PDA

View Full Version : Black86glhs's black 86 GLHS

Pages : [1] 2

black86glhs
08-21-2009, 03:47 AM
I'll start this with finding out the pistons from my other engine fit my 86 block better than the 89 one. +1000 for saving $450!!
The block is ready, but I need to take the crank and rods up and have them turned and resized. The cylinder head is done. Ported with new stock springs and stock valves. The exhaust manifold has been ported along with the intake. Even with the bumps still partially there, it is considerably bigger inside.
I'm looking at what wire I need for the engine harness. Going to make one from scratch using an extra bulkhead connector. Looks like I'm going to go with relays for the headlights to take some of the load off the switch and make them brighter. Probably going to go with a painless switch kit, mainly because I need a connector for the wiring.
Need to get together with Brian T and get the floor pan and headlight bezels from him. Later I'll get a grill and paint it black. Probably have to do that to the bezels anyhow.
Thats all for now. We will see how it goes over the next month considering I'm back in school for the fall.

black86glhs
08-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Got the comp housing hogged out the way I wanted. Don't know if it will make that big of a deal, but what the heck. Got the turbo put back together. Cleaned it up and inspected it. Now I have to remember where to set the housing at so it fits on the car correctly.
Ordered some parts from TU.:thumb: As soon as they show up, the bottom end will get measured for clearances. I'm not doing this again....LOL.
Swapped over the exhaust mani studs earlier.
I'll get some pics tomorrow. Going to the Browns preseason game tonight. :thumb:

black86glhs
09-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Here are the pics. Hey, took less than 2 weeks to finally get them posted. I'm getting faster.;)
The parts are in to start rebuilding, but I still need to take the crank and rods to the machine shop. Wish the money tree out back would start to produce again.:(

turbokid
09-09-2009, 09:18 PM
^ohhh Community money tree!
Nice project.
How about pics of the car :thumb:

black86glhs
09-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Sure, here are some old ones.

black86glhs
09-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Decided to measure the big end on the connecting rods last night. Think being .002" out of round might be an issue!!!????:confused::(
I was going to have them resized anyway, so no harm in finding this out. They were supposed to be good rods when I got them. Oh well.

black86glhs
12-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Let's pick up where I left off. The block has been sitting on the engine stand waiting. I picked up some rods a couple weeks ago(958s) and they showed up today. I'm hoping to get the rotating assembly together this weekend. Not in a major hurry, as I'm out of school for the next month. I can work on it then.

black86glhs
01-23-2010, 06:40 AM
I finally got the head ported the way I like and bolted it to the block a little while ago. I've been busy with so much other stuff, I haven't had a chance to do anything. Made the time tonight.:thumb:
After I get the valve cover redone, it goes back on. Hopefully soon.

GLHNSLHT2
01-23-2010, 10:18 AM
you're gonna love relayed headlights. Gonna get some Hella H4 Ecode housings too?

black86glhs
01-24-2010, 06:19 PM
you're gonna love relayed headlights. Gonna get some Hella H4 Ecode housings too?I'm not sure yet. At the minimum I will do the relay setup. I know the upgraded housings make it much better, but I have so much going on. Hard to make decisions on where to spend the $$$.:(

cordes
01-24-2010, 06:47 PM
I like what you did with the turbo. I had thought about doing that, but never have. I have since read that it can be a decent thing to do.

black86glhs
01-24-2010, 08:42 PM
I like what you did with the turbo. I had thought about doing that, but never have. I have since read that it can be a decent thing to do.Thanks Brian. I was talking to people on here about the housing and got the idea from them. I need to get the VC redone and it will be ready to go on. Not to mention finding some of the odds and ends that always get misplaced, no mateer how hard I try to keep that from happening...LOL.

black86glhs
01-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Here are a few pics of the engine on the stand.

turbokid
01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Thats looking really good! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the car move under its own power.

black86glhs
02-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Using the standard VC for right now. I'll get the shelby one redone and put it on later. Here is the engine almost ready to go in. :D

Marcus86GLHS
02-02-2010, 06:10 AM
looking good Bryan. its a shame that the cramped L-body engine bays dont allow all the nice detail work on the turbo and engine to be easily seen once installed.

trbowgn
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Looks good Bryan, How is the wire harness coming?

black86glhs
02-04-2010, 12:55 AM
With school and family issues(getting sick, hospital visits), I haven't started on the engine harness yet. I know what wire I want to use and its pricey. I'm hoping to start buying the wiring here soon, little at a time.

black86glhs
02-04-2010, 12:56 AM
looking good Bryan. its a shame that the cramped L-body engine bays dont allow all the nice detail work on the turbo and engine to be easily seen once installed.Tell me about it...lol. Fingers crossed it stays running this time...lol.:nod:

black86glhs
02-05-2010, 03:36 AM
Found a few of the items I was looking for at the end of last week. I just need to put the distributor, timing components, and flywheel. Tomorrow I plan to start getting some of the wiring for the harness.

cordes
02-06-2010, 12:52 PM
With school and family issues(getting sick, hospital visits), I haven't started on the engine harness yet. I know what wire I want to use and its pricey. I'm hoping to start buying the wiring here soon, little at a time.

Do you have a link to the place which you are getting the wire from?

black86glhs
02-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Do you have a link to the place which you are getting the wire from?Unless someone has a wire just as good for less, I'm using Painless Wiring 70700 - Painless Performance Extreme Condition Bulk Wire. The under hood temps get high enough that I don't trust just regular bulk wire. Just my view on it.:nod:
I'm not sure where I'm getting it. Summit is close to me, but it is not cheap. Tried looking at other places, but they seem to be about the same. I'll most likely just give in and buy it from them.:(

cordes
02-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Unless someone has a wire just as good for less, I'm using Painless Wiring 70700 - Painless Performance Extreme Condition Bulk Wire. The under hood temps get high enough that I don't trust just regular bulk wire. Just my view on it.:nod:
I'm not sure where I'm getting it. Summit is close to me, but it is not cheap. Tried looking at other places, but they seem to be about the same. I'll most likely just give in and buy it from them.:(

This place has the same wiring for cheaper than summit or Jegs when you factor in the handling fees. You need to place a $100 order though.

http://www.performanceparts4less.com/gdcicat.html?partid=257963

black86glhs
02-06-2010, 08:34 PM
This place has the same wiring for cheaper than summit or Jegs when you factor in the handling fees. You need to place a $100 order though.

http://www.performanceparts4less.com/gdcicat.html?partid=257963Thanks Cordes!!!:clap: Goes to show, you can search online and still not find a good deal. I'll easily spend $100 on the wiring. I'm matching them as close as I can to the original wiring to save headache later on if I need to troubleshoot.:nod:

rx2mazda
02-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Sounds like a royal PITA! but worth it in the end

black86glhs
02-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Sounds like a royal PITA! but worth it in the endI agree!! Like everyone else, I'm tired of finding wiring where the damn insulation has cracked off or is so brittle that when you bend it, it cracks.:mad:

blk86trbo
02-06-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm tired of finding wiring where the damn insulation has cracked off or is so brittle that when you bend it, it cracks.:mad:

In total agreement here too...good luck with your purchase!

turbokid
02-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Lol somebody who would make new replacement wiring would make a fortune

rx2mazda
02-07-2010, 11:45 PM
nobody can make a fortune in this community. lol

black86glhs
02-08-2010, 01:31 PM
nobody can make a fortune in this community. lol:amen: brother!!!! LOL

minigts
02-08-2010, 02:47 PM
nobody can make a fortune in this community. lol

:amen: brother!!!! LOL

Seconding the AMEN! hehe Looks good man, can't wait to see this harness thing done. I'm going to have to check that out and see what all they have.

minigts
02-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Hey go here http://riwire.com/. They have a pretty good selection of wire and the price seems to be pretty good, like .23/ft with a minimum of 10ft per color. not bad in my estimation. I may be reading the pricing chart incorrectly, but that seems to be the cost. Make a list based on their color codes, send it to them and see what the price would be. 10 feet per color is MORE than enough, all you would need is the terminals and you'll be in good shape.

