PDA

View Full Version : LSR - Land Speed Rampage

gkabbt
09-12-2009, 08:14 AM
All,

Just wanted to introduce myself and the Rampage project I am working on.

Name is Gregg Adams from North Carolina.

I have been going to the Maxton Monster Mile (www.ecta-lsr.com (http://www.ecta-lsr.com)) for Land Speed Racing as a spectator for about 4 - 5 years and finally got the bug to build something. Earlier this year, I picked up a 1983 Rampage and I am now setting it up as a true Land Speed Racer in the BMMP (Blown Modified Mini Production) truck class.

I have just gotten the truck back from my chassis guy who did the roll cage and some aluminum work. Now the fun work really begins. I will be swapping in a SRT4 (already have) and a Neon 3 speed auto (need to get). SRT4 front strut coil over assemblies (already have) are in the process of being installed. LeBaron GTC vented rear brake assemblies (already have) are to be installed. An axle flip will help to lower the rear. There are a lot of details I am leaving out, but I will add them here in the future.

The link to my chassis guys website and the pictures he took does not work anymore,
so here is the link to my Protobucket.

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/GKABBT/Gregg Adams Land Speed Rampage/

I have just begun a build diary on landracing.com and it is a little more comprehensive than this one and that is the one I will be updating. http://www.landracing.com/forum/inde...c,10671.0.html (http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10671.0.html)

Let me know what you think.

Gregg

raccoon
09-12-2009, 09:29 AM
i think its great.

GLHNSLHT2
09-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Why would you put big brakes on it? The bigger brakes are harder to accelerate which means slower speeds. And an Auto? Wouldn't a 5spd be more efficient? Good luck, sounds like a fun project.

BadAssPerformance
09-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Cool project! :clap:

I agree on the 5-speed for efficiency and long gearing options.

Going fast, big brakes might be needed pending shutdown area?

"Top Fuel" Bender
09-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I think you did it all wrong :p
You should give it me and start over

Very Impressive chassis work :hail:

2.216VTurbo
09-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Wow:rockon: Serious cage work Gregg and I :love:the bed cover. Little thumb lift in the center is a great touch! To think I was considering a simple four point hood for my Rampage:o Then again I'll see 150 not 250:thumb: What's the current speed record in that class and how bad are you gonna shatter it:eyebrows:?

Xtrempickup
09-12-2009, 12:33 PM
my rampage has an axle flip in the rear the tires are tucked nicely, 205/50/15s on CSS lancer wheels. my front suspension is Neon Coilovers and that sits the front maybe 1/2in lower than the rear. my car i barely can get a jack under the front half of the trucklet

WVRampage
09-12-2009, 05:35 PM
how fast are you planing to go?

turbokid
09-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Wow thats awesome!
Keep up the good work. I would also wonder why you are going with a neon 3 speed your gonna need to build to hold power vs. a 5 speed?
Q

BLUEBALL
09-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Looks like its gonna be an awesome ride for sure. Lot of inquiring minds wonderin bout the auto.:) Great choice on the motor. What turbo you goin with?

gkabbt
09-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Guys,

Thanks for all the positive comments about my project.
Tim, my chassis guy, really did an awesome job on the cage and aluminum work.

Now let me explain about the method of my madness.

Big Brakes:
Maxton, NC, is a standing 1 mile concrete track with .9 mile shutdown so big brakes needed along with parachute.
Goliad, TX is a standing 1 mile asphalt track with .5 mile shutdown. There is additional runoff on hard dirt. Again big brakes needed along with parachute.
Loring, ME is a standing 1.5 mile concrete track with 1 mile shutdown so big brakes needed along with parachute.
El Mirage, CA is a standing 1.3 mile dry lakebed track with 1 mile shutdown so big brakes needed along with parachute.
Bonneville, UT is a flying 3 mile salt flat track with 2 mile shutdown. Brakes are not really an issue here.

Automatic instead of 5-speed:
In my research for the engine trans combo, what really struck me about the Auto are the Transfer Gears and their affect on overall FD ratio. Maybe my thinking is really crazy but I am seeing this as a mini quick change.
Here is what I have found about possible final drive ratios:
2.60 --- .91 transfer and 2.86 ring
2.97 ---1.04 transfer and 2.86 ring
3.02 ---1.06 transfer and 2.86 ring
3.50 ---1.22 transfer and 2.86 ring

2.78 --- .91 transfer and 3.05 ring
3.17 ---1.04 transfer and 3.05 ring
3.22 ---1.06 transfer and 3.05 ring
3.72 ---1.22 transfer and 3.05 ring
With one transmission, I can gear for the short tracks as well as gear for Bonneville and this is why I am leaning towards the automatic. Crazy?

LSR is totally different than Drag Racing for classes. It is based only on engine size. My truck will be running in the F class, which is for engines between-2.0L - 3.0L, and naturally the SRT4 is a 2.4L. The current record for Maxton is 137 mph and for Bonneville are 138. I "think" my setup will go a "little" faster than that. I know the engine will go 200+ mph. Joegen Muller with Race Deck Floor Tiles did it a few years ago at Bonneville with both a Highboy Roadster and a SRT4. Both of these cars had engines prepped by DCR. DCR is located about 3 hours from me so I am going to talk with him about some engine work.

Alan, the thumb lift on the bed cover is really a nice touch but it will pinch the $h!t out of a finger.....Ask me how I know (LOL).

Sorry to ramble on but I am really stoked about this project.

