PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust studs vs bolts, chrysler V8

135sohc
09-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I replacing the leaking exhaust manifold gaskets on the van w/318 LA engine. In the past we used a combination of studs and bolts to hold the manifolds on and now I'd really like to totally trash the rest of the studs and replace everything with some 12.9 grade socket head bolts/screws.

I'm sure theres a reason why exhaust manifolds use studs due to expansion/contraction rates but with an all cast iron engine is there a reason I cant use all bolts and not have a problem ?

turbovanmanČ
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Nothing wrong with using bolts, most cars only have bolts OEM.

Just remember the end ones go into the water jacket so that's why Dodge used studs. When putting bolts in, you'll have to drain the coolant or do the quick swap and remember to put thread sealant on.

135sohc
09-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Nothing wrong with using bolts, most cars only have bolts OEM.

Just remember the end ones go into the water jacket so that's why Dodge used studs. When putting bolts in, you'll have to drain the coolant or do the quick swap and remember to put thread sealant on.

Oh I know about the end ones. The d-side rear one has been a problem for years. part of the reason why I'm doing the gaskets and not sparing anything. I've got the tube of high temp thread sealant for the bolts and copper spray a gasket for everything else.

Juggy
09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
also check for heads that have had threads fixed

with either plugs, or helicoils.....they are most likely to have broken into the water jacket as well!!!!