minigts
02-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I also found these guys, but the pricing is kinda high. They actually sent me to someone else who was asking a LOT more than I wanted to pay PER item.

http://www.fmsiinc.com/terminals5.htm

Chrysler 0661 Qty 1 $11.52

Chrysler 0678 Qty 50 $0.67
Chrysler 0717 Qty 25 $0.84
Chrysler 0718 Qty 25 $0.84

Chrysler 0719 Qty 75 $0.84
Chrysler 0721 Qty 50 $0.84
Chrysler 0722 Qty 50 $0.84
Chrysler 0815 Qty 10 $1.25
Chrysler 0817 Qty 10 $1.40
GM 0693 Qty 15 $0.43
GM 0696 Qty 15 $0.67
GM 0680 Qty 15 $0.50

I was emailing a guy from Auto Parts Mart if you want his email. Kinda pricey though. :$

Try this as well.

http://terminalsupplyco.com/products/prod_kits.aspx Look for the Chrysler Terminal Kit on the page. It has most of the ones we would use for the vehicles, more importantly the ones for the SMEC, LMs, O2 and 40 way for the L bodies.

cordes
02-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Jon, you really need to put together a how-to for wiring harnesses. :)

minigts
02-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Jon, you really need to put together a how-to for wiring harnesses. :)

hehe Well I'm not sure where to start. I've only done one but I have another one I want to get finished. If I can find a suitable replacement for a fuse box, THAT I will document. The rest is making sure wires are in tact and figuring out how to route everything. I wish my idea of routing wires through the center of the engine bay would catch on. I can dare to dream.

black86glhs
02-09-2010, 02:56 AM
I Just need to pull the Tensioner from on engine and put it on the new one and it will be timed. Might do that tomorrow morning after dropping my girl off at school. I'll have a couple hours to fool with it before school.

jaysshelby
02-10-2010, 10:32 AM
So are you going to have it running for this Summer?

black86glhs
02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
So are you going to have it running for this Summer?

I can't say Jay. I hope to, but I don't know what other crap I'm going to run into with it. I still have the pass floor to replace.
Let me rephrase that....It will be running, but not sure how drivable it will be.

black86glhs
02-13-2010, 09:46 PM
The ac bracket, distributor and timing belt are all on!!! Yay. I was looking at the possibility of using a modern MAP sensor from a series 2 3.8(nice having extra parts). Just need to pick a spot to put it on the upper plenum.

black86glhs
02-15-2010, 03:29 AM
I went through the wiring diagram manual for the L-body and made a simple word document for the main engine/underhood harness. Some of the wiring gauges were changed to a larger size(headlight sizes for example). Take a look at it and see if you think any other changes are needed. Not sure what colors are available in what sizes, but it is a starting point. :thumb:

Look at post http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=625072&postcount=42 for the updated list.:nod:

cordes
02-15-2010, 06:34 PM
I went through the wiring diagram manual for the L-body and made a simple word document for the main engine/underhood harness. Some of the wiring gauges were changed to a larger size(headlight sizes for example). Take a look at it and see if you think any other changes are needed. Not sure what colors are available in what sizes, but it is a starting point. :thumb:

I haven't checked that against anything. This may be a good thing for the KC perhaps? I would note the changed in gauge on there though. Looks nice so far.

black86glhs
02-16-2010, 03:12 AM
I haven't checked that against anything. This may be a good thing for the KC perhaps? I would note the changed in gauge on there though. Looks nice so far.Thanks for the tips Cordes. I added material to the list to show what the changes were and make it easier to understand.

minigts
02-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey found this other place that sells the connectors. Some are REALLY expensive, some are cheaper. The one place http://terminalsupplyco.com/images/PDFS/Kits/Terminal/Chrysler%20Terminal%20Kit.pdf, has good prices on some of the items and in most cases is better. I'll post up the sheet the woman sent me.

Here's another one.

http://www.crestmidwest.com Search by the CRX14574, not CRX 14574. Just remove the space for any part number you find on that sheet at the bottom, around page 379.

http://www.crestmidwest.com/attachments/file/docs/Catalogs/section13.pdf

black86glhs
02-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks Jon. The harness is on hold until the beginning of march. My wife made me pay bills for some odd reason...lol.

minigts
02-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks Jon. The harness is on hold until the beginning of march. My wife made me pay bills for some odd reason...lol.

Darn women and their womenish ways! I hear ya. I want to get that stuff to have on hand, but can't justify the $100 or so I'll spend for something I don't immediately need. I may buy them in a month or so and finish that one harness I have. Just SO expensive for the blade connectors we need for the 40 way and also for the SMEC pins and LM pins. Sheesh! The ones' I'm using for my custom fuel rail harness are like .18 per. These are about .40 PER! But what can you do?! If I could change over to a different pin type for the logic board I would. :|

black86glhs
02-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Darn women and their womenish ways! I hear ya. I want to get that stuff to have on hand, but can't justify the $100 or so I'll spend for something I don't immediately need. I may buy them in a month or so and finish that one harness I have. Just SO expensive for the blade connectors we need for the 40 way and also for the SMEC pins and LM pins. Sheesh! The ones' I'm using for my custom fuel rail harness are like .18 per. These are about .40 PER! But what can you do?! If I could change over to a different pin type for the logic board I would. :|
I reuse the blade terminals all the time. Sometimes having new ones is nice, though. I have been thinking of finding some harnesses and cutting of the bulk head connector and other blade type connectors so I can have a bunch of extras. I don't just crimp the wires back into the old terminals, I solder them also. The wire alone is going to be expensive enough, I would rather not have to buy the terminals if i can help it. Typical TM owner...lol.

minigts
02-19-2010, 06:54 PM
If you do anything keep the 40 way connector. I'll need a spare soon enough.

black86glhs
02-19-2010, 08:44 PM
If you do anything keep the 40 way connector. I'll need a spare soon enough.Hell, I'll give you the old one when I'm done with it. I'm using another one to make the new harness. But you will have to wait and not be pushy.....LOL.;)

black86glhs
02-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Placed an order with Summit Racing for the wiring today. $284 worth of the high temp Painless wire.
On a side note, I've noticed that they have very little stuff in stock anymore. I sent them an email to hold onto the rest of the order(due in on the 11th) and I'll pick it up. I'm not paying them twice to ship out wire to me. I live 20 min away. So shipping it to me should only cost them $2-$3, not $13. Definitely not paying $26 or $39 for them to ship me wire.:mad:

black86glhs
03-03-2010, 01:56 AM
WOO HOO!!!!
The first group of wire showed up today, 10g red and black. I'm gonna wait until most of the order shows up before I begin making the new harness. Nice and new!:D

black86glhs
03-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Pulled the main engine harness out today. I forgot how much damn wire they put under the hood of this little car!!!
I have an idea of where I am running it. It will be away from the rear of the engine bay, no doubt.

minigts
03-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Pulled the main engine harness out today. I forgot how much damn wire they put under the hood of this little car!!!
I have an idea of where I am running it. It will be away from the rear of the engine bay, no doubt.

Excellent idea! :thumb:

black86glhs
03-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I got a pleasant surprise today. My wire from Painless showed up today!!! All but 2 pieces. Now if I could just find a 2nd gen Neon to rob the PDC from.
Also, my Walbro and bobble strut came from TU. Thanks Chris.

black86glhs
03-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Box of goodies.

black86glhs
03-17-2010, 03:47 PM
I grabbed a PDC out of a neon, another TBI aluminum VC, an already rebuilt starter with heat shield and a bunch of GLHS style injector connectors with terminals. I can make new injector harnesses again now.:thumb:

83Shelby
03-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Akron PP?

black86glhs
03-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah. There is a 520 with a 3.50 final drive in a daytona.

83Shelby
03-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Is that pretty much all they have? I'm going back to Canton Sat to get things of the 83 SC,did you get the seat rails,cause I can get them for ya if not?

black86glhs
03-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Not much turbo wise. Plenty of TBI and 3.0 V6 cars. Only 1 red Daytona and a couple Shadows/Sundances. I didn't get back down there. If you don't mind, I would greatly appreciate you getting the tracks for me. Bring'em to the swap meet.
I know where I'm going to put the PDC. I can cut off the elbow on the to the PM and it will fit nicely between the battery and strut tower. Then it will just be a matter of running the wire.