Gregg

Pat
09-13-2009, 08:05 AM
I like the auto for quick gear changes, but I'd be concerned about heat build up. That sucker is going to get hot with your foot to the floor for 2 miles straight.

Sweet project! For the last two years, I've been trying to get to Maxton for the Hot Rod Top Speed Shootout, but I haven't been able to. Your Rampage may just get me down there finally to see you run.

Good luck!!!

gkabbt
09-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Pat,

I agree about the heat buildup being an issue. There will be a large trans cooler in the lower grille opening.

I was just getting ready to do another post about Maxton. They will be running next weekend Sept. 19-20 and this one is a bike shootout. There will be lots of bike and a few cars. The bike jokeys are absolutely AWESOME. No way I would do 200 - 260 mph in one mile on 2 wheels. Come down if you get a chance. It really is cool and the people are fantastic. Also, the final meet of the year will be Oct. 24-25.

Speaking of the Hot Rod shootout, I hope to have my truck there next April. Wish me luck.

Gregg

GLHNSLHT2
09-13-2009, 10:14 AM
so your gonna have the big 11" front brakes as well? I've seen an Omni with 11" rears and the 10" fronts hit the brakes and the tail pass the front end right into a tree.

Reeves
09-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Wow! Awesome project! That chassis work is just killer! Can't wait!

2.216VTurbo
09-13-2009, 01:17 PM
so your gonna have the big 11" front brakes as well? I've seen an Omni with 11" rears and the 10" fronts hit the brakes and the tail pass the front end right into a tree.

Christ Jay! remember when you used to contribute useful information to threads?? Gregg has the vision, funding, and drive to make this project happen. So far you have only tried to tell why his plans are a bad idea:blah:

How about you GTFO of this thread until you are supportive? Believe me dude, we know, we *all* know you could do it better if you wanted to:rolleyes:

Pat
09-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Pat,

I agree about the heat buildup being an issue. There will be a large trans cooler in the lower grille opening.

I was just getting ready to do another post about Maxton. They will be running next weekend Sept. 19-20 and this one is a bike shootout. There will be lots of bike and a few cars. The bike jokeys are absolutely AWESOME. No way I would do 200 - 260 mph in one mile on 2 wheels. Come down if you get a chance. It really is cool and the people are fantastic. Also, the final meet of the year will be Oct. 24-25.

Speaking of the Hot Rod shootout, I hope to have my truck there next April. Wish me luck.

Gregg

Hopefully I'll make it next year...it looks like a great time. Running at Maxton is something I've wanted to do for a while. I don't think it will happen anytime soon, but one of these days...

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted.

Pat

Rampage16V
09-13-2009, 09:51 PM
I am just loving this!!!!

Vigo
09-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Personally, i think the difference you can make with transfer gears on an auto is about the same as the difference between 4th and 5th in a manual, and you dont have to 'swap' anything.

in a 3.50fd trans the difference from 4th to 5th is the difference from 3.50:1 and 2.50:1, approximately. which is about the possible range of gearing with transfer gear swaps on an auto.

The only difference is you wont get anything in between. And most people can max out 4th in fairly mild cars. Even revving to 6500 will probly get you no more than 140, which is something a completely stock srt-4 can do with ease, probably in a standing mile..

So im thinking the ability to gear down is going to go completely unused, personally.

With the auto, you'd have to run a lockup converter to avoid massive heat buildup with 1-2 solid miles of flooring it with a high power motor, and i dont know if you can get a converter clutch strong enough to hold it reliably..

So there are things for and against, but for reasons of lower heat problems and less parasitic loss i'd lean towards 5spd.

Cool project anyway!

Mario
09-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Very happy to be reading this. One of the many things I hope to do soon as well. I'm going to try and make at least one of the events. Do you have an event that you for sure plan on attending yet?

junior92
09-16-2009, 09:19 PM
thats going to be one badass rampage. good luck

jerseymike68
09-22-2009, 01:30 PM
thanks for these information

Reeves
08-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Any new news?

contraption22
08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Grrrr... just seeing this thread. Links don't work. Anybody have the pics saved?

Reeves
08-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I'll have to look on my laptop. It was INCREDIBLE work.
Wonder what happened to this?

cordes
08-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Bummer that the pics are down. I wanted to show these to my dad for his page project.

Reeves
08-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Bummer that the pics are down. I wanted to show these to my dad for his page project.

I tried to email the website as it still works, but the email portion won't let you type anything in.

Reaper1
08-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Sucks I never saw this from the start. If there is anybody that might have the pics saved I'd love to see them!

Pat
08-13-2010, 10:38 PM
I met Gregg at Maxton last April. Very nice guy to talk to. I recall him telling me the chassis was almost complete and that he was looking for an engine builder to help him out next.

IIRC, he was hoping to have the car out and running next year.

2.216VTurbo
08-14-2010, 11:33 PM
I met Gregg at Maxton last April. Very nice guy to talk to. I recall him telling me the chassis was almost complete and that he was looking for an engine builder to help him out next.

IIRC, he was hoping to have the car out and running next year.

You may be our only link to him if he doesn't post here anymore and his site is inactive. Shake some bushes Mr Pat:thumb:

Murphy
08-15-2010, 03:48 AM
http://www.squirrelpf.com/gearingcalc/index.php

Pat
08-15-2010, 10:05 AM
You may be our only link to him if he doesn't post here anymore and his site is inactive. Shake some bushes Mr Pat:thumb:

I didn't grab his number or email addy..but I've PM'd him here. I'll try.

If I don't get him, I'll be back at Maxton in April. If he's not running, I'd bet he'll be there spectating.

