PDA

View Full Version : halfshaft problem with no symptoms

looneytuner
05-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I just pulled my right side axle because the boots were torn. Just noticed the bearing in the halfshaft was wasted. There were NO symptoms. No vibration, wheel wiggle, nothing. This is the bearing where the brace to the block is.

5sp. mini
05-10-2006, 08:55 PM
just pull the whole thing and install a long axle till you find the part and can repair your old stuff. AL

looneytuner
05-10-2006, 10:31 PM
just pull the whole thing and install a long axle till you find the part and can repair your old stuff. AL

I was just alerting others that the problem can exist. This could be the reason some people have trouble tearing up axles. If you don't pull it and check, it looks ok. Parts are no problem in St. Louis. I just got an axle rebuilt for 53 bucks. They bead blasted, installed new joints and boots and painted the axle in 2 hours.

turbovanmanČ
05-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Did you get a new intermediate shaft? as the bearing is no longer available.

5sp. mini
05-11-2006, 07:22 AM
ya we have been getting new shafts for around 45.00 to 75.00. but the inter. shaft bearing has to be pressed in i think. i had a ripped boot last year on my daytona some how water got in it and froze what a vib. flet like wheel was coming off. check your mt.s maybe weak and lend to bearing going bad? al

turbovanmanČ
05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
ya we have been getting new shafts for around 45.00 to 75.00. but the inter. shaft bearing has to be pressed in i think. i had a ripped boot last year on my daytona some how water got in it and froze what a vib. flet like wheel was coming off. check your mt.s maybe weak and lend to bearing going bad? al

Where are you getting new intermediate shafts?

looneytuner
05-11-2006, 07:51 PM
HAH!!! It appears I'm not. I'm checking for nos now. Chrysler is not stocking the carrier bearing anymore. If I can't find nos, it's pull whatever I see in the junkyard for the future. 5 TD's means stock up while they are still in the yards. The one I thought was bad just has loose rubber on the carrier bearing. I'm going to try coating with rubber repair compound and hammer back on. I have one with a jury rig. The rubber has a steel band inside and somebody whck the rubber with a punch to bend the steel ring so ithe rubber grabs the bearing again. Find me a source of those weird bearings and we can rebuild them. Maybe overseas mopar warehouses still have some.

turbovanmanČ
05-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I know there discontinued, trust me, I have spent alot of time searching, :(

MiniMopar
05-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Look for ID numbers on the bearing itself and trying hitting a bearing shop to see if that can cross-reference it. You probably can't get the bearing assembly, but perhaps the bearing itself.

looneytuner
05-12-2006, 10:06 PM
MiniMopar

That's what I'm working on. I'll check this week on the bearing with Brewer Bearing. they handle just about any bearing made anywhere in the world. I think Jonny Spiva could fab a replacement for the rubber. Td's should be running for another 100 years. The rubber part has a metal insert in it. It looks like the bearing presses in the rubber and the rubber presses on the bracket.

I found a Jap company (Nachi) that has single and double radial bearings.

turbovanmanČ
05-13-2006, 03:10 AM
MiniMopar

That's what I'm working on. I'll check this week on the bearing with Brewer Bearing. they handle just about any bearing made anywhere in the world. I think Jonny Spiva could fab a replacement for the rubber. Td's should be running for another 100 years. The rubber part has a metal insert in it. It looks like the bearing presses in the rubber and the rubber presses on the bracket.

I found a Jap company (Nachi) that has single and double radial bearings.

Excellent, :eyebrows:

looneytuner
05-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Weren't there big old GM rwd cars that had a two piece driveshaft with a similar setup?? Somebody has to be making those. Might save the time to find a maker. Might have been the first v6 mini olds and buicks from the seventies.

turbovanmanČ
05-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Working on a Daytona today and BAM, the bearing has a nice, clear readable number-

SKF ITALY 1639207 B

Turbo_Rampage
05-14-2006, 01:23 AM
You can still get the L-body style intermediate shaft carrier bearing from the Dodge Dealer (#05212961 its also an SKF brand bearing made in italy) I am pretty sure you can make it fit on any TD, :thumb: I pulled apart a 86 C/S Daytona, and it had this same bearing & bracket assembly as my Shelby Charger. (i still have the spare intermediate shaft from the Daytona.. maybe they are the same as the L-body in the 1st gen daytona??)

turbovanmanČ
05-14-2006, 02:20 AM
L bodies are different. I guess anything can be made to work.

looneytuner
05-14-2006, 10:19 AM
You can still get the L-body style intermediate shaft carrier bearing from the Dodge Dealer (#05212961 its also an SKF brand bearing made in italy) I am pretty sure you can make it fit on any TD, :thumb: I pulled apart a 86 C/S Daytona, and it had this same bearing & bracket assembly as my Shelby Charger. (i still have the spare intermediate shaft from the Daytona.. maybe they are the same as the L-body in the 1st gen daytona??)
The bearilng, rubber and bracket are an assembly that presses on the axle. Sounds like it should work. I'll order tomorrow and see.