83Shelby
03-18-2010, 07:33 PM
You got it "yo"!

black86glhs
03-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Really began the wiring harness work. Spent a while working out a few details, but I should have it down now. The PDC is going between the battery and driver's strut tower. I need to make a custom bracket for it. I began soldering the terminals and new wires today. The 10 gauge wire is already in the bulkhead connector I just need to decide which fuses I'm going to use for what. Might have some more crappy cell phone pics later tonight.:thumb:

Here are 2 cell pics. I really need to get the PDC mounted first, then I can start running wire. Might not happen until friday, with school and new appliances coming.

turbokid
03-30-2010, 02:43 AM
Looking good. Man thats one hell of a project.
Wiring... BLEH

black86glhs
04-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Looking good. Man thats one hell of a project.
Wiring... BLEHThanks.
I got the bracket for the PDC finished earlier. I need to paint it, but currently it is in the car with the PDC hanging on it. Also, cut the elbow off the PM. I'll get some pics tomorrow and might have some of the wiring harness done, too.:thumb:

black86glhs
04-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Here are a couple pics of what I have so far.

black86glhs
04-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I have all the 10 ga wires run to the PDC and Maxi fuses set up. Ran the wires for the headlights earlier and finished installing the headlight connectors. Ran the wires to the wipers and was even able to reuse the rubber piece that goes across the firewall to protect the wires. I need to run the headlight grounds, but didn't have the ring terminals to do it earlier. The harnes is running between the battery and PM and up between the core support and coolant overflow. Then, across the core support to just above where the alternator will be. Also ran the dk green wire to the PM and over the where the coil will be, but haven't connected them, yet. Pictures to come....like usual.:thumb:

blk86trbo
04-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Sounds like your engine bay is going to be tidied up nicely :thumb:

black86glhs
04-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Here are some pics from yesterday and today.

black86glhs
04-18-2010, 06:03 PM
I found the other pass side engine mount bracket that I had and installed it. After I button up a few things on the 555 I picked up yesterday, it will be waiting to go on the engine. Might go to the pull-a-part and grab another flywheel and have it resurfaced. Also put on the timing belt cover and started the disassembly both turbos. Swapping my housings to the one from the yard.

black86glhs
04-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Didn't take that long to get the yard turbo apart and only broke one bolt. Swapped the housings from mine to the new one and it is all back together and on the engine. :thumb:

jaysshelby
04-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Didn't take that long to get the yard turbo apart and only broke one bolt. Swapped the housings from mine to the new one and it is all back together and on the engine. :thumb:

so you going to have that heap running and ready to go to SDAC?

black86glhs
04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
so you going to have that heap running and ready to go to SDAC?

I'll let you know at the end of May.;)

black86glhs
04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I did solve the PM connection issue. Found some terminals that will work perfectly. Now I can continue with the wiring harness.:thumb:

black86glhs
05-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Its been a while since I did any work on her. School comes first. Had some free time this afternoon and took it. Removed the PS pump and lines. Ran a few more wires from the bulk head connector. Ran two of the wires to the PM and one around to the LM. Installed one of the new connectors behind the battery and ran 4 wires to it.
Just a little bit ago, I pulled the side plates of the "newsed" 555 so I could reseal them and shim the outer input shaft bearing(steel plate had a slight groove, like they all do). Tomorrow will be the great axle seal and input shaft seal hunt.:thumb:

black86glhs
07-23-2010, 06:30 AM
THe 555 is all ready to go into the car. Shimmed the water pump pulley so it would be better in line with the crank pulley.
Switched to a Nippo alternator and spent a few days figuring out the mounting points and how to adjust belt tension. Will have a few pictures of what I came up with later today. Need to get my other car work done and then jump back into it.
Have a 255 pump to install, kyb's from the 93 lazer to mod, floor pan to cut out, etc.

black86glhs
07-26-2010, 01:18 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=691186#post691186
Here is my thread on the nippo alternator mounting, which is now done except for getting a shorter belt.

black86glhs
08-21-2010, 12:20 AM
The alternator stuff is all good. I got froggy earlier and yanked the old block from the car and started cleaning up the clutch and flywheel. It still looks good and has plenty of life.
I would like to get the clutch and the trans connected this weekend sometime. An even crazier idea would be to have it back in the car.:confused:
You never know.:evil:

jaysshelby
08-21-2010, 07:54 AM
The alternator stuff is all good. I got froggy earlier and yanked the old block from the car and started cleaning up the clutch and flywheel. It still looks good and has plenty of life.
I would like to get the clutch and the trans connected this weekend sometime. An even crazier idea would be to have it back in the car.:confused:
You never know.:evil:

sweet get that thing in there. you need to drive it a few times before summer is over.

black86glhs
08-21-2010, 01:33 PM
sweet get that thing in there. you need to drive it a few times before summer is over.It seems like I work on it more when I'm back in school and that starts on Monday...lol.

jaysshelby
08-21-2010, 07:22 PM
It seems like I work on it more when I'm back in school and that starts on Monday...lol.

or you could get your butt off the computer and get out in that garage and get to work.

black86glhs
08-22-2010, 12:25 AM
or you could get your butt off the computer and get out in that garage and get to work.Done el presidente!!!:thumb:
The flywheel and clutch were put on earlier while it was raining. Afterward, I swapped the rear struts on my Intrigue with the ones from the PAP yard. After that I pulled the engine off the stand and mated the trans to it. Rethreaded one of the starter bolt holes to a larger size and installed it.

jaysshelby
08-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Done el presidente!!!:thumb:
The flywheel and clutch were put on earlier while it was raining. Afterward, I swapped the rear struts on my Intrigue with the ones from the PAP yard. After that I pulled the engine off the stand and mated the trans to it. Rethreaded one of the starter bolt holes to a larger size and installed it.

sweet, now keep it going and get that thing fired up.

blk86trbo
08-22-2010, 04:21 PM
sweet, now keep it going and get that thing fired up.

Amen, we need some vids of it tearing up the streets!

black86glhs
11-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Apparrently, my last post didn't happen.
I have the drivetrain ready to go back in. Still have wiring to finish under the hood. I have been waiting for a good deal on a manual rack and pinion.....and I finally found one. After school is out I'll be doing some work on the old girl.:nod:

black86glhs
11-23-2010, 01:34 PM
HEHE.....couldn't wait. Unbolted the power rack and all the couplers. The tie rods are still bolted, but I wanted to get the coupler out so I can start the mod for it.:D

black86glhs
11-23-2010, 06:20 PM
picked up a flaming river steering joint on my way to school tonight. When I get back home, I want to see if I can use the whole joint or not. The one I got has a 3/4" smooth bore with the 9/16"-26 spline.

Keito
11-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I talked to Brian at the last meeting about steering racks.
He and Larry sent their power racks to Steer and Gear in Columbus
to get rebuilt and they removed the power part of them to make manual racks.
I think I'm going to send a slower ratio rack from a regular Omni to get rebuilt
and make it a manual rack, Larry said its a little hard to back out of parking spaces with the quicker ratio rack.
If I remember right he said it was $250 to rebuild it, that included return
shipping.
Just figured it would be easier than finding a manual rack and coupler.

black86glhs
11-24-2010, 01:03 PM
I talked to Brian at the last meeting about steering racks.
He and Larry sent their power racks to Steer and Gear in Columbus
to get rebuilt and they removed the power part of them to make manual racks.
I think I'm going to send a slower ratio rack from a regular Omni to get rebuilt
and make it a manual rack, Larry said its a little hard to back out of parking spaces with the quicker ratio rack.
If I remember right he said it was $250 to rebuild it, that included return
shipping.
Just figured it would be easier than finding a manual rack and coupler.

I may do that with my old power rack. Right now I am talking with Borgeson about finding a u-joint. If that doesn't work, I have a friend that does CNC work and will talk with him about coming up with something. I will make it work. Though it might kill me in doing so....LOL.:evil:

black86glhs
11-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Talked to Borgeson and they have the 9/16"-17 spline u-joint for the small manual omni rack. I'm gonna be the guinea pig and see what it takes to make the other side of the joint (3/4" dd) fit the stock shaft. I will most likely machine down the stock piece to fit the borgeson unit. It will be here next week so I'll see how it will all work out.
They said it would not be able to be taken apart and used with the stock upper half of the lower u-joint. I'll see if that is true or not. If it is the same size joint as stock, you can order the joint with 2 9/16"-17 ends and have a spare or go in with another person.:D

black86glhs
11-27-2010, 07:26 PM
The old power rack is out and the new manual rack is partially in. Need to figure out how to secure the pass side of the rack. The power rack bracket is muuuuuuuch larger. Also decided to get new outer tie rod ends. Why not. Pulled the axles shafts out of the spindles too. :D

black86glhs
11-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Slid the drivetrain under the omni and set it back down on the ground. So the it is under the hood of the car, but not connected in any way. But, heck....it is out of the garage!!!:thumb:

black86glhs
12-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Ordered new outer tie rod ends a couple days ago from rockauto.com. I just checked the tracking number for them and found it kind of cool that the shipment originated from Whittier, Ca.:thumb: They are for the GLHS, too!!:D

Nice coincidence.

black86glhs
12-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Today was warmer than it had been and the sun was out, so I decided to wrench a little.
Took a piece of 18 ga sheet metal and made a shim for the passenger side rack mount. I took the manual rack bushing that I ordered from Rockauto and trimmed it down to fit inside the power steering bushing. Placed the metal shim between the U-bracket and the power rack bushing. Installed the manual bushing on the rack and then installed the other stuff. After getting the bolts started, i lined it all up and tightened them down. It doesn't move at all. But I will keep and eye on it to make sure all is well.
The engine and trans is sitting on the mounts in the engine bay of the car.....YAY!!! I have to find all of the bolts and place the shims under the pass mount, but it is no longer sitting on the ground.:thumb:

omni_840
12-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Congrats, on getting the engine in the bay! Steps towards completion:amen:

Turbo224
12-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Um, can I suggest you power wash the bay before you get any farther along?

black86glhs
12-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Um, can I suggest you power wash the bay before you get any farther along?

That is actually a roll on under coating, not greasy nastiness.:thumb:

black86glhs
12-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Found the bolts I needed and got the trans, front and pass side engine mounts in and torqued down. Well all but the long bolt that goes thru the front mount as I have to put the bobble strut in later. Also, found my new exhaust springs and bolts.:thumb:
It's not much, but better than just staring at it covered in snow.:love:

black86glhs
12-20-2010, 03:46 AM
Decided to do a couple more things tonight. Got the steering rack centered and the shift cables hooked back up. Also, got the clutch cable reconnected. Used one of Johnny's (PolyBushing's) clutch cable thingies. Feels so much better than the old rubber piece.
Took a couple pics of how the alt adjuster I modded looks in the car and how much room there is between the alt and the brace on the pass side. Mine works better than Simon's. I didn't have to notch it or clearance it at all.:thumb:

black86glhs
01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Pulled the front wheels and installed the new outer tie rod ends. Found a couple thick washers to use for spacers and installed Polybushings bobble strut on. Nice piece Johnny.:thumb:
Reinstalled the steering Shaft with the new lower end on it. Works perfectly, but I need to put a bolt thru the upper end in place of the roll pin. It was jumping teeth as I got towards steering lock and can feel the coupling move a little. It got spread apart when removed, no big deal. But I can move the car if I need to.:thumb:

black86glhs
03-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Pulled the column out and cleaned up the splines. Couldn't get the steering shaft back on last night and determined it was easier to pull it and clean them up. After repairing my screw up and cleaning the splines, it is all back in the car and ready to go.
Also, installed the oil cooler adapter and GLHS wix filter. It looks like it is going to fit, but time will tell.

black86glhs
04-14-2011, 11:16 PM
The new trunk lock cylinder showed up yesterday. Tonight I put it in. Turns out it was the wrong one, but I modified it and made it work. It came with the black outer cover too!! Looks better than the chrome one.

black86glhs
04-23-2011, 10:28 PM
I went out to replace the fuel pump. I wanted to make sure I didn't have any issues so I went to get some J30R10 spec fuel line. Of course, nobody has it, so it is on order.
So, I replaced the speed sensor with the one I needed and installed the new O2. Found cuts in the coil wire???? so figured I would install the aurora wires that Simon sells. The are nice and fit great. I remembered I found an unbroken distributer cover and installed it too.
The wires had been run over to the coil last year before the weather turned, so I connected them just to get something else done. Not having the PS pump made getting to the exhaust bolt a piece of cake!

cordes
04-23-2011, 10:47 PM
That's looking really nice Bryan.

black86glhs
04-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks. It still has a ton of wiring to get done. The connectors are the hardest part of it and take the longest (other than figuring out what wire is what)....lol.

black86glhs
04-24-2011, 02:37 AM
Began wrapping my head around the wiring setup again. Need to get a few other colors now. Time for a run to Summit for some wire.

Vigo
04-24-2011, 03:14 AM
I found an unbroken distributer cover and installed it too.

Unbroken? You mean like someone didnt just say "hey that thing is in the way and it bends... *bends it*" cuz thats what i always do until i get sick enough of it to toss it. :p

But then i dont have any numbered cars to put engine bays back to 'right' with. I hear those things do something during precipitation events.. Being from south texas i am too dehydrated to comprehend that concept. Good job on the project so far. :)

black86glhs
04-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Unbroken? You mean like someone didnt just say "hey that thing is in the way and it bends... *bends it*" cuz thats what i always do until i get sick enough of it to toss it. :p

But then i dont have any numbered cars to put engine bays back to 'right' with. I hear those things do something during precipitation events.. Being from south texas i am too dehydrated to comprehend that concept. Good job on the project so far. :)I had one on it but it was glued together. Didn't last long. So thought I would put it on it. This thing is not a restore, the numbers don't match. I am now playing with it. The body and interior will stay GLHS, but the underhood will have work done to it.

jaysshelby
04-24-2011, 10:39 AM
The body and interior will stay GLHS, but the underhood will have work done to it.

Yeah that means get to work and get it done.

black86glhs
04-24-2011, 01:44 PM
The body and interior will stay GLHS, but the underhood will have work done to it.

Yeah that means get to work and get it done.Yes Mein Furher!!

jaysshelby
04-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Yes Mein Furher!!

damn straight.

135sohc
04-26-2011, 11:39 PM
You can still get those plastic distributor covers from the dealer for less than $3.

black86glhs
04-27-2011, 12:16 AM
You can still get those plastic distributor covers from the dealer for less than $3.

I never would have thought they were still available this long after these engines were stopped. Hmmmmm.

135sohc
04-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I also have a pile of used ones I'll sell even cheaper..! :eyebrows:

black86glhs
05-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Finally an update worth putting in print.
The coil overs are in!!! At least the rear ones are. Figured out the bushings for the bottom mount.
Also found the alt. wiring harness I snagged from the PAP. :thumb:

cordes
05-07-2011, 06:03 PM
That looks good. What struts are those?

black86glhs
05-07-2011, 06:34 PM
That looks good. What struts are those?The BC coil overs that Rich B. sells. The car sits better with just the rear ones on. Can't wait until I get the front ones on there.

Keito
05-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Dude, when you take pics that close, use the flower!
CO's look good though.

black86glhs
05-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Dude, when you take pics that close, use the flower!
CO's look good though.
They were with my cell and not a regular camera. Your lucky I even took them.....lol. If I had been using a real camera they would be better. Damn weather cut off the fun. Wanted to get the pump changed now that I have the right fuel lines. Oh well.

omni_840
05-07-2011, 10:32 PM
So are those the one's in question if they would work or not?

Looking good BTW:)

black86glhs
05-07-2011, 10:41 PM
So are those the one's in question if they would work or not?

Looking good BTW:)Yes. It was just a matter of finding lower bushings that would work. I modified some to fit the lower shock mounts and then used the washers to move them in towards the center of the car away from the axle tubes and it seams to work.

cordes
05-08-2011, 09:25 PM
The BC coil overs that Rich B. sells. The car sits better with just the rear ones on. Can't wait until I get the front ones on there.

I thought he couldn't get those going? Are they originally for a different model?

black86glhs
05-09-2011, 01:50 AM
I thought he couldn't get those going? Are they originally for a different model?They are for an Eclipse, 96-00 i think. I had to get the lower bushing setup ironed out. It is very different from an Omni. But I got it.

cordes
05-11-2011, 08:47 PM
They are for an Eclipse, 96-00 i think. I had to get the lower bushing setup ironed out. It is very different from an Omni. But I got it.

I couldn't tell by looking at them except for the fact that you have the spacer in there. Very nice work.

black86glhs
05-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks. After tomorrow, I'll have more time to work on it. Hoping to get the fuel pump stuff done this weekend, weather permitting.

black86glhs
06-02-2011, 11:11 PM
I swear I added a post to this thread yesterday or the day before????
Oh well. I did get the suspension work done. All the coil overs are on and looking good. Tonight I got the walbro installed with all new fuel lines and clamps. Here are a few pics.

31330313263132831329313253131931320313213132231323 31324

88_pacifica
06-03-2011, 08:01 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31326&d=1307070604

Are those custom Carroll Shelby brake blocks and hardware that comes with TD's? :eyebrows: :thumb:

black86glhs
06-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Are those custom Carroll Shelby brake blocks and hardware that comes with TD's? :eyebrows: :thumb:I believe they are. Lord knows how many of them I have seen just like that.:thumb::nod::eyebrows:

omni_840
06-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Looking good Bryan! Are the wheels 15''?

black86glhs
06-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Looking good Bryan! Are the wheels 15''?Yeah they are. Currently all the wheels I have are 15" Since I just bought 2 new tires to replace the rear ones, it will be a while until I look at 16" ones.

jaysshelby
06-04-2011, 08:50 AM
so Bryan, does that sh!tbox run yet? Sdac is only a few weeks away.

black86glhs
06-05-2011, 12:57 AM
so Bryan, does that sh!tbox run yet? Sdac is only a few weeks away.NO!!!!
But it is getting closer. Sadly, I will be in Canada during SDAC. I thought the trip was this week, but turns out it is that week and weekend.
I did get some more of the PM wiring done. The temp sensor on the block is done as it the reverse switch. I'm hoping to get the injector wiring done tomorrow evening. Still have to get the 12 terminal PM connector wiring worked out as well as the Lm wiring.

black86glhs
06-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Dropped a few $$$$ at Summit Racing earlier. I believe I should be very close to having all the wiring needed for finishing the harness (darn close). Didn't get anything more done on it since the last post. What's new...lol.

135sohc
06-12-2011, 01:23 AM
The money tree only grows so fast :confused2:

black86glhs
06-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Mine died.....:yuck:

However, the wife's tree seems like it is on steroids!:nod::clap:

Juggy
06-12-2011, 01:21 PM
NO!!!!
But it is getting closer. Sadly, I will be in Canada during SDAC. I thought the trip was this week, but turns out it is that week and weekend.
I did get some more of the PM wiring done. The temp sensor on the block is done as it the reverse switch. I'm hoping to get the injector wiring done tomorrow evening. Still have to get the 12 terminal PM connector wiring worked out as well as the Lm wiring.

where abouts?

blk86trbo
06-12-2011, 02:47 PM
I will be in Canada during SDAC

Well son of a biscuit...I thought I was gonna finally gonna get to meet you and check out your GLHS

88_pacifica
06-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Sadly, I will be in Canada during SDAC.

Well son of a biscuit...I thought I was gonna finally gonna get to meet you and check out your GLHS

Nah, he just knew I was going to be there and said that he wouldn't go if I went. I told him I wouldn't be there for the whole thing and that I would leave so he can go, but he was just being stubborn. Typical huh?

black86glhs
06-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Nah, he just knew I was going to be there and said that he wouldn't go if I went. I told him I wouldn't be there for the whole thing and that I would leave so he can go, but he was just being stubborn. Typical huh?Damn GM people are stubborn, aren't we....LOL.

Juggy, not exactly sure of the lake we are going to, but it is definitely way north of anything...lol. No cell reception there at all. This is starting to sound like a horror movie.......uh oh.

88_pacifica
06-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Damn GM people are stubborn, aren't we....LOL.

Juggy, not exactly sure of the lake we are going to, but it is definitely way north of anything...lol. No cell reception there at all. This is starting to sound like a horror movie.......uh oh.

"You shor do got a purty mouth..."

black86glhs
06-12-2011, 11:17 PM
"You shor do got a purty mouth..."At least I know the guy....so that makes it ok.....right????

88_pacifica
06-13-2011, 07:31 AM
At least I know the guy....so that makes it ok.....right????

I guess... Now, let me ask you this. Let's say you went camping with four buddies and you all got really drunk. Everybody was having a good time and you stayed up until the wee hours of the morning partying till you passed out. Then, the next day you woke up with a condom hanging out of your azz, would you tell anybody?

You wanna go camping? :D :thumb:

black86glhs
06-13-2011, 05:54 PM
I would only speak of it to the three others. I would ask which one of them thought I was their boss?

When I got home, I would be in the shower for a very looooonnggg time. Drink a whole bottle of vodka. Pass out for a day. Wake up and go on like nothing happened. LOL.

88_pacifica
06-13-2011, 06:20 PM
I would only speak of it to the three others. I would ask which one of them thought I was their boss?

When I got home, I would be in the shower for a very looooonnggg time. Drink a whole bottle of vodka. Pass out for a day. Wake up and go on like nothing happened. LOL.

HAAA!!!! LOLOL... Nice answer.... :thumb:

black86glhs
06-26-2011, 11:20 PM
I got a box delivered while I was in Canada full of wires!!!! I attempted to reuse the LM terminals, but that was, well not good. So I have 75 of them coming in. YAY!!! My plan is to have most of the LM wiring done this week, but we will see.

black86glhs
06-29-2011, 12:18 AM
The terminals have been shipped. Hoping they will show up tomorrow, but more likely Thurs.

black86glhs
07-17-2011, 12:21 AM
Well, the terminals showed up like expected. I ran a few more wires and finished some of the connections I had to hold off on previously. The wires that I ran so far have been installed in the LM connectors, yay!! However, only about 1/2 of the wires have been run, boo!!

black86glhs
08-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Finally, another update. The red LM connector is done. Got 1 or 2 more wires run to the blue connector. The IAC and TPS wires(minus the sensor ground) are run and just need to be terminated in the proper connectors. Also, need to get the connector changed out for the solenoid pack and reuse the diagnostic connector. That will get some more wires taken care of and clean it up some more.

black86glhs
08-12-2011, 01:42 AM
I got the TPS and IAC connectors done. Changed over the solenoid pack connector to a 6way weather pack type. I only have 5-6 more wires to run to the LM. I also need to get wire loom to hide it all in. Need to do some more work on the PDC. Maybe in a week or 2 I'll be able to put the battery in and see what catches fire!!!

black86glhs
08-13-2011, 01:14 AM
A few pics to go with the last couple of posts. Plus a few other things got done.

black86glhs
08-14-2011, 12:22 AM
I got the HEP connectors done and finished up the loose ends of the previous stuff I had already started. Tomorrow it is off to the PAP to get some neon PDC terminals and some extra fuses and relays. I also need to find some 1"-1.5" corrugated tubing to start the harness wrapping. Thinking of using the cloth tape to wrap it where the tubing will stop. Regular plastic tape is crap in these situations.

black86glhs
08-17-2011, 03:19 AM
I didn't get the harness wrapping done, but did get the rad fan relay wired in. Now if only my new radiator would show up....hint, hint....I could get it in and start the final assembly!
Let this next part be a lesson to all you poeple who go, "it looks like a good connection." I was getting some weird goings on. Battery showed 12V, but nothing would light up or turn on inside the car????? Connected the BH conn and it came to life, sort of. Cleaned both batt terminals and clamps. Finally get a good connection(or so I thought). Got in, turned the key to on and heard a snap. Found the washer/wiper fuse blown....huh???? Traced it all down and it was correct. So I put it back together and hit the key, fuse blown again. Then I notice the interior light is very dim. Grab a reading at the battery.....12.78V. Decided to ignore the blown fuse and check the battery cables. The neg clamp would get warm, but not the wire or battery. Take the cable off and almost no spark. So it isn't shorted.
I take the cable and clamp apart to find it rusty, corroded and nasty. Cleaned the clamp and cut the cable back a couple inches and exposed nice clean wire. Put it all together, turned the key to on and all the lights lit up. Turned it to start and it cranked over once or twice and I let go.
Time to put the LM and fluids(minus coolant) and see if she will start and run for a short time.
The Moral......the ground clamp "looked" fine. The battery terminal was crusty. Cleaned the terminal and still had issues. Took apart the clamp and cleaned up the fuzzies and rusties. Put it all back together and bam...it all works great.

Never overlook anything.:thumb:

black86glhs
08-17-2011, 11:06 PM
It's getting better. I fried the PM!!!! Yes, that's right. In my dyslexia raged foolishness I connected the 12 way connector upside down. So now I am on the lookout for one. No spark at all.
The good news is it cranks over fine and I can hear the fuel pump run when I jump the pos term on the coil.

cordes
08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
What did you use on the ends of the wires for the PM?

black86glhs
08-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Female weather pack terminals fit the pins nicely. Put shrink tubing around them to keep them from expanding. It got fried because I had the terminals backwards. :(

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

cordes
08-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Female weather pack terminals fit the pins nicely. Put shrink tubing around them to keep them from expanding. It got fried because I had the terminals backwards. :(

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

That's a bummer for sure. I actually looked at the power terminal on a SMEC today to see if we could easily swap to a newer style connector. It doesn't look as easy as I first thought it would be. I haven't checked my PM yet though.

turbovanmanČ
08-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Need a PM, I have one. Wow, that's a ton of work, I am too lazy for that.

black86glhs
08-23-2011, 01:08 AM
That's a bummer for sure. I actually looked at the power terminal on a SMEC today to see if we could easily swap to a newer style connector. It doesn't look as easy as I first thought it would be. I haven't checked my PM yet though.It' my own damn fault for not paying better attention.

Need a PM, I have one. Wow, that's a ton of work, I am too lazy for that.Thanks, but I got one. I was in no hurry, so it took a while. If that damn terminal hadn't slipped and made contact with the with the ground, I would most likely be testing how it runs.

black86glhs
09-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Simon I know how you feel at this moment. 60 psi from the compression check on #1. Added some trans fluid and it came up to 110 psi. The wiring and PM are all worked out, but the compression is crap on #1. I'm tired of d*cking around with it.

The engine will go to a machine shop and get full machine work. I can build damn near any other engine with duct tape and a drill, but not these. I give in...lol.

Now i will have something to do over the winter!!!!! YAY!!!:o

black86glhs
11-12-2011, 01:54 AM
I got another block a little bit ago and tore it down tonight, completely. It is ready to go to the machine shop. If it is open tomorrow, I might run it up there and drop it off. It is either an 85 or 86 turbo block with good internals.

88_pacifica
11-13-2011, 09:22 PM
I can build damn near any other engine with duct tape and a drill, but not these. I give in...lol.

I can appreciate this statement entirely! :nod: :thumb:

black86glhs
11-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Weird, isn't it.:confused2:

Oh yeah, will be talking to the machine shop this week. Finally.

88_pacifica
11-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Weird, isn't it.:confused2:

Oh yeah, will be talking to the machine shop this week. Finally.

Yep... What blows my mind is that if I 'half-a55' it and just throw something together like everybody else, it will will run great. If I take time to do it right as it SUPPOSED to be, it will go FUBAR!

black86glhs
11-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Still driving the Intrigue that lunched 3rd and 4th rod bearings. Pulled it, installed new crank and bearings, checked that the rod was good, put it back in. That was 3 years ago.
Did that with a 2.2, it is dead a month later...lol.:D

88_pacifica
11-13-2011, 09:48 PM
HA!!! I have done the exact same thing before. I think it's just karma though since the General seems to be WAY more forgiving to me than Ma Mopar...

black86glhs
11-14-2011, 02:34 AM
AMEN my GM brother.

black86glhs
11-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Went and talked to the guys at the machine shop. They seem like pretty good guys. I'll be taking it up to them to get the bores checked out. Then I can get to ordering the pistons for it!:thumb:

black86glhs
11-25-2011, 12:41 AM
I had been wondering what HG I was going to use on my non-crossdrilled block and head, 006 or try the newer Fel-Pro. I was looking for something for my daughter and found 2 intake/exhaust gaskets and a brand new 005. Sweet!

black86glhs
12-16-2011, 11:10 PM
The Block is at the machine shop!!!!!:hail:
Dropped it off earlier today. it is in line behind a few others, but since it is winter, no hurry.

cordes
12-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Wow, that's great. Are you planning to have it on the road this year?

black86glhs
12-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Yes, but I planned it every year and you can go back and see how well that went...lol. The under hood rewire took much longer than I predicted, but it is basically done(need to wrap the harness). This time the engine will be done 100%. No cutting corners.

cordes
12-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Yes, but I planned it every year and you can go back and see how well that went...lol. The under hood rewire took much longer than I predicted, but it is basically done(need to wrap the harness). This time the engine will be done 100%. No cutting corners.

I'll be expecting you at SDAC then.

black86glhs
12-18-2011, 03:01 AM
God willing and the creek.....etc, etc.....yes.

black86glhs
12-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks to Chris at TU. He got me the .020 over pistons I needed. They showed up today and are already at the machine shop. Will be ready by Fri at the latest.
On the crappy side of things, the second gear is shot in my 555 trans. So now I pay out the arse for one or hope someone has one that they don't need.

black86glhs
12-23-2011, 08:31 PM
UPDATE!!!
The engine block is home. I'll post up some pics a little later. It looks sooo pretty!!!!:D

ColtonAndrew
12-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Thats gunna be a beast! Keep it a sleeper car and blow peoples minds when an old looking car blows away their corvettes

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Oh and an idea to consider, depending on where you live, you might be able to find a parts/donor car for way cheap on craigslist or if you know what looks good and what doesnt, try the towing companies yards around your place. Best of luck on the project bud!

omni_840
12-23-2011, 10:01 PM
UPDATE!!!
The engine block is home. I'll post up some pics a little later. It looks sooo pretty!!!!:D

Sweet! Patiently awaiting pics, btw is this the original block?

cordes
12-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Wow, that was a fast turn around.

black86glhs
12-24-2011, 02:40 AM
Thats gunna be a beast! Keep it a sleeper car and blow peoples minds when an old looking car blows away their corvettes

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Oh and an idea to consider, depending on where you live, you might be able to find a parts/donor car for way cheap on craigslist or if you know what looks good and what doesnt, try the towing companies yards around your place. Best of luck on the project bud!You forget i live in the rust belt. They are all in worse shape than the one I have, if there any at all.

Sweet! Patiently awaiting pics, btw is this the original block?No, this came from an 85 glh turbo.

Wow, that was a fast turn around.I know. Right after I brought him the pistons, he said it picked up a little. Most of the other stuff wasn't going out until next week anyway.

black86glhs
12-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Pics are in da house!

cordes
12-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Did you make that bearing installation tool?

black86glhs
12-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Oh yeah, that reminds me. It is 1/2"x13(thread pitch) threaded rod with 2 nuts and a bunch of washers. The key to it is the small washer for the internal bearing. I took an old head bolt washer and drilled out the center to just barely fit over the rod. I also ground the outside down so it would just barely fit in the bearing journal. It pulls the bearing right in.:thumb:

cordes
12-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Oh yeah, that reminds me. It is 1/2"x13(thread pitch) threaded rod with 2 nuts and a bunch of washers. The key to it is the small washer for the internal bearing. I took an old head bolt washer and drilled out the center to just barely fit over the rod. I also ground the outside down so it would just barely fit in the bearing journal. It pulls the bearing right in.:thumb:
Thanks for that write up. It sounds like you have a KC article on your hands.

black86glhs
12-25-2011, 02:05 AM
I think I'll submit it.....thanks for the idea.:D

black86glhs
12-25-2011, 04:38 AM
Santa showed up at my house and did some engine work.

cordes
12-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Wow, that's looking really good. Is santa going to bring a ported top end too?