Turbo3Iroc
08-15-2010, 12:50 PM
His info is public.... people finder is your friend.

gkabbt
08-25-2010, 07:31 PM
James and All,

Still around so I have not fallen off the planet yet....LOL

I do not have much to report on due to health issues (pneumonia and months with my back).
I was released by Dr. and Physical Therapist at the end of July so I have alot of work ahead of me. Sometimes it really a is B@#$H getting old.

Been very hot and humid here in N.C. this year so I finally got heat and air installed in the garage 1st week in August. After that my wife and I went out to Bonneville for Speed Week for the 2nd time and again it was AWESOME. If you really are a car nut, you must make this trip.

Now for the Rampage. Pat was correct in saying I am about finished with the chassis. I am scheduled to bring it in to my chassis guy on September 13th to finish patching the floors and adding some extra tabs and tubes that were originally overlooked. I want to get the majority of the body stuff done (minus paint) before I get to the drivetrain so hopefully by the end of September I'll be ready for that. Also, I am picking up a 20' V-nose enclosed trailer this Saturday so that is one thing off the list.

As for the pictures being gone, I'll setup a photobucket account and upload them there.

Pat, thanks for the kind words and it was really nice meeting you as well back in April. I do plan on having the Rampage there in April 2011 come hell or high water.

As for getting in touch with me, you can PM me here or my email addy is gkadams@earthlink.net.

As long as health issues do not get in the way, I'll keep you guys posted with updates.

See ya,
Gregg

cordes
08-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Glad to hear that you are doing well. Thanks for keeping us updated as I know we are all looking forward to seeing your car in action.

T-Bohn
08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
glad your back and looking forward to the updates!!

gkabbt
08-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Mike, James and All,

I just created a Photobucket account and have all the pictures that my chassis guy had on his website loaded for you viewing pleasure.:amen:

The link is: http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/GKABBT/Gregg%20Adams%20Land%20Speed%20Rampage/

Comments are always welcome.:thumb:

See ya,
Gregg

2.216VTurbo
08-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Superb work Gregg:hail: Holy cow ThatsAllottaCage! I like the way the rear bed hoops attach below the bed to more cage rather than just being plate welded to the bed floor.:thumb: How far along is your drivetrain build?

gkabbt
08-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Alan,

I guess my chassis guy's thought process was mo cage, mo better (LOL). :evil:
I wasn't expecting as much as he did but the more I looked at it the safer it looked and I do like it. A good example is, as you mentioned, are the down tubes connecting to the bars under the bed which are attached to the frame. One thing I forgot when I originally took it to him was a push bar so that will be attached to the bars under the bed and be below the parachute mount. As I said in my earlier post, I am going to get this stuff done and the floors patched better so I am concentrating on getting the body stuff done before I get to the drivetrain.

I plan to be starting on the drivetrain by the end of September.

Hope this helps.

As always, comments welcome. :thumb:

See ya,
Gregg

Shadow
08-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Interesting project! With what you've mentioned you shouldn't have any problem reaching your goals. good luck! :thumb:

Reaper1
09-03-2010, 08:46 PM
That has to be the stiffest L-body or derivitive thereof in existance! HOLY CRAP! I wonder how much all that weighs? Time to start replacing body panels and parts with carbon fiber to make up for it!

Pat
09-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Reaper...come to Maxton in April and see it for yourself. I know you're not a straight line guy, but you'll definitely dig Maxton.

gkabbt
09-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Reaper,

I will agree with you on the weight thing but you need to understand and learn more about Land Speed Racing. There are no lbs / c.i. restrictions in LSR, so any car can weigh as little or as much as you want. As a matter of fact, some of the cars at Bonneville add many hunderds of pounds of ballast to make the cars have better traction on the salt. As for my Rampage, I am guessing that the final weight should be between 2500 to 3000 pounds.

Like Pat said, you need to come to Maxton and see for yourself. I see you are in Jax, so it probably be about a 5 - 6 hour drive for you. The 1st meet of the year is in April and is the best one to come to so maybe you can make it. As I keep saying, I am going to have my Rampage there in April 2011.

As always, comments welcome. :D

See ya,
Gregg

P.S.
I picked up my enclosed trailer last weekend so that is one thing off my list. I will snap some pics and add them to my Photobucket account.
Also, my 06 Tacoma was struggling hard on the way home with this trailer, so now I am looking for a new tow truck.
It seems like with me, one thing always leads to another. :amen:

moparman76_69
09-05-2010, 08:31 AM
I see a mid 90s cummins diesel in your future.

2.216VTurbo
09-05-2010, 09:52 AM
^ Oh man Gregg, I'm just realizing the Rampage RT's title of the "Worlds heaviest Rampage" may be in jepardy:o I'll hope that your LSR comes in under 27XXlbs:p

Reaper1
09-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Oh I completely dig LSR!! I don't know the rules that well, but I understand the ones I've read. I do know that you have a longer distance to get up to speed, but I would think that acceleration would still be important, especially on old runways where you don't have as much room to get up to speed as out at the salt flats and such.

I WISH I could make it! I've gotta finish my last year on my degree and then find a job. After that, well, I hope I can start joining these types of events on a regular basis! :)

gkabbt
12-21-2011, 06:40 AM
All,

Time to bring this one back from the dead.....finally.

Starting back to work on the Land Speed Rampage.

