PDA

View Full Version : Project Spirit L/E

PBODY
08-26-2009, 04:32 PM
This is my 1989 Spirit LE T1 Turbo.

Purchased as a winter car. All stock with a blown head gasket and the clip missing for the WG arm. 135K miles with a pretty clean interior.
Options:
A/C
CC
tilt steering
delay wipers
sun roof (not sure if it is factory or not)
rear defogger

No power windows or door locks.

It did have an aftermarket trans cooler installed. The car ran, but poorly. Has a little bit of rust issues, but not bad for it's age and being a car from the salt belt region.

I started with the removal of the engine and tearing it down. Basically removed the head and oil pan. I decided to replace the Mitsu with a Garrett from a T1 log car. Other mods include removing the BS chain and opening up the oil pump pick up screen along with all new gaskets.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Spirit1.jpg

PBODY
08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Here are some pics of the inside of the engine.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Turbo001.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Turbo003.jpg

I also removed #1 piston to "de-glaze" the flash rust on the cylinder wall from taking in water. All cylinders still showed cross hatching and the bearings still looked good so they were kept.

PBODY
08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Turbo modifications:

I marked the Garret flange using the Mitsu as a template.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Turbo004.jpg

I then drilled 2 pilot holes in the corners where the material needed to be removed.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Turbo005.jpg

I then used a cut off wheel, saws all and whatever else I could find that would cut cast iron to cut the flange.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Turbo006.jpg

Vigo
08-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Looking good. Only time ive ever had to do that i just held it up to a bench grinder for a while. kinda tires your arms tho! :p

Lookin good, i've got an 89 spirit thats apart right now too.. Maybe i should post up!

Keep us updated!

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Very nice, should be a fun sleeper, :nod:

blk86trbo
08-26-2009, 08:18 PM
I like it! Nothing like an unsuspecting Grandma car :nod:

Vigo
08-26-2009, 09:41 PM
heh, get some dorky swiss cheese wheels like mine and people wont know WHAT to think! lol

Mine had those same hubcaps too. Just about every turbo in 89 that didnt have alloys had some kind of turbine-blade looking hubcap, i think.

85boostbox
08-27-2009, 12:08 AM
LOL i had a 89 and mine had the Snowflakes on it. Funny though i cracked a piston in mine and mad ethe mistake of only replacing that one piston to get by. Didn't coincide with all of the other rings and pistons that had a 130000 on them. Car ran but never ran exactly right LOL. But neways keep up the progress. Looks fun.

PBODY
08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the comments. I would like to find a set of wheels for it. I think it would look good with pumpers or crabs, but it is probably cheaper to find some all season radials.

Here are some more pictures of the modifications done.

The turbo was fitted up and the Mitsu coolant feed was "tweaked" to fit. A new coolant drain was made from steel line. The stock oil feed line was installed and a new silicone hose was installed on the oil drain.

I needed to make an adapter for the air inlet of the turbo. I took the log's inlet housing and cut off the flange. The welder at my work welded on a piece of aluminum tubing with works awesome.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Turbo008.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Turbo010.jpg

I also had to clock the turbo outlet and modify the WG bracket. That wasn't too hard to do, but it is pretty tight in there.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Turbo009.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Turbo011.jpg

turbokid
09-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Wow nice work. I have a drivetrainless 89 spirit le original turbo car that was switched to 5 speed. Kinda still wondering what I wanna do with it.
Q

PBODY
09-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Wow nice work. I have a drivetrainless 89 spirit le original turbo car that was switched to 5 speed. Kinda still wondering what I wanna do with it.
Q

If you were closer, I'd buy it from you. My brother in law is looking for a turbo 5-speed Dodge.

turbokid
09-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Come get it.
350 for it rolling with a good title, a 523, and extra parts.

PBODY
09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Motor is back in and running.

Pre-check before starting:

Fuel pressure is good, but not holding. Leak by the fuel filter hose. Tightened clamp for now.

Poured in anti-freeze to see it leak back out at the water pump gasket. Replaced pump and o-ring seal for the water pump housing to the block.

Hit the key and she fired right up to the sound of a HORRIBLE knocking noise. Shut it off. WTF?

Do some checking and find the torque converter bolts look like they are rubbing something. I find the plate between the block and trans is bent in the corner and rubbing the heads of the bolts. Bend that back and all is good. Runs great.

Here is a picture of my vacuum block that cost me $0.00. The zip ties add at least 50 visual HP.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Spirit3.jpg

Vigo
09-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Sounds great!!! let us know when its all scienced out and running the target boost and tell us how it feels :)

jamesmonty
09-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Awesome vac block! I had a spirit turbo that I still kick myself for selling. Good luck!

PBODY
10-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Update time.

