PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Rt- need more knowledge

1qk4dr
05-09-2006, 03:32 PM
I finally checked out the RT since it broke down. I have more time now since school is over for the summer. I got 150-152-150-150 for compression. The car idles funny now, Streched timing belt??? There is a loud high picked noise coming about mid motor with a slight knocking? What does a bad timing belt tensioner pully sound like??? I'm going to pull the motor this summer. I'm thinking of doing this-

new vac lines,
New assessory shaft bushing- where do I find these?
New oil pump- the one in it now works fine but if I'm going to dig into it....
Maybe another assessory shaft installed.
New gaskets- what head gasket do you guys recommend?
New timming belt- I'm going to get a Dayco- I had good result with it last time. Gatorback didn't last too long.

What other things should I check out too???

I want to make it run good this time. I miss driving it. I have a the 03 Mustang Cobra but it isn't the same. There's just something about the car. I just wish it would stay together.

Joe
1991 Dodge Spirit Rt
1990 Volvo 240
2003 Mustang Cobra

turbovanmanČ
05-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Just give me your Lotus engine for my 8v and you'll be fine, :eyebrows: :lol:

Yes, a bad tensioner or idler pulley can squeal and knock. I have read you install a regular 8v intermediate shaft and oil pump. You can get those bearings from FWD performance or any decent machine shop.

bansheenut420
05-10-2006, 03:19 AM
I finally checked out the RT since it broke down. I have more time now since school is over for the summer. I got 150-152-150-150 for compression. The car idles funny now, Streched timing belt??? There is a loud high picked noise coming about mid motor with a slight knocking? What does a bad timing belt tensioner pully sound like??? I'm going to pull the motor this summer. I'm thinking of doing this-

new vac lines,
New assessory shaft bushing- where do I find these?
New oil pump- the one in it now works fine but if I'm going to dig into it....
Maybe another assessory shaft installed.
New gaskets- what head gasket do you guys recommend?
New timming belt- I'm going to get a Dayco- I had good result with it last time. Gatorback didn't last too long.

What other things should I check out too???

I want to make it run good this time. I miss driving it. I have a the 03 Mustang Cobra but it isn't the same. There's just something about the car. I just wish it would stay together.

Joe
1991 Dodge Spirit Rt
1990 Volvo 240
2003 Mustang Cobra
That noise could very likely be the tensioner. As far as gaskets, mopar head gasket if your stock boost, cometic (with arp head studs) if your not. Get your timing belt from FWD they have the italian made belt that seems to last the longest. Call cindy at FWD she will get you taken care of! :thumb:

1qk4dr
05-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Just give me your Lotus engine for my 8v and you'll be fine, :eyebrows: :lol:

Yes, a bad tensioner or idler pulley can squeal and knock. I have read you install a regular 8v intermediate shaft and oil pump. You can get those bearings from FWD performance or any decent machine shop.

I don't know about trading you motors but I really like your van.

I did install a regular 8V intermediate shaft and oil pump. I'm planning soon to take the pullies off to check if they're any good. I guess I'll just rotate them and see if I notice a problem. How do you get those bearings out for the intermediate shaft and install new ones?

Joe

1qk4dr
05-10-2006, 08:20 AM
That noise could very likely be the tensioner. As far as gaskets, mopar head gasket if your stock boost, cometic (with arp head studs) if your not. Get your timing belt from FWD they have the italian made belt that seems to last the longest. Call cindy at FWD she will get you taken care of! :thumb:

I already have ARP studs installed. I'm glad that you can use them again and again. I'm planning to run about 15psi. Those cometic gaskets aren't cheep but from what it seem like it's worth it.

turbovanmanČ
05-10-2006, 04:03 PM
I know about trading you motors but I really like your van.

I did install a regular 8V intermediate shaft and oil pump. I'm planning soon to take the pullies off to check if they're any good. I guess I'll just rotate them and see if I notice a problem. How do you get those bearings out for the intermediate shaft and install new ones?

Joe

Thankyou, :thumb:

You drive them out with a bushing driver, then drive the new ones in with an installer or socket that matches the outside diameter. Obviously you have to be carefull when putting them in so you don't damage the very soft bearing.

1qk4dr
05-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Thankyou, :thumb:

You drive them out with a bushing driver, then drive the new ones in with an installer or socket that matches the outside diameter. Obviously you have to be carefull when putting them in so you don't damage the very soft bearing.

Yeah you got to becareful especially for 20 dollars a try. Since the bushing set cost that much.

bansheenut420
05-11-2006, 04:54 AM
I already have ARP studs installed. I'm glad that you can use them again and again. I'm planning to run about 15psi. Those cometic gaskets aren't cheep but from what it seem like it's worth it.
The cometics are reuseable also. Just make sure if your going to use the cometic, the head and block are flat and resurfaced to a roughness ave of 25.

1qk4dr
05-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Both timing belt pullies are good. There is a tiny bit of play in the intermediate shaft. The belt still looks brand new??? I'll buy a Gates and check if I get a good idle.

Joe