride is very "flintstone mobile" like compared to my other cars.

Dave I'll be sure to take you for a ride in mine sometime. :)

But the usual stuff to update/upgrade are the struts and shocks, sometimes the strut tower mounts and control arm bushings. I think Johny sells the bushings and most parts stores will sell the struts and shocks. Personally coil overs would be preferred but that can get costly. The cheaper route is to just go with the factory stuff. When you start getting some money to build the suspension up, rbryant is selling some very cool direct fit camber plates that work with the factory setup and I'm pretty sure coil overs. Oh and you can include sway bar bushings and possibly upgrading to the sway bar to a larger size, like, 1.25" I think is the upgrade size.

minigts
09-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Have any idea about how much that will cost? I want to do this soon, but I won't have much more than 100 bucks to spend at this time. If it's more, I'll wait til I get them all at the same time.

The lower control arm bushings run under $40 I believe. Just be prepared to use a torch to get the old ones out of the pieces. dropping the control arms is the easy part, removing the old bushings is a PAIN. :)

skitzo_inc
09-14-2009, 04:34 PM
This is totally new to me, I don't know where to start. I'm sure my dad will kind of know, what all do I HAVE to replace for the ride to be smoother?

A list of all the parts I need would be the best. :)

minigts
09-14-2009, 05:09 PM
http://polybushings.com/pages/moparfwdaarm.html

That's what you need for the front.

http://polybushings.com/pages/moparfwdbarbush.html

For the sway bar, you'll probably get mixed opinions on this. I have the standard design 1 1/4" bar that fits where my factory one used to go. There is a new style that requires using additional hardware. I haven't tried both, but I know with the older style one I have, it works just fine. That starts getting expensive though as the bar alone can be pricey. If you get the above bushings you should be ok until you can start doing some upgrades to the struts and springs.

skitzo_inc
09-14-2009, 06:26 PM
So just getting the bushings will improve the ride of the car? I called the only guy I trust with my car in NE, and he said for struts/shocks/alignment it would be 400-500 dollars. :(

minigts
09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
That is all you need for the replacement bushings. The cost for the rest of the suspension sounds about right, although I have a coil over setup and it was over double that just for the hardware.

skitzo_inc
09-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Sorry for being so new to this...but...if I replace the bushings, the car will ride better? Or do I need to do the bushings at the same time as the shocks and struts?

minigts
09-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Don't apologize, we still won't go easy on you. :) Just kidding. Seriously, any improvement to the suspension system will help. It's not necessary to replace everything at once, but you would see a drastic improvement if you did. In all honestly, you'll see handling improvements from the bushing and ride smoothness from the shocks and struts. That is my take on it.

skitzo_inc
09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
wellll...crap. I don't have an extra 400-500 to spend right now. :( I guess it will have to wait.
I was talking to my father and he said that to do the struts we would need a spring compressor, which we don't have. I'm more wanting a ride smoothness than handling improvements right now.
Is it possible to do shocks/struts at home? Or do you need special tools to get that taken care of on these cars?

shelbydave
09-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Don't apologize, we still won't go easy on you. :) Just kidding. Seriously, any improvement to the suspension system will help. It's not necessary to replace everything at once, but you would see a drastic improvement if you did. In all honestly, you'll see handling improvements from the bushing and ride smoothness from the shocks and struts. That is my take on it.

That's what I'd say too. Shocks and struts for ride quality, bushings for handling improvement.

They don't have to be done all at once, and you can tell once the struts are off if you need the bushings. if your control arms flop like a perch out of water, then replace the bushings. If they appear "solid", then you can leave them for later when you want to get into the performance aspect.

jamesmonty
09-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Rock auto had l body struts on clearance for $15 each. Don't know if they still do but its a good place to start. And some auto parts stores will rent spring compressors.

skitzo_inc
09-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Okay. I looked at Rock Auto and don't think that they are sale anymore. :( But I'll check around later tonight. I have no idea what to look for, and my dad does.

ScottD
09-28-2009, 03:48 PM
One of the best things you can do to your car is new poly control arm bushings and sway bar bushings. I would put new ball joints in while you're at it.

If you do new struts I would also do new strut mounts as well.

GLHNSLHT2
09-28-2009, 05:03 PM
It's an Lbody, it's supposed to ride a bit rough. Least a GLH or GLHS is :) If it's a TBI then anything will do and if the ride is rough you've probably got wasted shocks and bushings.

Knifed
09-28-2009, 06:57 PM
you can "rent" a spring compressor from autozone, or buy one from harbor freight for cheap if you plan on keeping it for a while.

GLHNSLHT2
09-29-2009, 12:47 AM
I find the harbor freight one is safer to use. The regular rented ones always slip on me. And for like $20 or less well worth it to have a set on hand.