I have been driving the car regualarly for the past couple of days. Vacuum line is connected directly to the waste gate can for minimum boost. It is about 5 psi right now. It hauls pretty good for 5 psi. I also adjusted the bands in the A413 to what Simon suggested and increased the line pressure 2 turns. It shifts great. I might go back in and do the shift kit modifications when I start turning up the boost.

Exhaust has been modified. I now have a very free flowing cat ;) and the stock resonator. It dumps down where the stock 1-7/8" tail pipe connected in front of the LR wheel. No muffler right now. I did order a 2.5" turbo muffler and got some 2.5" mandrel bends from a friend to make a new tail pipe. This is so the wife doesn't complain how loud it is. Right now turbo whistle is awesome!

Wheels have been changed to some 14" steel styled mini van wheels with the big chrome center cap. I flipped the tires to black walls and painted the rims black and left the caps chrome. It gives it an old school Mopar look. Tires are a little taller at 195-75-14's. I'll get pics of that soon.

Last night I modified the gauge cluster. My stock tach was sticking and not working properly. I took a spare tach face, removed the guts and cut a 2.5" hole in the middle of it to mount my 2-5/8" Sun tach. I then drilled 4 holes for my Dawes LED's to fit in from behind next to the tach. After peeling off what was left of the original tach face, I painted the whole thing flat black. I didn't have time to wire it up yet, but it looks awesome.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Spirit/gaugeholder.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Spirit/tach.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Spirit/tachin.jpg

Vigo
10-28-2009, 09:56 AM
That is pretty cool. Only thing i would have done different is mask the gauge face and spray the bezel the same flat black as everything else. But it like it!

I have an a/f led strip where your gearshift indicator is in my aries, since its converted from auto to manual.

Cant wait to get my spirit going!!

PBODY
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Was able to do some more work on the Spirit.

Made up the exhaust out of 2.5" mandrel 90 deg. bends and a cheap 2.5" turbo muffler. It isn't pretty, but it works and is actually pretty quite. I can still hear the turbo whistle. I'm very pleased with it. It adds to the "stealth" factor.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Spirit/100_3322.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Spirit/100_3324.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Lt_bullitt/Spirit/100_3325.jpg

blk86trbo
12-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey man that looks nice, good job!

Vigo
12-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Lookin good man! Im tearing into my 89 spirit this saturday. Again. Only had the 2.5 running for 10 miles before i decided to swap to a 2.2:confused2::confused:

Anywho, did you keep the cat and the bend in front of the fuel tank too, or did those get replaced?

turbokid
12-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Very cool.
we need a vid of how this sounds :thumb:

PBODY
12-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Lookin good man! Im tearing into my 89 spirit this saturday. Again. Only had the 2.5 running for 10 miles before i decided to swap to a 2.2:confused2::confused:

Anywho, did you keep the cat and the bend in front of the fuel tank too, or did those get replaced?

The cat is there.....in appearance only ;) It's all the stock exhaust (cat & resonator) until just before the LR wheel. Then it is my custom 2.5" over the axle back.

Very cool.
we need a vid of how this sounds :thumb:

It honestly sounds almost stock. Maybe a little louder but not much.

PBODY
01-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Update with sad news.

My Spirit L/E has been idling a little rough lately so I started looking into it.

Plugs look great nice and tan. All cylinders are firing. Compression check from 1-4....

120-75-125-125

#2 has low compression. Brought it up to TDC and blew about 20 psi of compressed air into the cylinder. I think I feel air coming out the muffler. There is some coming out the valve cover, but when I had the engine apart, all the cylinders still had cross hatch in them and looked good. The engine has always made excellent vacuum especially on de-acceleration. I squirted oil in the cylinder and tried again but still 75 psi. I think the cylinder is good.

I bought the car with a blown head gasket on #1 to the coolant passage. I'm thinking I might have a cracked head or a bad exhaust valve. I'm crossing my fingers that maybe it is just a collapsed or broken valve spring.

But if something goes wrong, it's a perfect time to upgrade right?

Hmmm back cut valve, ported exhaust mani.......

WickedShelby88
01-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Sounds like an issue in the head more likely than not.

Vigo
01-18-2010, 04:27 PM
But if something goes wrong, it's a perfect time to upgrade right?

Absolutely!! My 89 spirit 2.5 had a bit of a knocking noise when i got it running again recently, and that was all the motivation i needed to 2.2 T2 / 5spd swap it! It should run by next weekend!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43833&page=2

mr glenn
01-18-2010, 04:38 PM
I have the exact color and car mine is a 90 I like the way you do all of your mods would like to see some of those mods on mine I got mine a year ago and fell in love with it my first TD I am slowly working on mine just learning and reading as I go. it sounds like a burnt or warped exhaust valve. I am having a cal done and waiting to install my 3inch exhaust but taking my time don't want to hurt the motor keep me posted on your progress. I dream of putting a Garrett on mine

Vigo
01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Dont dream it, do it! There has been a lot of talk back and forth but in my opinion there's no comparison.. the stock garrett has felt better than the mitsu in every case ive done.

