PDA

View Full Version : Turbo to Exhaust manifold Gasket?

Blue Iroc R/T
05-07-2006, 11:15 PM
I always thought that there was NO gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. When I took mine apart on my Iroc R/T today, there was a brass shim type gasket between them. It this unique to the TIII's? :confused:

mpgmike
05-07-2006, 11:23 PM
My '91 didn't have any shims or gaskets. If it is unique it is unique to the later years.

Mike

Chris W
05-08-2006, 12:30 AM
I always thought that there was NO gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. When I took mine apart on my Iroc R/T today, there was a brass shim type gasket between them. It this unique to the TIII's? :confused:

TIII's usually have gaskets. TI/TII/TIV's do not.

Chris-TU

Blue Iroc R/T
05-08-2006, 11:51 AM
I have a 93 Chrysler Parts Catalog and I don't find any gasket part number listing. It does show a gasket on a 2.5 Turbo Diesel engine between the turbo and manifold.
Fortunately the one on mine looked good, so I just re-used it. The interesting part was that ALL 4 Nuts holding the Turbo to the Manifold were less than finger tight. As hard as those are to get to, I can't imagine how the shop that repaced the turbo for me a few years back, did it without removing the head.

Pat
05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't know if there were running changes or not, but of the 3 '91 T-III motors I've pulled apart, none had gaskets.

LynX853
05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
I have a 93 Chrysler Parts Catalog and I don't find any gasket part number listing. It does show a gasket on a 2.5 Turbo Diesel engine between the turbo and manifold.
Fortunately the one on mine looked good, so I just re-used it. The interesting part was that ALL 4 Nuts holding the Turbo to the Manifold were less than finger tight. As hard as those are to get to, I can't imagine how the shop that repaced the turbo for me a few years back, did it without removing the head.

why does everyone think you gotta remove the head to change turbos? it took me 6 hours the first time i ever did it (removal and installiation + small things like fluids and such) and after the 3rd time i can do it in 3.5

its really not that hard

Blue Iroc R/T
05-08-2006, 08:15 PM
why does everyone think you gotta remove the head to change turbos? it took me 6 hours the first time i ever did it (removal and installiation + small things like fluids and such) and after the 3rd time i can do it in 3.5

its really not that hard

On a TIII engine? Yea, I heard to just take the front mount loose and the bobble strut loose and roll the engine forward to make more room. It is just getting to the 4 nuts on the flange that I think is such a PITA. If I HAD to do it without removing the head, I think I would use the rock and roll method and remove the turbo with the exhaust manifold. Even with the manifold and turbo on the bench, I had troubles getting them all tight. Wrenches just don't want to fit in there.

BTW here is picture of that gasket. As you can see, the nuts on the turbo were loose and exhaust was escaping. I have even wiped it off and cleaned it up some

Chris W
05-08-2006, 11:43 PM
I should have been more clear with that statement.

The 16-Valve R/T vehicles are over 10 years old now and the turbos have probably been off for repair at some point. I know we provide all our TIII customers with the Ford style gaskets with their rebuilds. I'm sure other rebuilders do as well. We sell these gaskets separately right here on our website:

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=111_103&products_id=102

Chris-TU

Blue Iroc R/T
05-09-2006, 12:46 PM
I should have been more clear with that statement.

The 16-Valve R/T vehicles are over 10 years old now and the turbos have probably been off for repair at some point. I know we provide all our TIII customers with the Ford style gaskets with their rebuilds. I'm sure other rebuilders do as well. We sell these gaskets separately right here on our website:

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=111_103&products_id=102

Chris-TU

That could explain why I have a gasket on mine. I purchased the TU Rebuilt Turbo from you a few years back (01 or 02). Back then, I was a noobe to the TIII's and I was working a lot of overtime. So I had a local shop do the install. That's why I don't remember the gasket. Thanks for clearing that up for me Chris.

Chris W
05-09-2006, 01:47 PM
That could explain why I have a gasket on mine. I purchased the TU Rebuilt Turbo from you a few years back (01 or 02). Back then, I was a noobe to the TIII's and I was working a lot of overtime. So I had a local shop do the install. That's why I don't remember the gasket. Thanks for clearing that up for me Chris.

No problem Ralph.

PS I'll call you today with an update on this weekends events. CW