As some of you may remember, I was setting up my 1983 Rampage as a Land Speed Racing truck until we found out that Maxton, NC would be no more after 2011. In this post: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?56803-Maxton-NC-Land-Speed-Racing-2011-Final-Tour I had decided to stop work on my Rampage due to track uncertainty. Well now that the ECTA does have a new premanent home in Wilmington, OH, I have decided to begin again on the truck and am trying to have it ready by the middle of 2012. :nod:

I have just begun a build diary on landracing.com and it is a little more comprehensive than this one and that is the one I will be updating. http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10671.0.html

As I have said in this thread, take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Gregg

P.S. Still looking for the Direction Connection headlight covers. If you or someone you know has a set for sale, PLEASE let me know. :hail:

Pat
12-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Glad to see you're back at it Gregg!

Perhaps I'll see you in OH at some point this summer.

Pat

gkabbt
12-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Pat,

Thanks for your reply. Will you be there with the ScAries?

Gegg

RoadWarrior222
12-21-2011, 08:50 AM
I had a way figured to hit 155mph with the auto in my voyager, but forgot what the combo was... been a while since I looked at it... you might need taller tires though.

I think you'll want to rig a switch with the lockup, the 'pooter isn't gonna let it kick in while you're giving it full pedal methinks, so you'd wanna kick it in manually around 80 or 90mph.

Aero is gonna get important faster than weight methinks, so don't have too much tire sticking out of the holes. Personally with a Rampage, I'd be thinking of making a Kammback/"breadvan" shell for the back.

gkabbt
12-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Taller tires are a given.

Converter lockup microswitch will be on the steering wheel.

Tires will be inside the wheel wells.
I'll be starting out with just the bed cover.
The WGBR VW holds the G/BMMP Bonneville record at 194.520 mph.
Here is the link: http://whitegoosebar.com/

Gregg

RoadWarrior222
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Whoa, fast little fu..fella.

Well if you wanna "tuck in" the air behind the cab, (or the tailgate sides) you could try finding a bug deflector for a pickup or something else large, that you can fix round the backside of it. Just to angle the air in a bit and give a clean edge to separate from.

gkabbt
12-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Whoa, fast little fu..fella.

Well if you wanna "tuck in" the air behind the cab, (or the tailgate sides) you could try finding a bug deflector for a pickup or something else large, that you can fix round the backside of it. Just to angle the air in a bit and give a clean edge to separate from.

Agreed on the WGBR VW.....Hauls Acura (LOL).
The air deflector you are talking about is not legal in the class I am going to be running.

Gregg

RoadWarrior222
12-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Sail panels on a 'page probably help with that though, advantage over the VW there... though I can see them making two large vortices, which might start to chuck you around at speed if they suck back on the 'gate. Be good if you could get a lip on the top of the tailgate or back of the bed cover to help shed them.

johnl
12-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Great stuff Gregg. Subscribed.

Pat
12-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Pat,

Thanks for your reply. Will you be there with the ScAries?

Gegg

Not in April. I just heard that they are limiting the registrants in April to make sure the first event in OH goes smoothly. Perhaps sometime later in the season.

RoadWarrior222
12-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Might be wise that, just let in the guys who've been to a few, just in case marshaling is sketchy or there's unforeseen stuff....

... or not "but we always used to do it THIS way..." :D

gkabbt
12-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Not in April. I just heard that they are limiting the registrants in April to make sure the first event in OH goes smoothly. Perhaps sometime later in the season.

Yeah, hear wha you are saying. Even if my truck were finished, I don't think I would take it in April.....will probably be mass confusion.
I will be there spectating though.

Gregg

moparman76_69
12-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Anybody have more info on the OH location? ECTA website just says coming soon. I might venture over to spectate in April.

Reeves
12-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Wilmington, OH! Wow! That's only 1.5 hours away! I'll be there! You guys keep me informed!

gkabbt
12-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Reeves,

Now you make me envious because I was only 2 hours from Maxton, NC.
Please do come out and get involved with the ECTA.....Everyone is really super nice.

The April meet has always been the best to me because it is the Hod Rod Magazine Top Speed Challenge.

The 2012 schedule is:
April 28-29 Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed Challenge
June 2-3 (Sponsor to be announced)
July 7-8 (Sponsor to be announced)
Sept 29-30 Throttle Nation Top Speed Challendge

Here is the link for the ECTA: http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

Gregg

P.S.
Hoping to have the Rampage there in July.

gkabbt
01-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Wilmington, OH! Wow! That's only 1.5 hours away! I'll be there! You guys keep me informed!

Reeves, Just made my hotel reservations yesterday so let's try to meet up in Wilmington if you go. As I have posted before, the 1st meet is always best to me as this is the Hot Rod Magazine Top speed Challenge.

If there are any other folks close by, come on over and have fun and watch some really fast cars.

Gregg

Reeves
01-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Reeves, Just made my hotel reservations yesterday so let's try to meet up in Wilmington if you go. As I have posted before, the 1st meet is always best to me as this is the Hot Rod Magazine Top speed Challenge.

If there are any other folks close by, come on over and have fun and watch some really fast cars.

Gregg

So you'll be there April 28th and 29th then? I'll put it on my calendar.

gkabbt
01-05-2012, 01:46 PM
I'll be coming in late on the 26th and then go over to the track on the 27th to do volunteer work for whatever.
I'll be doing the spectating thing on the 28th and 29th.....watching some fast cars and bikes.
Still working on the Rampage and I hope to have it ready and at the July meet.

I'll post a reminder mid April about this for everyone.