I even went from a mitsu, to a garrett, back to a mitsu, and it killed the car to go back to it. Even going from a non-intercooled garrett to an intercooled mitsu still felt like crap.

If you can turn some wrenches and have a second car to drive while you mess with the spirit, dont be afraid to dive in! There's plenty of tech support on this board to get you through it all (myself included).

PBODY
02-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Update again. Apparently the threat of fixing my Spirit has caused it to fix itself. I bought another swirl head, new stock valve springs (couldn't afford connicals), another MP HG, and PT lifters and shims.
Out of the blue, it started running decent. A compression test on #2 yesterday confirmed it. I now have over 100 psi on #2. WTF? It must be something in the valve train. Maybe a piece of carbon stuck on the exhaust valve or a weak valve spring or colapsed lifter.

As soon as I have time, I want to install all my new valve train parts on my current head (while it's in the car) and see what happens.

blk86trbo
02-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Update again. Apparently the threat of fixing my Spirit has caused it to fix itself. I bought another swirl head, new stock valve springs (couldn't afford connicals), another MP HG, and PT lifters and shims.
Out of the blue, it started running decent. A compression test on #2 yesterday confirmed it. I now have over 100 psi on #2. WTF? It must be something in the valve train. Maybe a piece of carbon stuck on the exhaust valve or a weak valve spring or colapsed lifter.

As soon as I have time, I want to install all my new valve train parts on my current head (while it's in the car) and see what happens.

Maybe one of the valves in that chamber has a loose valve seat?

PBODY
02-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Maybe one of the valves in that chamber has a loose valve seat?

Maybe. Not sure. Wouldn't the valve train be a lot noisier and possibly spit out a follower?

ajakeski
02-15-2010, 03:34 PM
That's life with a Chrysler. You never know when they are going to work or fall apart.

I would place my bets on the lifter.

Vigo
02-16-2010, 01:00 AM
I dont think a bad lifter could cause low compression.. it would have to hold the valve open, and id think a failing lifter would not open it ENOUGH. I could be wrong on how they fail, though.

Im thinking youve got a bad valve/seat seal and as the valve gradually spins, it gets better or worse. Also could be completely wrong :p

PBODY
03-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Ok still haven't looked into my low compression issue. At times it gets worse, then sometimes it's not so bad.

Now I have a different problem. Loss of oil pressure when hot. I noticed with the warmer weather, the oil light was flickering on when hot and idling in gear. The gauge was a little down, but still reading. At times the gauge would just quite reading all together. In park, the light would go out. I put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it last night and this morning I had 60 psi cold. On the way to work it started to drop when it warmed up. By the time I came to work, it was idiling hot at 8 psi. A little RPM and it shoots up to 20 psi.

Any ideas what could be happening here? When I had the motor out, #1 rod bearing looked good. Possible bad oil pump?

85boostbox
03-21-2010, 08:13 PM
you could have excessice clearance in the bearings.

PBODY
03-24-2010, 09:14 AM
After some discussion and thinking I decided to try just changing the oil and going from 5w30 to 10w40 and added a pint of Lucas oil stabalizer. So far so good. I had 15 psi at idle in gear hot when I got to work this morning. 40 psi seems to be the normal at crusing speeds. The motor is a lot quieter now and my partial miss fire at idle is not there.

85boostbox
03-24-2010, 08:37 PM
then you most likely have excesive clearance in the main bearings and a rebuild for you is not far away so prep for it.

Vigo
08-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Any news on this bad boy? Im hankering for more Dodge Spirit action on T-m.. we're under-represented!

PBODY
08-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Not much news. Have not driven it much. I drive my 2001 Bullitt Mustang GT during the summer.

I did get hit in the rear with it last week. Idiot with no insurance said his brakes failed. He hit me at about 10 MPH which felt like 30 MPH. Didn't really do much damage. The inner steel bumper is bent and it collapsed the mount on the passenger side. From the outside you can't really tell.

Vigo
08-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Well, sounds like an easy fix and an easy check if you have uninsured motorist coverage.

Well, keep us informed, it struck me the other day that there's hardly any Spirit content on this forum that isn't R/T related, and those arent really as interesting to me because they usually end up having much less done to them because they start with much more.

PBODY
12-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Time for an update. With it officially no longer "Mustang" weather, I started driving the L/E. Found out quickly that the heater is less than steller. Especially when it is below 30 degrees F outside. I had already installed a new 195 T-stat and all the air doors were working. I figured it was the heater core being partially plugged internally. I decided a flush was in order.

