PDA

View Full Version : Not Good...HELP!

turbomopar87
05-08-2006, 06:27 PM
just when i think the car is running great again...BAM! big problem.

took my car over to my buddy's to take him for a ride. After making some good 23psi runs around town, we stoped at his nieghbors, our other friend, and i did the normal cool down, sat there for a while and talked cars, then i got in and started it up, everythings fine. He says, "Burnout on the way out" (i had been bragging i got 236hp & 272lb/ft at the dyno saturday), so i figured i had to show it off. Dropped out the clutch in first with RPMs around 3k and stomped it, but the kid in the car was like "wait, hold on", so i threw back in the clutch quick, maybe a 3 second burnout is all that happend.

(Go to the last 2 paragraphs if you dont wanna read details)

Well the car stalled right out after putting hte clutch in. kinda weird, but whatever. Went to dtart. Nothing. Just cranking over like it wasn't getting feul or spark or something. Waited a minute, tried again...BAD noise. Now i turn the key and the motor doesnt even turn over! I can here the starter hit the fly, and it wont turn it. WTF?!?! I get under the hood, and happen to have the key on. Smell some feul and it sounds like something is leaking. Chech the injectors, they are all in all the way. I cant figure it out. We push it about 20 feet to the hill that goes to my buddy house. Decide to try and pop-start it on the hill. Get rolling, up to about 25 and let it out in 4th. DEAD STOP, then a slight roll, and STOP. WTF again?!?!? Try it again, this time its in 5th geart SAME THING...stopped dead in the tracks. So i put it on the side of the road in front of his house. Call up my local garage, they say i gotta get that motor to turn to know what it could be. So i try turning with a wrench from the crankshaft sprocket. Wont budge. Pull out the plugs, and WAH LAH!! FUEL COMES FLOWING OUT OF CLYINDER #3!!!!!! What the hell?!?! So i pull out plug from Cly 2...CERAMIC MISSING ABOUT 1/4" down the electrode!!! (but the metal prongs are not bent of anything) This is F****d up i am thinking. I try turning the motot over again my hand...NOTHING even with the plugs out! Now i KNOW i am F****D!!! I call Cindy@ FWD, since she built the shortblock. She says i gotta start taking things apart to really know whats wrong.

So guys, tell me, what do you think? Cly. #3 FLOODED WITH FUEL, Cly #2 has a real messed up plug, and the motor WONT BUDGE.

can it just be seized up?
did i break a piston or snap a rod?

Now, the car ran just fine, went to do a burnout, and the car stalls after the tires break free for a couple seconds. Then it cranks over just fine. Then the key is left on, and somehow fuel is just flowing into the clyinder. Now, i try and turn it over, and BAM, the crap-load of fuel wont let the piston up and "hydrolocks" the block. BUT. why cant i turn the motor over by hand when the plugs are out? AND WHY did it stall out in the first place?

So is it Blown or just seized and can be freed up?
If its blown, I HAVE HAD IT WITH THIS CAR, and theres gonna be a LOOOOONG list of GOOOOOD upgrade parts for sale!!

BTW, its an 87 shelby Z 2.2 TII.

Is it bad for me to leave a cylinder full of fuel for the night before i get it towed home?

87glhs232
05-08-2006, 07:32 PM
I don't think I'd be worried about the cylinder full of fuel at this point. Have you pulled the flywheel cover to see what it looks like back there?
I don't know if a cylinder full of fuel is gonna hydrolock like water would. But you obvoiusly broke something. Did the kid hear something and thats why he said 'wait, hold on'?
What was the bad noise like?

turbomopar87
05-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I don't think I'd be worried about the cylinder full of fuel at this point. Have you pulled the flywheel cover to see what it looks like back there?
I don't know if a cylinder full of fuel is gonna hydrolock like water would. But you obvoiusly broke something. Did the kid hear something and thats why he said 'wait, hold on'?
What was the bad noise like?

No, the kid said wait b/c there was a car coming up the road toward us, and he just didnt want someone from his neighborhood complaining.

the bad noise happened after i had the car sittig there listening to what was leaking(fuel?) It was like a "clank" dont really remember exactly and it hard to explain. When i turn they key now, i can hear the starter hit the fly trying to turn it, but it just wont go. It was like the motor was about to turn over, but then all the sudden got stopped sudenly(b/c there was a clyinder full of gas)

Do you think i could have broken/cracked the flywheel? That was my first thought when everything happened.

