PDA

View Full Version : shipping plastic body panels

87glhs
09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
I ran across a member who has some plastic I need for the back of an '87 Charger. Due to the size/bulkiness of the resulting package UPS seems to want a small fortune, and/or my spleen, to ship it.

Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? How do the body shops ship this stuff at reasonable rates? (Or is that why they charge $300 to do touch-up work now!)

Thanks--

Nemesismachine
09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
My fenders came in a large box, stuffed with paper. Not a freight charge, but higher than 3 day. I would wrap it up with shrink wrap, maybe some stiff cardboard reenforcement, and packing peanuts or paper filler.

On a related note, a member here shipped me my sideskirts and front air dam wrapped in ONLY shrink wrap. They made it okay...

rare_ram
09-02-2009, 09:11 PM
UPS robs the average person. I was shipping a part to a guy and went to the UPS store and got a quote of $30. I then took the part to work and they sent me a bill for $7.

JDAWG
09-02-2009, 10:33 PM
most body shops hget stuff from the dealership, which they get from the warehouse with their own dds (dedicated delivery service) aftermarket parts come from someone local usauly stacked in the back of a pick up truck. I guess its "oversized". Call greyhound, they usaully charge a small fee and you have to pick it up at the bus terminal. Got rear window louvers like that once.