Vigo
09-29-2009, 11:56 AM
i bought the harbor freight ones for $13. Definitely worth it.

Its something you can do yourself, but it is semi dangerous to use coil compressors and if you dont have an impact and possibly vice grips you will have a fun time trying to get the old nuts off the strut shafts.

I do it all the time but it sucked the first time or three.

ScottD
09-29-2009, 12:56 PM
I have coil spring compressors that have two ears at the top and the bottom. I had a set that had two ears at the top, one at the bottom and those slipped on me. They shot off, I had to get 5 stitches in my hand, luckily I was not more seriously hurt. I've used the kind w/ two ears top and bottom many times and never had a problem.

shelbydave
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
you can "rent" a spring compressor from autozone, or buy one from harbor freight for cheap if you plan on keeping it for a while.

Always buy it if you can afford it! I like to wrench on my cars, but only when I have to... other than that, I like to drive them!! :)
I've found that if I OWN the tool to perform a particular function, then I NEVER have to use that stupid thing again! The only stuff that breaks on my car is the stuff I don't have tools to fix!! :mad:

JDAWG
09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
get buddy buddy with a shop, i use one that mounts on the wall and has a big wheel on the top and you turn it and it squishes it down

Vigo
09-29-2009, 05:05 PM
get buddy buddy with a shop, i use one that mounts on the wall and has a big wheel on the top and you turn it and it squishes it down

I have honestly found some types of those to be just as dangerous. :(

86Shelby
09-29-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't like to service struts/springs after having one shoot out of the compressor and rip the crotch out of my pants and boxers. Luckily the boys made it through unscathed.

jl93sundance
10-01-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't like to service struts/springs after having one shoot out of the compressor and rip the crotch out of my pants and boxers. Luckily the boys made it through unscathed.

:wow1:

135sohc
10-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Next time around I'm going with the pre-loaded quick struts and not messing with that bs again.

86Shelby
10-01-2009, 10:09 PM
That's why I will be happy to spend money for someone else to mess with swapping springs on my cars.

WickedShelby88
10-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Sometimes you can buy a strut assembly and it comes with everything. You just bolt the mount to the body and the bottom to the knuckle. Depending on what labor would cost locally that is the safest and best way to get your ride back. I also would not go through this effort AT ALL without buying new springs. They are cheap enough you can't go wrong. My 85 SC I got back in 96' rode pretty good actually. Maybe it was Indiana roads are better than most:p Han---- county anyway.
But the point is if your gonna have it apart you might as well replace those 20+ year old nearing 200k mile springs. Just my $ .02....

badandy
10-05-2009, 10:44 AM
I will offer up this bit of advice:

Simply due to the improvements made to suspension design (independent suspension) and geometry...and L body will never get close to the ride of a Neon or any "newer" type cars.

If you want your car to ride less harsh than i would suggest staying away from polyurethane bushings and use rubber only. Polyurethane will definately make the ride harsh on a stub strut type front suspension such as what is found on an L body...and in combination with the relatively light weight of an L body it will beat you to death...especially with 50 series tires which are found on Shelby Chargers and GLH Omni's.

Soft bushings, soft springs and high profile tires will help ride quality...and hinder performance.

minigts
10-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I will offer up this bit of advice:

Simply due to the improvements made to suspension design (independent suspension) and geometry...and L body will never get close to the ride of a Neon or any "newer" type cars.

I'll take you for a ride at Turbopalooza. ;)

minigts
10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Next time around I'm going with the pre-loaded quick struts and not messing with that bs again.

That's why I will be happy to spend money for someone else to mess with swapping springs on my cars.

That's why I have coil overs. :thumb:

badandy
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
I'll take you for a ride at Turbopalooza. ;)
Maybe I'll take you for a ride instead :nod:

All kidding aside...our cars will never outhandle a neon while still maintaining very comfortable ride characteristics over the choppy stuff.

minigts
10-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Maybe I'll take you for a ride instead :nod:

All kidding aside...our cars will never outhandle a neon while still maintaining very comfortable ride characteristics over the choppy stuff.

THAT I agree with. Handling and comfort cannot be used in the same sentence for an L body. And I'll take that ride! See you in a few weeks.

Force Fed Mopar
10-05-2009, 12:38 PM
No lightweight car w/ any sort of good-handling suspension is going to ride smoothly/softly over bumps. If you want a softer ride, use base-model springs (Shelby springs are stiffer) and cheap comfort shocks.

I'm gonna go w/ DSM AGX struts and stock DSM springs on mine, I think.

JDAWG
10-05-2009, 01:11 PM

yea, really for about $130 a side its a deal, by the time you add up new struts, the mount/bearing and all that its about the same price. Then it becomes a half hour job, yanking a strut assembly and putting a new one in.