Gregg

Pat
01-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I'll be coming in late on the 26th and then go over to the track on the 27th to do volunteer work for whatever.
I'll be doing the spectating thing on the 28th and 29th.....watching some fast cars and bikes.
Still working on the Rampage and I hope to have it ready and at the July meet.

I'll post a reminder mid April about this for everyone.

Gregg

Gregg...where are you staying?

gkabbt
01-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Pat,

Wilmington Inn and it is very close to the Airpark. $55.00 per night and they still had rooms yesterday.
Call 937-382-6000 and also mention that you are one of the ECTA racers for your discount!

You thinking of coming out?

Gregg

Pat
01-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Pat,

Wilmington Inn and it is very close to the Airpark. $55.00 per night and they still had rooms yesterday.
Call 937-382-6000 and also mention that you are one of the ECTA racers for your discount!

You thinking of coming out?

Gregg

Maybe. Not to run, just to hang out and check out the new digs.

gkabbt
01-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I'm really going just to check it out as well. I kinda think it is going to be controlled confusion.....but still should be fun.

gkabbt
01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Should have mentioned about the Wilmington Inn. 2 people 2 queen beds for $55.00 per night.
I met Bruce Harmon, who run a Gas Lakester and is from Wilmington, at the Maxton October meet and was asking about good places to stay. He suggested the Wilmington Inn and said it is a really nice Mom and Pop type place and thought I would like it.
I like the price.....LOL!

gkabbt
02-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Not really that much of an update in this project log but I wanted to let you guys know what's been going on with my truck.

Here is the link to my latest build diary update on landracing.com

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10671.90.html

Also, if anyone is looking for NOS L-body 79-83 headlight covers check out this eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400272586877?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I just bought 2 sets from him and got them yesterday. Boxes were a little worn but the contents are incredible.

Gregg

Reaper1
02-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Why wouldn't they let you fabricate the covers? It's not like fabricating them would give you any distinct advantage over the DC ones. That kind of tight @ssedness for the rules ticks me off. I'd understand it if they were readily available or if fabricated ones would have given some sort of distinct advantage, but REALLY? That's just asinine.

Reeves
02-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Why wouldn't they let you fabricate the covers? It's not like fabricating them would give you any distinct advantage over the DC ones. That kind of tight @ssedness for the rules ticks me off. I'd understand it if they were readily available or if fabricated ones would have given some sort of distinct advantage, but REALLY? That's just asinine.

On one hand, I think it's cool that you have to have factory parts like that, as I'm glad DC made them at one point........on the other hand, I kinda agree, that there is NO advantage/disadvantage to fabricating your own.

I think the cool factor in having them wins though.

gkabbt
02-23-2012, 06:57 AM
Guys,

I do agree with you 1000% about not being able to fab some headlight covers.

Having said that, the SCTA, ECTA and LTA are very strict on the mods that can be done to the outside of a car / truck for all classes and these are spelled out in the rule books. I had to get a waiver for the headlight covers and it was mandated that they would be the DC ones and no others......Maybe they thought fabbed one would give an aerodynamic advantage somehow?
I guess it boils down to.....If you want to play with the them, you play by their rules.

At any rate, I finally found the DC ones and life is good for me and the Rampage.

Gregg

James, You still thinking about going to Wilmington in April?

RoadWarrior222
02-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Maybe they're more worried about glassed over lumps of duct taped cardboard flying off all over the track.

Reeves
02-23-2012, 12:07 PM

Yes! The 28th and 29th right? I plan to come out and watch, help out, whatever.

Juggy
02-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Guys,

I do agree with you 1000% about not being able to fab some headlight covers.

Having said that, the SCTA, ECTA and LTA are very strict on the mods that can be done to the outside of a car / truck for all classes and these are spelled out in the rule books. I had to get a waiver for the headlight covers and it was mandated that they would be the DC ones and no others......Maybe they thought fabbed one would give an aerodynamic advantage somehow?
I guess it boils down to.....If you want to play with the them, you play by their rules.

At any rate, I finally found the DC ones and life is good for me and the Rampage.

Gregg

I have 2 sets of DC headlight covers...one set is tinted black, the other set is clear!! guess I lucked out finding them a couple years ago, had no idea they were so hard to find....

cant wait too see/hear about the run!! good luck and GODSPEED

edit: if u dont mind me asking what did the headlight covers cost you?

eidt: WHOA!!! nevermind...just seen the ebay add!!!! HOLY SHMOKES!!!! extremely happy with what i had paid for both sets :D
i happen to be missing the fastners tho.......

gkabbt
02-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Yes! The 28th and 29th right? I plan to come out and watch, help out, whatever.

James,
Cool, We'll meet up on the 28th. Try to be there by 08:30 AM. That's when the drivers meeting is and they always have good info at them.

Gregg

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

eidt: WHOA!!! nevermind...just seen the ebay add!!!! HOLY SHMOKES!!!! extremely happy with what i had paid for both sets :D
i happen to be missing the fastners tho.......

Juggy,
While I was waiting for my package to arrive, I went to their eBay store and was looking at other "stuff" they have for sale.
Most of their parts are NOS Mopar parts and the one I saw that really floored me was a hood ornament for a 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury for $695.00.
Yep, $695.00 for a 3" tall hood ornament........Kinda seems like what I paid for my covers seem "cheap" LOL.

Gregg

gkabbt
04-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Just posted this in the Events section:

ECTA LSR is on for this weekend:

Weather is beginning to look not so good but what the hey.....going anyway. I want to check out the roads from NC to OH as well as the new facility.
I'll be the old dude (with grey mustache) wearing a kakhi colored baseball cap, some sort of hoodie, jeans and kakhi colored croc shoes. If you see me, please stop me and say Hi.

