PDA

View Full Version : MP 767 cam.

Stevien1
05-09-2006, 01:14 PM
This past weekend I installed a set of 2.4L lifters (along with shims from the Pope) and a MP "767" camshaft. The specs on the cam, IIRC, are .460'' lift and the advertised duration was inbetween a turbo roller and '88 TBI roller. I installed it at 110 centerline like it calls for.

This cam idles like total crap in my 1990 Turbovan, 18'' in park/15'' in gear. The adaptive fuel is at -22% at idle and in-vac part throttle! WOT feels about the same as stock, the turbo spools a earlier, but the horrible idle is unacceptable. This cam ran great in an old carb 2.2 L-body I had, but I was able to lean out the idle with a simple carb adjustment. ;)

Anyone else try this cam in a turbo car?

-Chuck James

turbovanmanČ
05-09-2006, 06:42 PM
I thought the Pope was running one in one of his fuel injected TD's. If I remember correctly, they have alot of duration and overlap so on a fuel injected model, the MAP reads too low and it will idle and run like sh*t until you get the revs up.

89acclaim
05-09-2006, 07:46 PM
You are running that cam with sliders right?

Daniel Merrill

turbovanmanČ
05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Just remembered, did you make sure you had squirters in your cam caps, if not, that cam is going to go flat in hours.

Stevien1
05-09-2006, 09:42 PM
I thought the Pope was running one in one of his fuel injected TD's.

He is, since I had the cam, I figured why not toss it in with the new lifters. It ran great in my old carb 2.2, so why not give it a shot in the van?

If I remember correctly, they have alot of duration and overlap so on a fuel injected model, the MAP reads too low and it will idle and run like sh*t until you get the revs up.

I went through the 13 page thread on the other site and he posted that a stock turbo cam has 20 deg overlap, the 767 has 24, and the '88 TBI has 28. So this cam shouldn't be too radical for stock PCM, I would think! ;)

You are running that cam with sliders right?

Yup.

Just remembered, did you make sure you had squirters in your cam caps, if not, that cam is going to go flat in hours.

Yup, it's a 1983 445 cyl head. I ran this exact cyl head/cam in my L-body, back when- so "they" know eachother!

I should have clarified in my original post that the van is surging at idle, sometimes as much as 300rpm in park/neutral. After work tonight, I checked through all the AIS wires, tried bumping up the min airflow, swapped another AIS, rechecked cam and ignition timing- and still came up empty handed.

I swapped out the Mopar Perf SBEC for the original and it no longer surges at idle! :)

I had suspected that the MP SBEC might be at fault because it would surge at idle even with the AIS unplugged. I watched the spark advance on my 4000E and the DRB at work and it didn't bounce around at all. :confused:

I'm guess I'm going to run with it for a few days and see if it's worth keeping the 767- if MPG drops down too much, it's comin out!!

-Chuck James

turbovanmanČ
05-10-2006, 03:32 AM
I am watching the fuel economy with the S2, if it drops significantly, its coming out too, :eyebrows:

John B
05-10-2006, 03:55 AM
You're using an S-2 now? How is it compared to the S-1?:)

turbovanmanČ
05-10-2006, 04:21 AM
You're using an S-2 now? How is it compared to the S-1?:)

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4174 :thumb: