PDA

View Full Version : stand alone sys

butchsuppe
05-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Do these stand alone systems eliminate the factory computer or work in conjunction with it ? Can you still use a grainger ? Does it eliminate the need for a custom cal ? From what I,ve read the SDS is best for a beginner, any idea how much it cost ? Thanks

mcsvt
05-08-2006, 09:47 AM
The standalone eliminates the stock computer. Basically it becomes the computer. Not sure on cost, but the SDS does look like a great option. If it is good enough for a low 8 second car it's good enough for me :)

butchsuppe
05-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info, now for the next question, does the sys work with the factory sensors or does it require new sensors such as TPS, MAP etc etc ? Thanks Butch

The S is Silent
05-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the info, now for the next question, does the sys work with the factory sensors or does it require new sensors such as TPS, MAP etc etc ? Thanks Butch

The SDS comes with EVERYTHING. It comes with all the sensors you need, as well as a harness. From what I have seen, it's a plug and play type of thing, and it takes control of the engine away from the stock computer completely.

I think it looks pretty awesome, and I'll probably end up getting one when I get the charger sorted out on stock electronics.

cordes
05-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Just a thought, but why not try your own custom cals rather than jumping straight into the stand alones? There is a lot of support out there, and it is only growing due to the # of guys starting to do their own cals. Check out www.moparchem.com if you have a Lm, or d-cal on yahoo groups.

This way, you can always have TU do a cal at one of their dyno days when they come to your town if you would like.

Either way you go, the stock electronics can do a lot for next to nithing cost wise.

my .02.

mcsvt
05-08-2006, 12:59 PM
That I am not sure of. I only personally know one person running SDS on a street car, but haven't seen it in person. I believe it will work with some of your stock sensors, but may want to check the website. http://sdsefi.com/ Looks like some sensors are included in the package.

Stephane is running SDS, that is the only system I have seen in person.

The S is Silent
05-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Just a thought, but why not try your own custom cals rather than jumping straight into the stand alones? There is a lot of support out there, and it is only growing due to the # of guys starting to do their own cals. Check out www.moparchem.com if you have a Lm, or d-cal on yahoo groups.

This way, you can always have TU do a cal at one of their dyno days when they come to your town if you would like.

Either way you go, the stock electronics can do a lot for next to nithing cost wise.

my .02.

The way I understand it from Ray explaining it to me, the d-cal is limited by the fact that some of the tables are still linked. If you change one thing, it changes other values as well, so the values aren't truly independent.

I havn't played with d-cal yet, so I don't know. I may try it out before I move to the SDS. I havn't thrown out the idea yet, but the SDS just sounds like it has much greater potential.

cordes
05-08-2006, 01:13 PM
The way I understand it from Ray explaining it to me, the d-cal is limited by the fact that some of the tables are still linked. If you change one thing, it changes other values as well, so the values aren't truly independent.

I havn't played with d-cal yet, so I don't know. I may try it out before I move to the SDS. I havn't thrown out the idea yet, but the SDS just sounds like it has much greater potential.

Sure, but in most of the really goos disassemblies out there the tables are identified really well, and it usually states if it is a final mulitplier of other tables. I am really most familiar with the 87' electronics thus far, but I am doing quite well for about 1/10th the cost of the least expensive stand alone sys.

I realize that the good stand alones will probably do more than our electroincs in a more efficent way, but you sure to pay for it.

The S is Silent
05-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Can you burn the new cal into the chip with it still in the car, or do you need a chip burner? Remove the SMEC, remove the chip, burn the chip, and then re-instal?

I'll have to check out moparchem when I get some time. Although if I get a great deal on an SDS, I'm going to grab it.

cordes
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Can you burn the new cal into the chip with it still in the car, or do you need a chip burner? Remove the SMEC, remove the chip, burn the chip, and then re-instal?

I'll have to check out moparchem when I get some time. Although if I get a great deal on an SDS, I'm going to grab it.

I know that the LM can be made flashable with chem, and the SMEC can be made flashable with d-cal. Not 100% sure about the SBEC though.

GLHS592
05-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Go to http://www.sdsefi.com/specific.html. All the specs and pricing for the EM-4F system are there. There is tons of great information on their website. I wish I'd have gone the SDS route first. It costs more but is so versatile and saves headaches. You can program it to work with any modification you make to your car. Also, you don't have to let your car sit around unusable for a month while you wait on some guy, 1000 miles away, to reprogram your ecu in his spare time.

Ground Rat
05-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Go to http://www.sdsefi.com/specific.html. All the specs and pricing for the EM-4F system are there. There is tons of great information on their website. I wish I'd have gone the SDS route first. It costs more but is so versatile and saves headaches. You can program it to work with any modification you make to your car. Also, you don't have to let your car sit around unusable for a month while you wait on some guy, 1000 miles away, to reprogram your ecu in his spare time.

How hard is it to tune though?

GLHS592
05-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Not hard at all. If you have a wideband setup, it will be real easy.