PDA

View Full Version : top won,t work?

5sp. mini
05-09-2006, 08:16 PM
friend at work his 93 lebaron top did not go back up . so he open the line in the trunk and put the top up by hand . next day we found bad fuse to top under thr hood. after puttsome fluid back i the pump now it won,t go down or move. any help thanks alan

Stevien1
05-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Jump 12v to the pump and see if it runs. The pumps sometimes just quit after being overheated too many times (low fluid, too many cycles in a row, etc).

-Chuck James

89gtcturbo
05-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Did you check the relay near the pump? You should hear it click when you hit "up" or "down". Are you hearing any top motor noise, or nothing at all? If it's trying to work, I'm wondering if it's an air bubble trapped, although I've not heard of that. Because of the blown fuse, I would check the switch itself, and the wiring for scrapes, too. Overdoing it w/the motor would be a good reason, too.
For future reference, the top will usually move (albeit slowly) without disconnecting the lines. Just put even steady pressure in the direction you want to go. The '89 and earliers have a relieve valve in the trunk that bleeds off the fluid back into the system in emergencies.

Whorse
05-09-2006, 11:14 PM
I had the same problem, and it was the stupidest thing I could imagine. The contacts on the switch were corroded. Take the switch apart and clean the contacts with a piece of fine sandpaper or a screwdriver or something and see if that helps.