Keito
12-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Did you grind the rings?
Jay is coming over Wed, were going to install the Weiscos in my 2.5 block.

black86glhs
12-25-2011, 12:20 PM
The shop did the ring gaps. All I had to do was install them and drop the slugs in the cylinders.:thumb:

I'll be pulling the head off the car and putting it on here. Ported head, intake and ex mani. It will start out stock components until i know it runs good. Then, the +20's, 3 bar MAP, and tune to make good use of them.

Keito
12-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Jay has the +20 3bar tune we run on our cars from Matt Wright, runs awesome.
Have him burn a chip when your ready.

black86glhs
12-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I was wondering where I was going to get it from. That will be perfect!

black86glhs
12-27-2011, 12:53 AM
I got the freeze plugs in, the coolant adapter, the oil drain back tube, and the fuel pump block off plate back on. Forgot to get front and rear crank seals, so tomorrow those get ordered. Oh yeah, cleaned out the oil pan and trying to decide if I want to put baffles in it. I'll probably do it.:thumb:

135sohc
12-27-2011, 01:05 AM
If you havnt already just bite the bullet and get the repair sleeves for the crankshaft seal surfaces as well. Its worth doing to keep things leak free for a long time. If you want I'll send you the installation tool for the rear one with the rings tomorrow. Just cover the cost of the incoming postage when you send it back.

black86glhs
12-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Thanks, but the surfaces are not marked up or scored. They seals that were on it didn't leak at all.

black86glhs
12-29-2011, 03:52 AM
OK, the front and rear crank seals are in and the oil pan is installed.
I have some odds and ends to finish but I am gonna start on the tear down and rebuild of the A-555.
Will be getting some gear pullers and bearing splitters tomorrow. Christmas money is so nice!

shackwrrr
12-29-2011, 09:06 AM
OK, the front and rear crank seals are in and the oil pan is installed.
I have some odds and ends to finish but I am gonna start on the tear down and rebuild of the A-555.
Will be getting some gear pullers and bearing splitters tomorrow. Christmas money is so nice!

I have alot of the special tools if you need to use it. I don't live all that far away and have family in the Canton area.

black86glhs
12-30-2011, 02:20 AM
I have alot of the special tools if you need to use it. I don't live all that far away and have family in the Canton area.I'll keep that in mind if i need them, thanks.
But first, I need to find a drill guide so I can drill and tap for 11mm bolts.

Went out and drilled 2 holes and tapped them. Piece of cake. I thought it would be harder than that. the threads and bolts are nice and tight fitting too.:thumb:

black86glhs
01-01-2012, 05:12 AM
Got all the holes drilled and tapped. I do not recommend doing this without a guide to drill and tap the holes. I have done this type of work many times and still almost F'ed it up.
The head is on, the valvetrain and valve cover is on. I used a TBI one piece cover until I get the Shelby one finished properly.
The exhaust manifold has been drilled on tapped for the HY35.
Managed to get the mainshaft of the trans pulled apart and didn't even kill the bearing in the process. I definitely need a second gear. I really doubt I can file the dog teeth and make it work properly. It will most likely grind going into second either way. So I'm back to looking for a 2nd gear.

black86glhs
01-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Here are the pics of 1st and 2nd for comparison.

135sohc
01-01-2012, 08:58 PM
How does the slider ring look ? Honestly yeah its worn but I'd be willing to bet 98% of all 555/568's out there are going to look like that or be even worse for wear. 3rd gear in my 568 is totally ground over, far worse than that. I put it back together and drove it with the matching destroyed slider ring.. grind, grind, grind.

I put another slider ring in from a parts donor that was pretty good and not ground over, not one grinding problem since.

black86glhs
01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I'll have to look at it closer and see. My other 555 looked about the same and it grinds going into 2nd. I just replaced some bearing on it and didn't get into the synchros on it.

cordes
01-01-2012, 09:37 PM
The service limit on it is 50% of the tooth gone. I would probably run that gear with a nice looking slider as previously mentioned. I've seen much nicer gears, but I'm sure everyone isn't willing to part with them for cheap if at all.

135sohc
01-01-2012, 09:39 PM
If there was a real interest and people would follow up with the $ we could get these speed gears reproduced.... Getting 2-3 dozen gears made at once would bring the cost down to within reason for maybe 2 dozen people who would actually pay the cost though. But you know how that goes with this crowd, just about everyone wants/expects something for nothing... :(

cordes
01-01-2012, 09:44 PM
If there was a real interest and people would follow up with the $ we could get these speed gears reproduced.... Getting 2-3 dozen gears made at once would bring the cost down to within reason for maybe 2 dozen people who would actually pay the cost though. But you know how that goes with this crowd, just about everyone wants/expects something for nothing... :(

IMO there are enough decent pieces left for most of us. I've got three great looking 555 gear sets lying around. One is reserved for a friend and the rest are my personal stash for the next 30 years.

I do believe that we will see custom gears and FDs in the next 18mo though.

black86glhs
01-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Weren't the 87-88 models the three piece synchro versions? I ask because my trans has a tag that shows late 1989, but has the three piece 1 & 2 gear synchros???? I have an 87 shop manual and it shows the 1 piece setup. I'm beginning to wonder about this trans. Maybe someone rebuilt it years ago with parts from an earlier version?

135sohc
01-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Weren't the 87-88 models the three piece synchro versions? I ask because my trans has a tag that shows late 1989, but has the three piece 1 & 2 gear synchros???? I have an 87 shop manual and it shows the 1 piece setup. I'm beginning to wonder about this trans. Maybe someone rebuilt it years ago with parts from an earlier version?

87-88 were the 1 piece, 89 and newer was the 3 piece.

black86glhs
01-01-2012, 11:21 PM
PHEW....glad to know I had it backwards.....Now to find some replacement parts.

135sohc
01-01-2012, 11:31 PM
IMO there are enough decent pieces left for most of us. I've got three great looking 555 gear sets lying around. One is reserved for a friend and the rest are my personal stash for the next 30 years.

I do believe that we will see custom gears and FDs in the next 18mo though.

I would really have to disagree on your thought that theres enough 'decent' stuff left out there unless your taking several cores just to make one 'good' unit.
The only gearset in my growing collection of cores and parts that I would call 'excellent' came from my cars original 3.77 523 that was driven very gently for most of its life and never abused.

cordes
01-02-2012, 12:04 AM
I would really have to disagree on your thought that theres enough 'decent' stuff left out there unless your taking several cores just to make one 'good' unit.
The only gearset in my growing collection of cores and parts that I would call 'excellent' came from my cars original 3.77 523 that was driven very gently for most of its life and never abused.

Perhaps the stuff I've come across has been a fluke then. One of my sets came out of a JY car which I pulled the trans from close to 10 years ago now. Another really good set I have came out of a beautiful condition 88 Daytona which was totaled when it hit a deer. I have a 555 reserved for a friend which came from Bill G.'s place and looks good through the inspection cover. The 555 from my omni has a nice looking gear set, but it was gone through by FM before I purchased the car.

I can assure you that the 555, in my Daytona, the 568 in my Shadow, and the 523 in my 600 are all beat to Hades and in dire need of parts though.

Like I say, in 18mo. someone will have stuff made to suit them. I thought FDs would come first, but I'm starting to think it may indeed be the gears.

black86glhs
01-02-2012, 11:25 PM
OK, here are a couple pics.The first one is just to show the steel synchro is in good shape for both gears. The second one is where I have the question. Is there supposed to be so much space between the inner cone of the synchro and the shaft? Are they supposed to be able to rotate that much?

