PDA

View Full Version : 2.4L PT Cruiser engine into an 89 Caravan?

turbo89mini
08-27-2009, 08:49 PM
So.....

I have just spent the last little bit reading through these forums. I have some questions. Let me first give you an overview.

I have an 89 turbo Caravan with the stock 2.5L engine and 3spd trans.

I am a Mechanical Engineering student at a large university. Chrysler donated a PT cruiser to our department in 1999 to do testing and research before they started selling the PT cruiser in 2000. As far as I know, we got the car, then immediately ripped it apart (including removing the engine and transmission. The engine/trans has been sitting on a pallet ever since. As far as I know it as basically no miles on it.

I have the opportunity to obtain this engine.

I want to put it in my van.

I read through the thread where the guy put an SRT-4 engine in his 89 Plymouth Voyager. However, my PT cruiser 2.4L engine is the same as the Neon 2.4L engine, which I believe is slightly different from the SRT-4 2.4L engine (I hope that sentance makes sense).

Is this doable? I know the PT cruiser used the 4 spd Torqeflite transmission which was first used in 1989 in some of the Dodge Caravans equipped with the 3.0 and 3.3L engines.

Thoughts? Comments? Jokes?

Thanks!

ShelGame
08-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Minor differences in the head from SRT4, that's all. It should swap in as easily as any other 2.4. Also, the early Neon's got the 3-speed auto and it will bolt right onto the 2.4 you have there. Probably easier than trying to wire in the computer to control the 4-speed 604.

turbo89mini
08-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Are you talking about the Gen II Neons with the 31TH? Isn't that the same as the A413 that I currently have?....I think it might be!

turbovanmanČ
08-28-2009, 02:44 AM
Why would there be any jokes? :confused:

Seriously though, his guide will be pretty close, you'll need to fab mounts, intake manifold and other knicknaks. If you use a 3 speed, which is the same as what we get, then you can run the stock SMEC computer setup, use Rbryants dist adapter and get an Ostrich or burner and get or make your own cals.

Its a bit of work but easily doable depending on your fab skills.

ShelGame
08-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Are you talking about the Gen II Neons with the 31TH? Isn't that the same as the A413 that I currently have?....I think it might be!

Nearly the same. The bellhousing bolt pattern is slightly different (1 bolt off). Actually, the Neons have better internals (5 pinion planetarys, bigger diff bearings, etc.)

turbo89mini
08-29-2009, 05:58 PM
I just don't know what I want to do now. ....sigh

I started looking at the 96-2000 Caravans. Those used a 2.4 NA, with the same 31TH 3sp as the neons. so, I could theoretically put it in one of those. I would have a much easier time finding a nice rust-free body then an 89-90 model.

Or....I could do something totally different. I could put it in a Neon?

I'm really just not sure. I've got a brand new PT GT engine, but not sure what to do with it!

Suggestions? What would you do with a free PT GT engine? (dreams are ok).

turbovanmanČ
08-29-2009, 06:10 PM
I just don't know what I want to do now. ....sigh

I started looking at the 96-2000 Caravans. Those used a 2.4 NA, with the same 31TH 3sp as the neons. so, I could theoretically put it in one of those. I would have a much easier time finding a nice rust-free body then an 89-90 model.

Or....I could do something totally different. I could put it in a Neon?

I'm really just not sure. I've got a brand new PT GT engine, but not sure what to do with it!

Suggestions? What would you do with a free PT GT engine? (dreams are ok).

I've thrown around doing an SRT type swap in a 3rd gen but until mine gets written off or? it stays.

You wont' be the first to put an SRT engine into a Neon, its been done alot, I've done one and its ALOT of work, just stick with the 2.0 if your going to turbo a Neon.

If the van is in great shape and you have the time, tools, put the GT engine into the van, 16 valve van's are a friggin blast, :amen:

I might not be the fastest yet but check out these 2 threads, the first has vids-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40957

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41652

turbo89mini
08-29-2009, 06:26 PM
I've thrown around doing an SRT type swap in a 3rd gen but until mine gets written off or? it stays.

If the van is in great shape and you have the time, tools, put the GT engine into the van, 16 valve van's are a friggin blast,

Congrats on being in the 12's.

The problem with my van is that it has some serious rust around the wheel wells. I thought about searching around for a rust-free one (hard to do when we're talking about a 20 year old van in Michigan!)....but if I'm going to spend the money, I could just get a cheap 3rd gen with a GREAT body.

Right now I'm kinda leaning toward the 3rd gen with the PT GT. Has this been done before?

turbovanmanČ
08-29-2009, 06:36 PM

The problem with my van is that it has some serious rust around the wheel wells. I thought about searching around for a rust-free one (hard to do when we're talking about a 20 year old van in Michigan!)....but if I'm going to spend the money, I could just get a cheap 3rd gen with a GREAT body.

Right now I'm kinda leaning toward the 3rd gen with the PT GT. Has this been done before?

Thanks, :thumb:

Ahhhhh, I can't remember the extent of the rust. Is it really that bad?

I don't think anyone has done it, it really shouldn't be that hard, the worst part will the the engine management but I guess you could graft a PT or SRT computer in, :thumb:

ShelGame
08-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Personally, I think a turbo 3rd gen would be sweet :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
09-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Nearly the same. The bellhousing bolt pattern is slightly different (1 bolt off). Actually, the Neons have better internals (5 pinion planetarys, bigger diff bearings, etc.)

Yes and no.

The Neon's do have more clutch packs like turbo cars but they have the weaker rear planetary, its cast and likes to explode. Only the front plantary is upgraded, the rear for some stupid reason, is still only a 4 pinion design, :banghead:

I thought I'd typed this out days ago, lol.

JohnnyIroc
09-05-2009, 03:59 PM

go for a turbo 3rd gen
i think to be different and do something no one else has done would be cool
i wish i could do mine but its to rusty by this point to put all that work into it :mad:
the le ground effects do cover all the visible rust

http://i28.tinypic.com/15owmmw.jpg

JohnnyIroc
09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
http://cgi.ebay.it/_Auto__CHRYSLER-Voyager-2-5-TD-LE-Premium-Package-2000_W0QQitemZ230362312816QQadiZ6576QQadnZAutoQQcm dZViewItemQQptZAutomobile_IT?hash=item35a2a9f070&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

a 5 speed 3rd gen
italy ebay is full of them
chrysler voyager

skip the turbo swap and get an already turbo diesel 5 speed 3rd gen
http://cgi.ebay.it/_Auto__CHRYSLER-Voyager-2-5-turbodiesel-LE-1998-DIESEL_W0QQitemZ270404343616QQadiZ6576QQadnZAutoQQ cmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobile_IT?hash=item3ef55ad740&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14