Flushing the heater core is no easy feat in this car. The hoses end up going to the heater control valve under the battery tray. I started to remove the hoses from the control valve and ended up breaking the valve. Considering the parts store I work at didn't have any at there warehouses, I just by passed it. I did this after flushing the heater core. Not much stuff came out and it only took 2 times back and forth to get clean water through it. Fresh coolant and purging the air out of it twice is all it took. It throws great heat now.

Also, I was able to score some 16" Neon SXT laced wheels for her. The tires are a little small at 195-50-16's, but have a good amount of tread on them. We will see how bad they look come spring time. Might have to lower the suspension.

Vigo
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Yeh, flushing the heater core and having that valve break are things that happen to 90+% of all these k-cars in my experience. I hate that valve with a passion so i always bypass it and remove it.

mr glenn
02-12-2011, 06:08 AM
I always flush from the water pump small hose and the thermostat small hose works every time

PBODY
06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Update time. SDAC-21 is practically in my back yard this year. Time to upgrade the Spirit with all the parts I have collected over the years.
Mods:
Spirit ES front bumper (mine was damaged) $0.00
WRX intercooler $40
Misc. intercooler piping $0.00
2.75" Silicone hose coupler $12
1st Gen DSM BOV with pipe and hose $35
TII air box $0.00
MP PT lifters $can't remember
Lifter shims $0.00 (samples)
Home made boost controller $0.00
15 x 6.5" Crab wheels $60
(2) 195-60-15 tires $20

Vigo
06-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Awesome. Make sure and take pics of the WRX ic install. It's a funky setup so id like to see how you make it work.

PBODY
06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Got the valve body modified for the shift kit. Blocked the accumalator. Shifts firm, but I get a flare on the 2-3. Need to re-check the band and also the kick down cable.

BOV is loud. Have not increased the boost from 9 psi yet. Still need to hook up the EGT sensor to the gauge and wire up the Dawes.

PBODY
07-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Some more update and an SDAC story.

After wiring all my gauges I found my used Autometer EGT gauge doesn't work. :(
All other gauges were working.

Drove the car to the SDAC car show in Fox Lake IL to sell at the swap. Had a good time checking out the cars and meeting a couple people.

Tuesday, I went to Great Lakes Dragaway to race the Spirit, but since the SDAC drags were in the morning, and I had to work, everyone was on their trailers by the time I got there at 5.

I went to tech the car in, got the number on the window and went to move the car to find I had a no crank, no click, no start condition. HUH?

I had never had a problem with the car before and couldn't understand what the problem was.

Luckily Benji Farr (bfarroo) was still there and offered to help. After checking power out of the ingition switch, we jacked up the car to check the starter and that is when I found my neutral safety switch connector hanging there. Plugged that back in and was ready to go.

Running about 11 psi of boost on a home made McGyver boost controller (pen spring, machine screw and a brass tee), I was able to nail down a 15.21 @ 90 MPH. I still had plenty of fuel and tried to up the boost, but it was a no go. My MBC was acting up and I was down to 9-10 psi. By the end of the evening, I had unjammed the spring, but had it turned up too much and was overboosting. I made a 1/2 throttle 14 psi pass to the tune of 15.6. If I could have got 14 psi at WOT, it probably would have broke into a high 14. But that was all I needed to know. After all it is just my winter beater.

I'll post pics soon.

ajakeski
07-01-2011, 03:11 PM
It's the Broadway Bob curse. The only luck I've ever had out there is bad and Tuesday was no exception.
Before we could get the tent staked down the wind picked it up and dropped it on both the GLH and GLHS.
The GLHS buffed out but the GLH needs some body work.
I can only imagine what would have happened if I ran a car down the track out there.
FTP. Never again. I mean it this time.

PBODY
07-01-2011, 04:11 PM
It's the Broadway Bob curse. The only luck I've ever had out there is bad and Tuesday was no exception.
Before we could get the tent staked down the wind picked it up and dropped it on both the GLH and GLHS.
The GLHS buffed out but the GLH needs some body work.
I can only imagine what would have happened if I ran a car down the track out there.
FTP. Never again. I mean it this time.

Dude that sucks! At least you know of a good body man.

I thought it was the SDAC curse?

Vigo
07-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Nice times. When i ran my stockish t2/5spd 2.2 spirit on 11psi (stock t2 boost), it trapped 86 mph (stock t2 trap) and didnt even break into the 15s (that part was my fault).

2.5 torque ftw. My 2.2 has gone downhill fast with massive massive blowby now, so im going back to 2.5 when i get around to it. The 2.2 was sort of interesting, but the lack of torque took a lot of the fun out of it.