But if thats it, why did the car stall out when i did a burnout? Is the fuel leaking in there just a coincidence? What about the broken plug?

I am way to confused, i need to get the car here asap.

And when you say i have obvioulsy broke something, what do you think i broke?

The S is Silent
05-08-2006, 07:47 PM
We can speculate all day. I say get to the car with some tools and start taking it apart. I think you're problem will become pretty apparent as soon as you pull the head and the oil pan.

87glhs232
05-08-2006, 08:03 PM
We can speculate all day. I say get to the car with some tools and start taking it apart. I think you're problem will become pretty apparent as soon as you pull the head and the oil pan.
+1
Anything could have broke. Let us know what you find.

89ShelbyGuy
05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Ouch!!! Sorry to hear about that problems....just as you get it running good too :( Let us know hwat happens!)

Tom

forcedfedmopar
05-08-2006, 11:11 PM
i dont want to be a smart --- but did you leave it in gear at all when trying to turn it over by hand? i know a stupid question but it could happen to any of us. just a thought

good luck
jeff

Ground Rat
05-09-2006, 02:08 AM
I'd drop the oil pan to see what's up. Could be a bent rod(s). Sorry to hear it man; I had a motor that hydrolocked on me and it bent a rod bad enough that the motor was seized. :(

turbomopar87
05-09-2006, 07:28 AM
i dont want to be a smart --- but did you leave it in gear at all when trying to turn it over by hand? i know a stupid question but it could happen to any of us. just a thought

good luck
jeff

nope

Well i shoudl be able to get the car back to my house tonite, but its my sister b-day so we are going to dinner. Looks like wed morning i will be tearing into it to ind out whats wrong.

As of the point i am at right now...there are ALOT of GOOD parts on this car...i put over 4k into the motor/tranny last year, theres under 5,000 miles on it. Plus, i have a brand new set of konis and eibachs i never even got to intsall.

Looks like someone might be getting a steal on this car.

89ShelbyGuy
05-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Man...don't give up! I know how it feels! I rebuilt my 89 shelby...then boom, i spin a bearing not even 100 miles on her....i was VERY..VERY close to sell her....then i said, f it....found a used built 2.5 motor...put a new clutch...new..alotta things...it was down the entire winter...but now, its spring...and almost summer and she's running awesome...and i couldn't be any happier that i kept the car! :) I am just a little in debt now...but i am happy! MUHAAA

Tom

turbomopar87
05-10-2006, 11:10 AM
i know it, it sucks to give up now, but it sucks to dump more money into it. I have been thinking about getting what i can for parts, saving the shell and doing the body work i tneeds whie the parts are out, then in the future do a new motor.

I have an 86 C/S i bought and havn't touched yet. I wannaa bring that back to looking brand new again. I wont be out all together!

turbomopar87
05-19-2006, 06:49 PM
UPDATED:

So, my problems were not all that bad. The piece of ceramic that broke off the spark plug put some divits in the top of my piston and the bottom of the head, about 20 chips i'd say. Thats the worst though.

I took the whole motor apart, and as i tried to take off the starter, it didnt wanna come off. It took a flat head screw driver wedged between it and the tranny and some leverage to pop it away.

Soon i was down to just the bottom end and tranny in the car. The pulleys were off, etc.

I decide to try and trun the motor over by hand, and WAHLAH! what'd ya know, free as a bird! No scaring on the cyl. walls or anything. I watched the flywheel go around, and there was my prblem...1 tooth completly gone, and the next tooth broke in half. Somehting caused them to break and jammed up the starter, thats all.

So now all i need is 1 pistion, no bent rods or anything.

So now i *might* use this in my 86 CS build, but i think i would rather sell it.
Anyone interested in a 2.2 .30 over, forged venolias, TII rods and cranks, melling high volume oil pump...the works. It was built by the wonderful Cindy at FWD-P last year, and only has 4,000 miles. Looking to get $950 as is, or $1100 with a new piston installed. The block will run just fine as is, just the piston is dinged up on top.

turbo xtc
06-05-2006, 11:15 PM
hey great news i think (it ain't dead unless it's buried)!