C'Ya there,
Gregg Adams

Reeves
04-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Just posted this in the Events section:

ECTA LSR is on for this weekend:

Weather is beginning to look not so good but what the hey.....going anyway. I want to check out the roads from NC to OH as well as the new facility.
I'll be the old dude (with grey mustache) wearing a kakhi colored baseball cap, some sort of hoodie, jeans and kakhi colored croc shoes. If you see me, please stop me and say Hi.

C'Ya there,
Gregg Adams

I'm in weather permitting. I'm not much up for a cold rainy day standing out in it, as I have had sinus problems since January! I am up for the heat on in the shop, a few beers, and putting the OMNI back together! So Gregg and anyone else that might be going, my shop will be open if it gets rained out.

RoadWarrior222
04-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Well I'd betchya the wet weather is actually clearing you out and getting things moving (usually takes 2 days of it for me) 'coz the maple pollen started REAL early this year... only just died off but the birch pollen kicked in here, which gets me too.... hopefully after another week and some HEAVY rain to knock the last down it will be done.... but beer helps too, the hops are a natural antihistamine.. go figure.

johnl
04-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Pictures please.

gkabbt
04-27-2012, 06:15 AM
John,

Heading over to the Air Park in about 1 1/2 hours. Will get plenty of picks and try to get them posted tonight.

Gregg

Reeves
04-27-2012, 09:56 AM
John,

Heading over to the Air Park in about 1 1/2 hours. Will get plenty of picks and try to get them posted tonight.

Gregg

Are you taking your car to Wilmington? I thought it wasn't going to be ready?

gkabbt
04-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Are you taking your car to Wilmington? I thought it wasn't going to be ready?

James,

Truck is not ready.....still at the body shop.
I'm here doing the volunteering and spectating thing and all I can say is this place is incredible.
I'm uploading some pictures I took today and I put the photobucket link in after that is finished.

Gregg

Reeves
04-27-2012, 07:07 PM
I didn't think your car was ready, but got confused when you said you'll put up pics of it.

gkabbt
04-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Sorry, I thought JohnL was talking about pics of here in Wilmington.

Reeves
04-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Oh I see.....he might have been.....my bad.

gkabbt
04-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Here is my photobucket link of today's Wilmington, OH ECTA LSR pictures.....Enjoy.

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/a...ington 042012/ (http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/GKABBT/Wilmington%20042012/)

If some pics seem weird, they are ideas for my Rampage.

Gregg

Pat
04-28-2012, 05:55 AM
So wish i was there....business trip out of the country made it impossible. Track and cars look amazing.

Reeves
04-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Wow! Super cool pics! Can't wait!

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

So wish i was there....business trip out of the country made it impossible. Track and cars look amazing.

Racing>Work

Pat
04-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Wow! Super cool pics! Can't wait!

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

Racing>Work

Amen. Unfortunately, racing doesnt pay the bills. It helps create them!

gkabbt
04-28-2012, 07:39 PM

Pat,

I know what the business thing can do for plans. I have to deal with it for two more months and then retirement with PLENTY of time to play.....like LSR. :eyebrows:

You've been to Maxton and remember the "personality" that place had.....BIG LMAO. :nod:
You really cannot imagine what this place looks like.....The facilities are absolutely incredible (no other words to describe it).

I posted this on Landracing.com in response to a question from a forum member about what the drivers and riders thought about the track:

I cannot speak for the drivers / riders about the track but from my perspective it was really cool. With this track (runway) being only about 4 years old, it is grooved for water runoff. When standing anywhere from about 1/4 mile on, and a bike / car is making a pass, the tires just start to sing.....really cool to hear and got my attention every time. It was really more noticible with cars but the bikes would sing a little too.

I was at the timing trailer when Joe Timney came out to congratulate Bob (689 Metropolitian) on his 213 pass. Joe did ask him if he felt the grooves and Bob came back with he really did not notice it. He said the crosswinds were more noticible and they did push him around a little.

I heard there are 67 bikes and 108 cars. This make sense as this is the HRM Top Speed Shootout for Cars.
Tomorrows weather is supposed to be much better so there should be some really good racing. :hail:

Gregg

Reeves
04-28-2012, 10:44 PM
I should be there about 9am tomorrow. :thumb:

johnl
04-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks Gregg - gotta love those Studebakers; seems like they're over represented. Going to events such as that is like going to a museum; for me I can stand around gawking for hours and hours.

gkabbt
05-01-2012, 07:42 PM
John,

I hear what you what you are saying and this meet had the most Studes (5) in competition I have seen outside of Bonneville. I don't know if you have had the chance to get to Bonneville but talk about gawking. I've only been once and will be going this September and am looking forward to all the incredible machines there.

Gregg

johnl
05-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Yes Gregg, I have been to Bonneville but it was in the late 70's. Never saw so many Hilborns and so much methanol in one place before or since. Stood on top of a vehicle and spun slowly around 360* to see all of the mountains surrounding that valley, for 360*, floating in air - a heat mirage coming off the salt making their bases disappear. Got sunburned on the bottom of my chin and nose. Saw the remains of a 'vette come back to the pits on a flatbed after it flew trying to get into the 200MPH club. Saw 20 year old pickled Firestone LSR tires come out of barrels. "World's Fastest Indian" brought it back for me; those Firestones had shoe black coloring/hiding the exposed cord. They passed tech because those tires were made up of nothing but cord anyway; they do nothing but slip and spin for a couple miles; the shoe black just cut off stupid conclusions/accusations by know nothings.

gkabbt
05-02-2012, 08:34 PM
John,

Fantastic story!!!!! I kind of had similiar experiences, except the Firestone tires, on my trip there in 2009.