135sohc
01-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Both look ok. I dont know why new process wanted that inner cone to have so much free play on the shaft because its just a smooth braking surface for the friction ring to press against when making the shift, nothing has to 'line up' with it but I wont second guess the engineering thought other than to say it may have been done also for assembly time purposes on the production line, quicker the better.

black86glhs
01-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Cool thanks. I am going to reuse the one in the car for now, and this gets put on the back burner. My 88 will be next on the list to get worked on after today's happenings.

black86glhs
01-04-2012, 12:14 AM
It is too cold t work on my Olds, so the omni got some love today. I had redrilled the Dodge manifold for the holset earlier. I then installed it on the engine and bolted the holset in place. I already check the intake manifold clearance and it has a tad bit more than I thought it would. I will need to make a wastegate mounting bracket, but that will be done about the same time I get an elbow welded on in place of the flange on the compressor cover.

Keito
01-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Do you think you will have to massage the firewall?
Looks like you may beat me with your install, I get
My HY35 this weekend, see you Saturday.

cordes
01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Did you drill and tap the head for larger exhaust manifold bolts?

Keito
01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a manifold like that, with the N cast in it and the boss sticking up between 2-3
Nice place for a pressure guage.
Probably not an ideal place for an EGT sensor, but it would be an easy place to tap for it.

black86glhs
01-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Do you think you will have to massage the firewall?
Looks like you may beat me with your install, I get
My HY35 this weekend, see you Saturday.I'm not 100% yet, but I don't think so.

Did you drill and tap the head for larger exhaust manifold bolts?No, those are the same ones I used before. The kit is from TU.

I don't think I've ever seen a manifold like that, with the N cast in it and the boss sticking up between 2-3
Nice place for a pressure guage.
Probably not an ideal place for an EGT sensor, but it would be an easy place to tap for it.I always wondered about the N and if it meant anything or not. I did not really look that hard but couldn't find anything out about it. I just wish I had the desire to put a pressure gauge in....lol.

cordes
01-04-2012, 01:34 PM
I haven't seen one either. Could it be an indication about the nickel content? Perhaps some foundry marking?

shackwrrr
01-04-2012, 01:54 PM
I've seen the boss, both mine have it. The N I think was an indication of it being nodular and I think vgt cars got it.

cordes
01-04-2012, 02:06 PM
I've seen the boss, both mine have it. The N I think was an indication of it being nodular and I think vgt cars got it.

I agree about the boss.

black86glhs
01-04-2012, 07:06 PM
That makes sense.

black86glhs
01-09-2012, 02:22 AM
I am going to replace the water pump before it goes in the car(not really that close to going in). I'm not sure about it and figure why not, easier to do it now. Waiting on some exhaust stuff to come in. Besides, I need to clean up and put tools away.

cordes
01-09-2012, 02:29 AM
I am going to replace the water pump before it goes in the car(not really that close to going in). I'm not sure about it and figure why not, easier to do it now. Waiting on some exhaust stuff to come in. Besides, I need to clean up and put tools away.

I'd put it in after. I always hit that pump housing on stuff pulling or installing the motor.

black86glhs
01-09-2012, 02:59 AM
I can do it with it all on except the pulleys. I'll leave them all off until it is in.
I am no longer getting it ready for SDAC. I am now going to the beach with my family. It always ends up that week. Damnit.:(

Keito
01-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Dude, there's like 51 other weeks in the year to go to the beach, depending on how far south you want go.

jaysshelby
01-09-2012, 10:04 AM
YEAH, what Keith said.

black86glhs
01-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Yeah, but it isn't up to me....My dad set it all up. Were talking 10-14 people going, not just my immediate family. If it was me setting it up, this wouldn't be happening.

omni_840
01-09-2012, 04:19 PM
That sucks, but atleast your humming right along on the build!

Keito
01-09-2012, 09:23 PM
In for the downpipe pics!

Keito
01-10-2012, 09:55 PM
What about now?

black86glhs
01-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Now? Yes.

cordes
01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
That looks really good.

black86glhs
01-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Now I'm waiting on the V-band clamps so I can see where this are going to be located.

black86glhs
01-20-2012, 08:49 PM
V-band clamps and silicone adapters showed up today. My new 22 inch comp monitor showed up also. This is a good day!

Keito
01-20-2012, 09:05 PM
I was hoping to get to the shop tomorrow to machine the E manifold, we'll have to see how much white stuff we get tonight.
Started snowing 30 minutes ago, coming straight down, no wind.
It's a slow mover.

black86glhs
01-22-2012, 12:30 AM
Up here we only got 3-4". Worked on the DP tonight. I have to agree with Brent(OMG!!!!) that the generic v-band clamps suck. After a 1/2 hour of fixing the clamp, I have it bolted up to the turbo. It looks nice!!! Some hillbilly measuring shows that the exhaust is moved over roughly 2.5" from the stock S/V. I have no P.S. on mine, so I'll have to look at the car to see if I can move the exhaust that much on mine. I'm cable shifted, so no problems there, also. Is it spring yet?

Oh, here are a couple pictures.

cordes
01-22-2012, 01:58 AM
Very cool. That looks like it will be a big improvement.

black86glhs
01-22-2012, 04:14 AM
I hope so. Now I need someone to do my HW for me again and some warm weather so I can get looking at it.

black86glhs
03-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Finally got the compressor cover and elbow over to the welder!!! Will have it back next week. Also have some 2.5" pipe coming for the exhaust adapter I need to make. The ATP down pipe is about 3" too far to the pass side.

black86glhs
03-23-2012, 03:13 AM
Cut and welded the transition I need to connect the exhaust. Can't find the V-band adapter that I swear I bought a couple months back. If I order one, I'll find it. After I get it finished, I'll take some pics.

Keito
03-23-2012, 07:13 AM
I'm finishing the comp outlet Sunday and off to the welder. Funny, I'm like in your shadow.
Obviously the downpipe you bought fits the outlet, I was thinking it was a funky size but the 3" fit right?
Purchasing my DP next week.

black86glhs
03-23-2012, 04:38 PM
No I changed the order for the 2.5 version. I was wrong when I first ordered it. All my stuff is 2.5" pipe and outlet. I have the cover and elbow at the welder. Should be back next week.

black86glhs
03-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Here are the pics of the transition pipe mostly done. Need to wait and see how much I need to cut off after it is in the car.

Keito
03-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Jay and I looked at it tonight, I have the bolt on plate for the exhaust outlet, I'm going to
weld a 3" V band flange onto it, it'll be the easiest way.

black86glhs
03-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Jay and I looked at it tonight, I have the bolt on plate for the exhaust outlet, I'm going to
weld a 3" V band flange onto it, it'll be the easiest way.Next time, i'll make the DP myself. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice piece, but I would like to be able to turn it back towards the drivers side sooner. Nice thing is that i don't have PS, so nothing it its way but K-member and firewall. I'll be running hard lines for the vacuum stuff so i can get the vacuum block out from behind the intake.
Definitely get the pipe turning ASAP to make it easier to "bolt in" so to speak. Now you have me thinking of modding the ATP piece......hmmmm.

black86glhs
05-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Wow.....finally an update. Damn school always gets in the way.
Picked up my comp cover from the welder. Fits perfect with a slight upward angle. Placed the adapter on it to see what it will look like. Me likey!

bakes
05-12-2012, 12:37 PM
nice !!!!
if you can leave some room for a 4" intake system in the future they do fit but it is tight use a 90* pipe that touches the turbo and use a 4" hose to connet them this will give you the room to install it

black86glhs
05-20-2012, 12:13 AM
For right now it will run 2.5" tubing, but the future is always unknown.
I did replace the wiper motor that died during a thunderstorm a few years back. I wanted to do more but no room in the garage to start pulling powertrain, yet. Besides, I have to get the brake lines on my 88 done first. After that, the engine might disappear from the stand and magically appear in the engine bay.

jaysshelby
05-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Better get on it, SDAC is only a couple weeks away.

black86glhs
05-23-2012, 01:07 AM
I'll be at the beach so it doesn't matter.

Keito
05-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Jay has a short memory.

black86glhs
05-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Lol.....

black86glhs
06-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Well...
Got the Olds done. Brakes work great.Know I will have time to get things ready and maybe pull the old Eng out and be ready to set it on the mounts. Still need to sort out my wiring. However I have an idea of what might be happening.
Maybe after I weld a ball joint in a pt tomorrow, I will get some work done on it?