PDA

View Full Version : Differnetial question

thedon809
09-03-2009, 09:05 PM
I have my 86 turbo transmission torn apart. Which only has 3 clutch drums :(. I was wondering if the diff from a neon 31th would work. If it does work i'm guessing I would need 87+ axles correct? I will basically swap the guts from a 31th into my a413.

turbovanmanČ
09-03-2009, 09:16 PM
I have my 86 turbo transmission torn apart. Which only has 3 clutch drums :(. I was wondering if the diff from a neon 31th would work. If it does work i'm guessing I would need 87+ axles correct? I will basically swap the guts from a 31th into my a413.

The diff will swap but you also need the large metal bearing retainer and you need to swap over the pinion gear or output shaft as well, then check bearing preload.

The guts will swap except I would change the rear planetary or reuse your stocker, the Neon ones are cast and are weak.

Get the Sonnax rear band strut, governor fix kit while your in there and do the valve body mods, block the accumulator.

Yes, you'll need 87+ axles.

You will also need to reuse your pump with the input shaft and TC as the Neon use's a lock up TC with a hollow input shaft. You will need to reuse the Neon v/b which isn't a big deal as they are basically the same. If you retained the Neon TC, it does stall lower which can affect power around town but then you could hook up the LU to a toggle switch for the highway.

thedon809
09-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I will be using my original torque converter and input shaft. I wanted the newer diff because of the stronger axles and bigger bearing. I'm having racersteve reweld and reline a kickdown band and mod the piston and high gear return spring. He is also hooking me up with the whole kit. I only plan to make 250 or so whp but I want this tranny to never break.

turbovanmanČ
09-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Ok, still change the rear planetary if your going to all this hassle, get a new tc, IE from turbos unleashed. No point doing all that work to put a used or weak tc back in.

thefitisgay
09-03-2009, 09:52 PM
so how much would it cost to build a trans that would take 350 whp all day without an issue?

thedon809
09-03-2009, 10:06 PM
so how much would it cost to build a trans that would take 350 whp all day without an issue?It depends. At that power level you will most likely want an obx or peloquin lsd and better torque converter. The rebuild kit is only 250 or so dollars. LSD is like 600-1100, torque converter 500 or so, and add a 100 for misc stuff.

turbovanmanČ
09-04-2009, 02:52 AM
so how much would it cost to build a trans that would take 350 whp all day without an issue?

Hard to say, TU and FWD offer them for sale and Cliff Ramsdel charges around $500 I think, then add a decent converter, $350+, a proper lsd, $600-$1200. Mine just has alot of time in it, OBX, roller rear gear, welded planetaries, not much trick stuff except a decent converter and large tranny cooler.

I also HIGHLY recommend running an inline filter on the cooler lines, they really help keep the oil clean and if you put it before the tranny cooler, you save that too.

Vigo
09-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeh an inline filter on the output cooler line will also help with governor issues.

I had one 670 that had so many recurring governor issues that i put filters on BOTH LINES:lol: (i already had them sitting and didnt pay for them) and never had another governor issue. But that thing was satanic and we had already tried every damn thing at that point.

Most normal cases one inline filter and a good cooler are all you need.

thedon809
09-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Ok, still change the rear planetary if your going to all this hassle, get a new tc, IE from turbos unleashed. No point doing all that work to put a used or weak tc back in.What do you mean by IE? I will be using the older rear planetary and i'm going to weld both. I just got my pinion and neon diff. Both look way stronger than my 86 diff and pinion.

turbovanmanČ
09-04-2009, 03:47 PM
What do you mean by IE? I will be using the older rear planetary and i'm going to weld both. I just got my pinion and neon diff. Both look way stronger than my 86 diff and pinion.

IE means Example, so use Turbo's Unleashed etc.

The later tranny's got solid pinion gears vs hollow in the older ones.

Good on the Planetary's. :nod:

thedon809
09-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Haha I didn't catch that, I wasn't thinking. I think for now I'm just going to get a new stock converter. Not enough money. I didn't realize how easy it was to pull the tranny. 10x easier than pulling trannys out of dodge rams thats for sure.

DBB mini
09-06-2009, 10:33 AM
$500.00 for a converter?:confused2: What is it, platinum? Sheesh I emailed nan they told me $250.00 :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
09-06-2009, 02:44 PM
$500.00 for a converter?:confused2: What is it, platinum? Sheesh I emailed nan they told me $250.00 :thumb:

Wonder what they do to it? Any custom work or do they simply just add a bearing? Warranty?

thedon809
09-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Racersteve told me around 450 for a pats converter made to my specs.

DBB mini
09-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Wonder what they do to it? Any custom work or do they simply just add a bearing? Warranty?

Stock with a torrington bearing to replace the washer for sure. I didn't ask him any more about it. Price was right. I figured I trapped 101 on the bone stocker didn't want to change a good thing;). Not sure about the warranty, I'll ask them.