As I posted above, I am planning on going to the World of Speed in September of this year just to see what that is like. I have heard many people say they prefer it over SpeedWeek because rooms are cheaper and it is more laid back.

With luck and $$$$ I honestly hope to have my Rampage there for WOS in 2013.

Gregg

johnl
05-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Well . . 2013 .. . maybe I could bring a Rampage too. Maybe get Alan Jones too. We could kill some Rabbit, VW that is.

Now you got me dreaming about SCTA and El Mirage . . . .

RoadWarrior222
05-03-2012, 01:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGhQ2BDt4VE&feature=related

gkabbt
05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Well . . 2013 .. . maybe I could bring a Rampage too. Maybe get Alan Jones too. We could kill some Rabbit, VW that is.

Now you got me dreaming about SCTA and El Mirage . . . .

Funny that you mention Rabbit....
When I started my project, I had many emails to Dan Warner (Head of Impound with the SCTA) and Mike Manghelli (then Truck Chairman with the SCTA) about things I wanted to do with my truck. Mike runs and Dan helps out on a VW pickup (based on the Rabbit) in the G/BMMP class that last year went 194+ for a record. I was talking with Dan about 2 months ago about something I wanted to do with my truck and at the end of the conversation, I asked about their truck. Well, it turns out that Mike got all the HP out of the turbo 4 he has has in it and is going to a turbo VR6.....into the F category which is the class I will be running.
So, I agree, let's kill the Rabbit.

Gregg

P.S.
To add fuel to your fire, El Mirage is running May 18 - 19.....Go have fun and take some pictures for me.
I will get there sometime next year as I never went when I lived in So. Cal. many years ago.

johnl
05-03-2012, 09:39 PM
On my calendar. No promises. Got an out of town guest coming into town that weekend; maybe he'd like to go. Gotta show em around town anyway and LSRs at El Mirage might be to his interest.

That Rabbit was a turbo diesel? and now they're going V6 turbo gas? I'm ignorant of the classes . . . I just knew that a Rabbit held some kind of small truck record.

edit - never mind, I found their website.

gkabbt
05-04-2012, 05:45 AM
John,

Glad you got it on your calendar and hope you can make. From all the pics I've seen before, looks like a really cool venue. El Mirage is one of the hardest tracks to set high speed records because of the dirt.....The Dirty 200 Club is a cherished honor.

Also, my apologies to you (and every one else) for not posting the link to Mike's White Goose Bar website for the VW truck so here it is:
http://www.whitegoosebar.com/ Mike's truck did start out as a Diesel and then he swapped in a turbo4 engine on gas and that is what he set his 194+ record with. Dan Warner told me they had wrung all the power the could get out of that engine and could not get to 200 at B'ville so that is they are swapping the turbo4 for the VR6 that will be turbo as well.

Hope this helps,
Gregg

gkabbt
08-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Wanted to let everyone know that I got my truck back from Rod Crafters.
Here is my build diary update on the landracing.com website starting at post #110:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10671.105.html

Also, last Wednesday I made a trip up to Philidelphia to Brian Slowe's shop and picked up one of these:
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/GKABBT/Stuff/K-Member.jpg
Thanks again Brian!
All I can say about Mr. Slowe is WOW! There is so much going at his shop it is incredible. From the work he has done on his car to the transmission stuff he is currently doing to the work on Eric Depenbrok's Spirit.....absolutely incredible. If you get a chance to get to Philly by all means go see Brian.

As you can see, my junk has been coming together slowly but now that I'm retired, the pace will pickup.....hopefully.

As I posted in my other project log, let me know what you think.

C'Ya,
Gregg

PS
About the retirement thing.......Yeah, I know, I suck (LOL!!!)

RoadWarrior222
08-19-2012, 01:16 PM
I spent 2 mins staring figuring out what that extra round bit on the LHS (RHS of pic) does... before realising it's a spool of wire on teh shelf below :D

Reeves
08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Gregg,
Went over and read some of the new progress on your car. Wow....again!

Can't wait to see it soon. Please let us know when you post up more pics.

gkabbt
08-29-2012, 11:41 AM
James,

Yeah, lots have been going and a whole lot more to do before next April.
Currently doing the wire brush thing on the underside, engine bay, cab floor and bed getting all that ready for primer.
I'm also doing the square tubing stiffening like fishcleaner did to his Omni's engine bay.

Will do on the pics.

Gregg

gkabbt
04-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Been a while since I updated this, so here goes:

Retirement has so far been both good and bad for Me and my Wife, LOL. Good in that we don't have to go to work anymore but bad in that there has been WAY to much crap to do that we have been putting off for to long.....in the house, on the house and around the house and yard. We also have been doing a little traveling so that has taken up some time. Yeah, I know.....WAAAAAA! :D

As for my Rampage:
I thought I could "easily" wire wheel clean the underside of my truck on jack stands, but this age thing is a biotch as my arms gave out after about 5 mins. A friend is also building a Rampage for LSR and had built a rotisserie for work on the underside of his truck. He finished using the it around the 1st of March and I went out to MO. and picked it up. My truck is now on the rotisserie and I'm about 3/4 finished cleaning the underside and should be finished next week sometime. It would be this week but Thursday I'm on my way out to Wilmington, OH for the ECTA LSR event. Since I am so far behind my original schedule, my plan now is to have the truck finished and ready for the ECTA September meet.

