PDA

View Full Version : Big Brake Kit.

turboking
05-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Just installed my new big brake kit(2 piece rotors and 4 piston calipers. All bought from e-bay, and a ton of machining at the shop) on my shelby lancer. while i was bleeding the brakes, my master took a dump. On the master it is written 7/8 (shelby lancer). What application and what size master am i looking for?

Carl

2.216VTurbo
05-08-2006, 11:02 AM
That 7/8 marking indicates a 21mm master, now is the perfect time for an upgrade to the 24mm unit. At the parts store spec out a 90-93 LeBarron with four wheel disc brakes. Anything might come in the box though so make sure it has a 4 where you old one says 7/8. The ones that say 1 there are same as you 7/8 so watch out for those.

I am hoping your luck is different Carl, but I had nothing but clunking noise and chatter with my two piece rotors:( Then the 'buttons' that held the hat to the rotors began to loosen up:mad: Now that was an ugly noise!

turboking
05-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Then the 'buttons' that held the hat to the rotors began to loosen up Now that was an ugly noise!

"Wow" After reading that i am going to put locking washers and nuts on the bolts( i was just going to screw the rotors to the hat)

Carl

Garret
05-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Safety wire the bolts no excuse not too

2.216VTurbo
05-09-2006, 01:35 AM
From what I understand the rotor and the hat will expand at different rates which is why there is a need for a 'button' type system. Mounted with screws or bolts and no play for thermal expansion might be a bad deal when the rotor gets hot... All the modern sportbikes have to piece rotors and some sort of system that allows for play between the two pieces.

csracer
05-09-2006, 02:39 PM
what kind of rotors and calipers were in this kit? what size rotors? did it have adapters?