PDA

View Full Version : A523 Shifting issue

Skibbe
05-08-2006, 08:54 AM
I seem to have a shifter cable problem, and may have located it... but need a second opinion.

2nd and 4th gear don't engage properly. I know these are pushing on the front-back selector cable. I can get it into gear for 2nd or 4th, but then there is a lot of extra movement available to keep pulling on the shifter after the gear is engaged. Besides that, front/back is very mushy.

I noticed that the transmission side of that cable seems might be broken. The cable inside is fine, but there are two parts of the sheave near the end. The first is the main sheave running the length of the cable up to the soft metal crimped 'bushing' that catches in the trans cable mount. Then from there to the end of the cable, there is another sheave that looks like it should also be attached to the metal bushing and crimped in place, but it has come out. It's not as simple as pushing it back into the metal bushing though, as it doesn't catch on anything.

So, I picked up another set of cables thinking I'd just replace the cable. The other used set has a loose end sheave as well... Are they both bad? Or am I way off base and something else is causing the mushy shifting?

MiniMopar
05-09-2006, 08:20 PM
I think I understand what you are talking about. You are referring to the tube between the bracket mount and the end of the cable rod, yes? That part is supposed to swivel...it is mounted to a sort of a ball joint. I'm not quite sure what would happen if it came off the ball. If it is a solid rod under there, then it shouldn't make any difference. If it's cable, then I can see how it might pop off to the side.

I would have someone pull back on the shifter while you watch the cable. More often the bushings are shot or the cable mount itself is broken or is missing the clip.

Skibbe
05-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Yeah, you figured out which part. I should take a picture tonight to show it a little more clearly... or just bring one to Dave's this weekend to see what the general concensus is. The bellows has a short section of sheave on it that fits inside the bushing at the cable mount on the trans. It has popped out of the bushing. It is just cable there, so it bows out when pushing into 2nd and 4th.

It doesn't look like anything broke, but I haven't been able to push that sheave back in far enough to get it to catch in the bushing again. It looks like it should just snap in there.

Mount is fine, clip is in, and bushings are poly.

MiniMopar
05-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Maybe some JB-weld action?

Skibbe
05-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah! And I can hold it in place with duct tape and zip ties while it dries!

MiniMopar
05-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Sounds like a plan.

Skibbe
05-10-2006, 10:26 PM
http://cgwrr.com/Mopar/cable.jpg

Shiny part is the cable...

MiniMopar
05-10-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm trackin'. I was looking at one my my cables. The only thing that really pulls on that bit, besides whatever friction from the cable, is the rubber boot. It is air tight, so when you extend the cable, the ribs actually get sucked in. I can see how this probably yanks on that piece too.

Seriously, it's not under that much strain from what I can tell. You can probably try some sort of expoxy and maybe zip-tie around the little rubber bit that is at the base. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else to do to save it.

Skibbe
05-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Since I have two like this, I can play around a bit. I may try to rig something up in a bench vise to push it back into place. Failing that, epoxy it is. Thanks Russ.

I'd like to know how these cables were originally assembled.

GLHNSLHT2
05-14-2006, 12:28 PM
looks like the bushing is wasted in the end.