As I've posted before, my main Build Diary is on landracing.com and I have this link starting on page 10 which goes back to last November:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10671.135.html

As usual, let me know what you think.

Gregg

Reaper1
04-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Gregg, are either one of you LSR guys running a Masi engine? If so, I've got some questions, if neither of you mind.

gkabbt
04-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Gregg, are either one of you LSR guys running a Masi engine? If so, I've got some questions, if neither of you mind.

Sorry Reaper1, can't help you out. I'm going to run a Neon SRT4 engine and Steve is going to run a Turbo VW diesel.

Gregg

Vigo
04-22-2013, 10:41 PM
OOOOOOO vw diesel! One of my last remaining FWD Mopar ambitions is to get hold of an early 79-82 L-body 2dr with a 1.7 and put a TDI in it. Is your friend Steve using the trans/axles/mounts etc from a stock 1.7L Dodge car?

gkabbt
04-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Vigo,
Yep, he is using the 1.7l stuff. When I saw his truck last month he was explaining how all the parts (Dodge / VW) simply bolted together. These vehicles continue to amaze me with the way the parts interchange. :nod:
Here is his build diary on landracing.com: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10625.0.html .....check it out.
He is hoping to have it ready for the Bonneville USFRA World of Speed event in September.

Gregg

Vigo
04-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks so much! This is the coolest thing ive seen in months.. Im sure it will drive my crazy wanting to do my own TDI build. Now if only i could find one of those 99%-extinct early 2-doors.. :(

2.216VTurbo
04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Whoah Gregg, I just lost an hour on the LSR forums after you posted that link:o Cool build thread:thumb: I need to get busy on paint and bodywork for my Rampage. Engine and drivetrain are fresh and ready for summer but it's too ugly to drive and the wonderful state of Kalifonia won't let me register it again until the biannual smog check is done. I've tried for years to get the truck recertified under the older chassis with a newer engine swap (this swap is 'allowed' by CARB the governing air quality board out here)but have not been succesful after multiple tries:mad: It's getting aharder and harder to get that elusive smog certificate-even by any means necessary;)

gkabbt
04-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Guys,
Yeah, Steve's truck is really coming along nicely with the VW goodies. Do it Vigo, you know you want to.....LOL!
Alan, sorry to hear about the CRAP you are having to put with in Calif. When I lived there back in the late 60's / early 70's thing were really not that bad.
Seems like time screws most everything up.....everywhere.

Gregg

Vigo
04-23-2013, 06:03 PM
I skimmed his entire thread and saved all his engine related pictures. And the picture of his cage because WOW. Now to re-read your thread and refresh myself!

gkabbt
04-23-2013, 07:21 PM
If you need more info from Steve and his VW powered Rampage just register on landracing.com and shoot him a PM.....it's a free site.
He is crazy like me about these L-bodys, a DAMN good craftsman and a very nice guy to boot. I'm sure he would be willing to get more pics if you need them.

I just checked car-part.com and there are 2 1.7L L-body's in Pasadena, TX about 3 hrs. from you. If they still have them, there are your 1.7 mounts.
Year (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=Texas&userIMS=&userInterchange=CD%3F>D&userSide=&userDate=1980&userDate2=1980&dbModel=22.24.5.5&userModel=Dodge Omni&dbPart=300.1&userPart=Engine&sessionID=600000000000000000133866294&userPreference=year&userZip=78201&userLat=29.4697&userLong=-98.5294&userIntSelect=861038&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=)
Part
Model
Description
Miles (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=Texas&userIMS=&userInterchange=CD%3F>D&userSide=&userDate=1980&userDate2=1980&dbModel=22.24.5.5&userModel=Dodge Omni&dbPart=300.1&userPart=Engine&sessionID=600000000000000000133866294&userPreference=miles&userZip=78201&userLat=29.4697&userLong=-98.5294&userIntSelect=861038&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=)
Part
Grade (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=Texas&userIMS=&userInterchange=CD%3F>D&userSide=&userDate=1980&userDate2=1980&dbModel=22.24.5.5&userModel=Dodge Omni&dbPart=300.1&userPart=Engine&sessionID=600000000000000000133866294&userPreference=grade&userZip=78201&userLat=29.4697&userLong=-98.5294&userIntSelect=861038&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=)
Stock#
US
Price
Dealer Info
Dist (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=Texas&userIMS=&userInterchange=CD%3F>D&userSide=&userDate=1980&userDate2=1980&dbModel=22.24.5.5&userModel=Dodge Omni&dbPart=300.1&userPart=Engine&sessionID=600000000000000000133866294&userPreference=zip&userZip=78201&userLat=29.4697&userLong=-98.5294&userIntSelect=861038&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=)
mile
Engine
Plymouth Horizon
1.7L,2BC.
$350
Manuel's Used Auto Parts (http://www.manuelsusedautoparts.com/) USA-TX(Pasadena) E-mail 1-800-435-5748
Engine
Plymouth Horizon
5-81,CARB,1.7L,STD VW
$350
Manuel's Used Auto Parts (http://www.manuelsusedautoparts.com/) USA-TX(Pasadena) E-mail 1-800-435-5748

Do it.....:evil:

Hope this helps,
Gregg

Vigo
04-24-2013, 01:55 AM
It just so happens i also sent YOU a pm about some rare stuff you might be looking for. :)

gkabbt
04-24-2013, 05:36 AM
Thanks and replied to.

Gregg