PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Battery

Ground Rat
05-08-2006, 11:00 PM
I think I'm going to get one of these. I'm just shopping for the best price right now.

ODYSSEY PC680 (http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ODY-PC680) :nod:

http://www.batterymart.com/graphics/00000001/225/ODY-PC680.gif

Anyone ever use one of these?

Ground Rat
05-10-2006, 12:37 AM
I figured you guys would like this. It weighs less than 15lbs!

Force Fed Mopar
05-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Pretty sweet looking. What happens if you have to crank for more than 5 secs though? lol

Garret
05-10-2006, 01:24 AM
I prefer a 12 dollar lawn mower battery from walmart

JeremyL
05-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Good battery! Those & the Stinger SP series are near identical, but the Odyssey batteries are about 50% cheaper when you go to buy them.

2.216VTurbo
05-10-2006, 11:45 PM
I run a similar battery from "Performance Distributers" out of Tennessee, don't kid yourselves, they will crank and crank and crank...

It is best to keep a battery tender on it if you don't drive your rig every couple of days.

One cool part is in an L body they will fit mounted down low on the frame rail in front of the front wheel with no tire interference:thumb: I just cut a little 'window' in the engine compartment sheet metal under the SMEC to allow access to the terminals/posts.:eyebrows:

Charger R/T
05-20-2006, 03:57 PM
I just got back from a week of school in Daytona Learning about fire truck electrical systems. A big part of the class was about batteries. This brand of battery was mentioned. The instructor has worked for both leech neville and neihoff alternators and has tested many alternators and batteries over the years. He felt they were not worth the money they want for them. There biggest claim is to last longer then other batteries but for the added cost you can buy more then one regular battery for the time and save some money. They also list higher CCA numbers but when CCA numbers go up the batteries reserve number goes down. That is true with all batteries not just theres. For the size battery our trucks at work use we can buy 3 regular batteries for the cost of one of these and most of our trucks use 3 or 6 batteries. I would suggest just buying a regular battery and keep the top of it clean and keep the posts clean.
Tim

Ground Rat
05-21-2006, 08:00 PM
I just got back from a week of school in Daytona Learning about fire truck electrical systems. A big part of the class was about batteries. This brand of battery was mentioned. The instructor has worked for both leech neville and neihoff alternators and has tested many alternators and batteries over the years. He felt they were not worth the money they want for them. There biggest claim is to last longer then other batteries but for the added cost you can buy more then one regular battery for the time and save some money. They also list higher CCA numbers but when CCA numbers go up the batteries reserve number goes down. That is true with all batteries not just theres. For the size battery our trucks at work use we can buy 3 regular batteries for the cost of one of these and most of our trucks use 3 or 6 batteries. I would suggest just buying a regular battery and keep the top of it clean and keep the posts clean.
Tim

A regular battery weighs more though. I'll try a lawn mower battery first, since they are cheaper.

contraption22
05-21-2006, 08:41 PM
I have the PC680 in my horizon, although i have yet to fire it up.

rbryant
05-23-2006, 03:03 PM
You can always run the 925 model. It is a little bit bigger. More like 6.5x6.5x5 or something. It has a little more cold cranking amps and is what I am running. It has cranked and cranked while I work to get my new engine going.

-Rich

"Top Fuel" Bender
05-23-2006, 09:58 PM
A regular battery weighs more though. I'll try a lawn mower battery first, since they are cheaper.

My POS "preium" lawn tractor battery ONLY lasted me 5 years!
Then again I think I cooked it last year deep cycling the poor thing
Oh well battery #2

3Bar_Mopar
05-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Heh, I got a 12 dollar lawn mower battery at the end of spring and it started fine when I installed it..... A month later, no bueno. I had to return the sad sucker. Used it twice.... I have lost my faith in cheap LM batteries.

Garret
05-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Mine worked fine and started the car up just fine in Canadian winters, got to minus 55 with the windchill and it started up like normal

BadAssPerformance
05-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Nice battery for the weight. I gotta measure my battery tray... might be too tall for how I have it.

jckrieger
05-24-2006, 01:15 AM
The lawn mower batteries around here are junk. They last about 4 months in an automotive application and maybe a year in a lawn mower if you're lucky.

JDAWG
05-24-2006, 06:53 AM
best insurance I have found
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93258
Mount it in your car, I mounted one in my daughter's 12v power wheels