PDA

View Full Version : Rad for water to air IC?

JuXsA
05-10-2006, 10:46 PM
I was wondering if a Transmission Fluid Cooler for a turbo mini would work for a water to air IC to cool the water? And by this I mean to cool the water that has already been through the IC.
The size of the core I think is 6.25''x11.75'' with .25" inlets.... would this work or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks

omnivore
05-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Any motorcycle junkyard can hook you up with a small rad from a liquid cooled motorcycle, complete with cooling fan fitted to it. This is your best bet if you are looking to do it cheap with used stuff.

JuXsA
05-12-2006, 11:08 AM
huh.... didn't even think about that.... I will have to ask my motorcycle buddy if he has any rads I can get from him...

supercrackerbox
05-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Otherwise, yeah, that's what we used on my buddy's T-bird. Picked one up for like $40 from Summit.

burnfaster
05-13-2006, 09:42 AM
I made my stock intercooler into a heat exchanger for mine .

supercrackerbox
05-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Interesting. Care to elaborate?

johnl
05-13-2006, 03:04 PM
I was wondering if a Transmission Fluid Cooler for a turbo mini would work for a water to air IC to cool the water? And by this I mean to cool the water that has already been through the IC.
The size of the core I think is 6.25''x11.75'' with .25" inlets.... would this work or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks

I think it was on the Garrett/Spearco site where I was reading about A:W ICs and learned that they recommend a radiator about the size of those on compact cars for their A:W ICs.

You have to dump the same heat and you are doing it with two heat exchangers, as opposed to one. Yes, water is more efficient at pulling heat out of the metal fins of a heat exchanger (A:W IC) but that water then has to dump that heat into the second heat exchanger (IC Radiator) AND you are still pulling heat out of the AIR of the intake charge at the IC and then you have to push that same heat out of the radiator into the AIR outside - that is the same operation as with an A:A IC PLUS the heat has to go through two more exchange operations FROM the metal of the IC and TO the metal of the radiator - LESS efficient - not more.

Bottom line, your radiator for an A:W IC should be BIGGER (more surface area) than the best A:A IC that you might use as an alternative for your power level.

So, an A:W IC does not reduce the size of your IC package AND it IS more complicated. You have (1) the A:W IC and (2) the radiator for the A:W IC. Plus you have the complication of (1) two sets of hoses (a) the hoses for the air for the IC and (b) the hoses for the coolant for the IC, and (2) the pump, and (3) wiring it up. Then there is the greater risk of component failure that these additional parts/fabrications bring with them - as opposed to the simplicity of a simple A:A IC.

For my two cents, the real advantages offered by the A:W IC are (1) you can place an A:W IC under the hood and closer to the turbo and to the throttle body and that means LESS BENDS and LESS intercooler tract VOLUME for a presumed efficiency as compared to a A:A with 5 or 6 more feet of pipe and 3 or 4 additional right angle bends, and (2) it is easier and less destructive of your car (such as an Omni) to run 5/8" hose to a thin FM A:W IC's radiator than it is to run 3" to thick and bulky FM A:A IC.

burnfaster
05-18-2006, 06:18 PM
I cut the outlets off my csx intercooler flush to the tanks and tig welded half inch aluminum plate with 3/8 NPT holes in their places . The rest of the system includes the intercooler , a reservoir (it's mounted as the high point so it'll burp) a small fan , and a 12v pump . Also an aftermarket fan controller setup modified to switch the pump and fan based on a thermistor mounted in the intercooler .

mech1nxh
05-19-2006, 09:06 AM
I cut the outlets off my csx intercooler flush to the tanks and tig welded half inch aluminum plate with 3/8 NPT holes in their places . The rest of the system includes the intercooler , a reservoir (it's mounted as the high point so it'll burp) a small fan , and a 12v pump . Also an aftermarket fan controller setup modified to switch the pump and fan based on a thermistor mounted in the intercooler .

thermistor placement?...also gpm pump volume? .....continuous pump on
or demand based?
T.I.A.

Frank
05-19-2006, 09:42 AM
I am going to be using a Geo Metro radiator, or anything of a similar size. Also go with a thin radiator... allows for a higher mass flow rate of air to remove heat.

Frank

JuXsA
05-19-2006, 10:35 AM
hmmmm what are the dimensions of the geo metro rad?

burnfaster
05-19-2006, 07:04 PM
thermistor placement?...also gpm pump volume? .....continuous pump on
or demand based?
T.I.A.

My intercooler came with tapped holes in the top and bottom (I'm assuming for mounting brackets) I enlarged one of those for the thermistor , and used the other for mounting the unit . The pump & fan are activated by the thermistor via relays , the fan runs two minutes after the pump shuts off .It's a really simple circuit . The pump , I don't remember the exact flow without looking it up , but it was similar to the shur-flo ones I was looking into at the same time .

burnfaster
05-19-2006, 07:06 PM
BTW , my runner up at the time was a metro rad . I just thought of this as I am reticent to get out in front of the core support on this car .

mech1nxh
05-21-2006, 11:28 PM
My intercooler came with tapped holes in the top and bottom (I'm assuming for mounting brackets) I enlarged one of those for the thermistor , and used the other for mounting the unit . The pump & fan are activated by the thermistor via relays , the fan runs two minutes after the pump shuts off .It's a really simple circuit . The pump , I don't remember the exact flow without looking it up , but it was similar to the shur-flo ones I was looking into at the same time .

thx...burnfaster...off to parts land..lol..again!!