PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Snapped Axle?

Opticon
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
I recently (3 days ago) finished rebuilding an A568 for my 92 Spirit R/T. I installed a Spec Stage 3+ clutch and a Viscous Limited Slip Diff (self contained kind). i had to have the intermediate axle cut and welded 0.800 shorter and i shaved a 1/4" off the driver side axle after is appeared not to seal correctly. I felt the weekest link in my setup was the axles. so i swore never to use drag slicks, only summer performance tires.

Well, I was taking a hard right turn boosting in 2nd gear when i heard a pop and the car revved like I had disengadged the clutch. when i came to a stop i could feel the clutch engading and the car rocking as I tried every gear, but the car had no torque and could not move under it's own power.

First thing that came to mind was my axles. Does this sound like a good assumption? And if so, can anybody sell me a set quickly? This is my daily driver at the moment and I'm tired of getting rides to work.

Thanks,
Alex

Dave
05-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Um, go take a peak under the car so we can tell if it really is axles.

Sounds like a good assumption. Why did you shave 1/4" off the driver side anyways??

Opticon
05-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Driver side didn't seal correctly. I'm using a Viscous LSD. I had to have the intermediate shaft (prop shaft?) shortened 0.800" to fit. After tearing the car apart last night I found the weld my machinist used was too soft and tore right down the middle.

So I don't need an axle (although I would like to have a spare driver side), I really need a stronger weld job.