PDA

View Full Version : oil squirters on early 2.4 blocks

Austrian Dodge
08-23-2009, 08:51 AM
someone on neons.org has already done this, so i figured i can do that too. in fact it only took a little over an hour to do this.

i have access to a big cnc mill, lathe, and other lots of great tools...yeah i know i'm a lucky bastard (d*mn i need to learn how to TIG weld :) ).
so i spend my saturdays in this shop working on the 2.4 when time allows.

anyways, even without those pads on the later blocks, it's a pretty easy job. mill a little bit down, drill holes in the right spot and you're done.
i wanted to stay with factory parts so i purchased some srt squirters and bolts (could have used bmw spray jets for the same $ but it already works on the srt - you can't go wrong).

couldn't find a way to install some on my 8v block, but i really wanted these on the 2.4 build as i find them really help full. also every other proper built turbo cars have them from the factory (cosworths, audi 5cyl turbo's, ...).

the first pic is the factory srt4 squirters, then you can see mine.
i have more pics from the whole machining process, but i have problems uploading new pics to my gallery...

EDIT: admins please move this to the 2.4 section, thanks

BadAssPerformance
09-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Moved :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Very cool, :p

Why did you want to add some to the 8 valve, they already have them from the factory, :confused:

Austrian Dodge
09-15-2009, 02:51 AM
when using T-II rods there's something like that, correct...but i was using h-beam rods

DocFish
09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I did that to 1 of my 8v motors. Still melted the pistons though.

Pat
09-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Is there any difference to the oil galley, pump or block casting between an na block and an SRT block? I'm asking to make sure that the main/rod bearings still get enough oil supply/pressure with the squirters bleeding off volume/pressure from that main galley.

turboshad
09-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I gonna take a wild stab and say the galleys are the same but the pumps are different. This may be the reason for the higher flowing pump on the turbo engines. I know on my 2.4NA block with the SRT4 pump and no squirters the pressure is much higher than my 8V. I have a hot idle around 30psi and cruise in the 50-60 range at 2300-2500RPM.

Austrian Dodge
09-15-2009, 02:08 PM
i remember reading an article that the oil squirters are the main reason why the srt pump flows more than an N/A pump

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2009, 02:30 PM
when using T-II rods there's something like that, correct...but i was using h-beam rods

That makes sense, ;)

i remember reading an article that the oil squirters are the main reason why the srt pump flows more than an N/A pump

From what I've read, correct. Its like the 6.5 GM Diesels, they added squirters and the oil pump increased in size, aprox 1/4.

Pat
09-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Makes sense to me.

ShelGame
09-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Wait, did you do this to a 2.4 or an 8V block? If it's a 2.4, could it be done the same way to a CB I wonder?

Austrian Dodge
09-15-2009, 06:04 PM
i did it to an early 2.4 block

as i said, i wanted to do it like that on my old 8v common block, but wasn't sure with the oil galley at that time.
good thing is, i still have 2 common blocks and may be able to inspect one and test on it... as i don't have use for them anyways. although it might take a while... :)