PDA

View Full Version : How to Relocate Battery?

Whorse
05-11-2006, 01:44 AM
I've got some space on my front passenger side and I want to move my battery over. I haven't checked the electrical diagrams yet, but if I do choose to move it, do I need to run multiple wires and rewire my main power wires, or can I just install 2 distribution blocks near the stock battery location?

Clay
05-11-2006, 09:03 AM
The way I have done it in the past is to cut the ends off of the battery cables, then run new 4 gauge+ wire to the relocated battery. Then solder the 4 gauge+ cable to the old battery cables. I also typically run a new short ground to the frame close to where the battery has been relocated.

clay

shadow88
05-13-2006, 03:57 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/shadowt2/th_engine.jpg (http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/shadowt2/engine.jpg)

this is mine, uses a lawn tractor battery from canadian tire rated at 340 cca. it works just fine. Obviously an old pic, but I ran battery cables in front of the rad and over to the passenger side.

This made room for cold air intake and helped even out the front weight distribution. hope this helps.

Whorse
05-13-2006, 07:44 PM
The way I have done it in the past is to cut the ends off of the battery cables, then run new 4 gauge+ wire to the relocated battery. Then solder the 4 gauge+ cable to the old battery cables. I also typically run a new short ground to the frame close to where the battery has been relocated.

clay

Sounds good for a simple move, but when I cut my battery lines to put on the new terminals, I could tell the copper was quite corroded, and should be replaced.

Clay
05-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Sounds good for a simple move, but when I cut my battery lines to put on the new terminals, I could tell the copper was quite corroded, and should be replaced.

cut it back until the corrosion is gone, and go from there.

WVRampage
05-13-2006, 11:29 PM
I used some teflon 2 peices of 1by 2 inch the one on top has a bolt in it and then glued to the longer one then wraped in fiberglass cloth and resin,that way its good and strong,that way the longer part can be bolted down and the bolt coming up is insulated,that way you can bolt all the positive wires to it and works fine been that way for a few years,My battery is on the passenger side where the charcoal can was.

Whorse
05-14-2006, 12:40 AM
Also curious about the best way to mount it. I was just going to drill and tap some threads and by an aftermarket mount.

GLHNSLHT2
05-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I go down to the welding shop and get some 2 guage negative welding lead with some butt connectors and eyelet connectors. Cut the ends off the cables. Slide them into the butt connectors, and run my leads to wherever I need them to go. Then crimp on the eyelets and bolt it up to the battery. I also use the lawn tractor battery mounted over the old charcoal can. It's held in by the A/C lines on my car for the last 6 years and hasn't had an issue yet. With other cars I'd probably use a clamp and J-bolts. A buddy uses some sort of jam nut from the upper rad support to hold the battery in place.

WVRampage
05-14-2006, 12:29 PM
I welded up a tray with 1 inch angle and welded it to the car then use a 2 inch by 1/8 inch peice of steel to hold the battery down,a peice of all thread os in one side and a bolt in the core support to hold the battery in looks good and leaves plenty of room for the intake and intercooler pipes.

Whorse
05-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Do you need a shorter battery than normal to clear the hood?

shadow88
05-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Oh YES!! measure the space available, buy the largest one you can fit, aslo get a battery tray ( 12 bucks) and trim it as needed. while your at it, get j hooks for the hold down. Mine took me about 2 1/2 hours and less than $100 bucks. :thumb:

Whorse
05-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Oh YES!! measure the space available, buy the largest one you can fit, aslo get a battery tray ( 12 bucks) and trim it as needed. while your at it, get j hooks for the hold down. Mine took me about 2 1/2 hours and less than $100 bucks. :thumb:

Excellent, that's the kind of advice I am looking for :thumb:

Right now I'm busy chopping up my bumper to mount my porsche IC, so by the time that's done, I'll be ready for some creative thinking with the battery. Might try it next weekend if I can't get my clutch done.

Ground Rat
05-15-2006, 12:56 AM
You might want to consider some sort of aluminum battery tray or straps to save on weight.

Whorse
05-15-2006, 01:11 AM
With my car I'm not too concerned about weight. It's a fully loaded convertible with a sound system, so it already weighs a tonne.

I would probably look into that for my Van, however. Good suggestion.

Skibbe
05-15-2006, 02:14 PM
With my car I'm not too concerned about weight. It's a fully loaded convertible with a sound system, so it already weighs a tonne.

I would probably look into that for my Van, however. Good suggestion.

If you're not concerned about weight and balance, is it worth the effort to move it?

With a sound system, you're not going to want to go with a smaller lawn tractor battery anyway, so if you can't fit a standard battery on the other side, I would concentrate my efforts on something else.

Whorse
05-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah if it doesn't fit I won't move it, but might look into putting an additional one there to handle the extra current load. Also, I will probably be doing the swap on my Van, which I want to lighten.