PDA

View Full Version : Suspension: Koni Struts

Mario
08-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Well I missed the auction while at work....and I have the bug to make this thing handle. I'm looking for Koni struts. Prefer ones that don't need to be rebuilt, but will take what I can get for now. I'll be looking for about a week or two, after that, if I don't find anything I'm going another route.

dds78910
08-19-2009, 01:02 AM
I saw that auction, what did they sell for. Last I saw it was up to $300
Sorry, I'm no help.

tryingbe
08-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Only $455.00

Mario
08-19-2009, 02:17 AM
And this if for the Spirit BTW. I have a great supply for my L's but none for the other bodies. :(

135sohc
08-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Only $455.00

(not counting the extra upgrades done to them)

It just goes to show that all the hype and ooh ahh of having koni's is more user generated hot air than anything else. Especially with the more affordable KYB adjustable struts and bilstein shocks that have been proven to work now

tryingbe
08-19-2009, 02:25 AM
(not counting the extra upgrades done to them)

It just goes to show that all the hype and ooh ahh of having koni's is more user generated hot air than anything else. Especially with the more affordable KYB adjustable struts and bilstein shocks that have been proven to work now

I'm guessing you have not rode in a car with Koni.

I have. I also had stock and KYB GR-2 on the same car.

135sohc
08-19-2009, 02:47 AM
No I havnt.

But the point was I dont see the masses knocking down the front door to get at what remains of the existing Koni's. which goes against most sellers seem to think of them.

turbovanmanČ
08-19-2009, 02:47 AM
I'm guessing you have not rode in a car with Koni.

I have. I also had stock and KYB GR-2 on the same car.

He means the AGX adjustable unit but I also agree, I bet he's never been in a car with Koni's, they are night and day different, :amen:

dds78910
08-19-2009, 03:10 AM
They seem too aggressive for a DD, they came on my R/T when I bought it and it handles good but rides like a freakin lumber wagon!!

Mario
08-19-2009, 03:29 AM
Bump....

mcglsr2
08-19-2009, 03:45 AM
mario, i'm also interested in going a little better on the struts. i saw the auction - koni's sure are hard to come by.

as an alternative, have you see the thread on using some subaru front shocks? apparently they are very close to ours. it's certainly an option that i'll be keeping in mind.

Mario
08-29-2009, 08:51 PM
I'll try once more.

Shadowv4l
09-01-2009, 07:49 PM
I am about to use 1999 subaru legacy RS Koni Struts for the Front of my 94 Shadow, I'll let you know how it goes once they are shipped to me.

contraption22
09-01-2009, 08:00 PM
They seem too aggressive for a DD, they came on my R/T when I bought it and it handles good but rides like a freakin lumber wagon!!

I'd agree. I don't much see the point in the Koni's for a car that doesn't see regular autocross or track use. The only reason I think they would be needed is if you put Eibachs on your car and you need something to somewhat control crappy variable rate springs.

turbovanmanČ
09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
I'd agree. I don't much see the point in the Koni's for a car that doesn't see regular autocross or track use. The only reason I think they would be needed is if you put Eibachs on your car and you need something to somewhat control crappy variable rate springs.

Maybe its the weight of the van but I have them at 1/2 and love it, :thumb:

Shadowv4l
09-01-2009, 08:53 PM
My car has the heavy 3.slow and it handles well, but i want to be able to steer the front end after it lands from airborn flight :-)

turbovanmanČ
09-01-2009, 08:55 PM
My car has the heavy 3.slow and it handles well, but i want to be able to steer the front end after it lands from airborn flight :-)

I can't see that happening unless you have them cranked on full.

Mario
09-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I appreciate everyones opinion but I've had / have stiffer suspensions on daily drivers and I love it.

Juggy
09-02-2009, 10:39 AM
ive had spirit, daytona, and 2 bodies all with the koni/shadow eibach spring combo. they currently ride on my friends csx

i can say out of all 3 cars that they just seemed a little stiffer on the P bodies. they worked awesome on the other 2 platforms, especially the spirit! ride was awesome

the koni P bodies rode like a cadillac, compared to my L body with koni and 400# springs

neongary
09-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I had Konis and MP hi-rate springs on my daily driver Neon and thought it was a better riding setup than it was stock. Loved them. Bought an entire set for my Lebaron convert.

Mario
09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Alright ladies now show me the Konis!

tryingbe
09-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Here are how my Koni looks. Sorry, you can't pay me enough to sell them.

http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/dodge/Daytonaproject/strutdone.jpg
http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/dodge/Daytonaproject/koni2.jpg

Mario
09-02-2009, 01:47 PM
? I don't really understand the point of that post. I think you should re-word that to say, "You probably don't want to pay me how much I'd let these go for."

glhs727
09-02-2009, 01:48 PM
I have a NEW set (fronts and rears) that I'm thinking of putting on ebay.

Turbo SOB
09-02-2009, 02:06 PM
I have some, I e-mailed you. Hope to hear from you.

Later,
Jeff

Mario
09-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks. Replied.

turbovanmanČ
09-02-2009, 03:50 PM
? I don't really understand the point of that post. I think you should re-word that to say, "You probably don't want to pay me how much I'd let these go for."

He's being an ahole, showing you HIS new ones, :(

Shadowv4l
09-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Just got the Koni adjustable strut tubes today, made some measurements and feel pretty good about it. I'm going to take a STOCK strut tower assy. and put the Subaru yellow Koni Tubes into the Stock strut assy. This way i know the length of the tube and shaft is correct, only mod i would have to do is the lathe of the shaft 3/4 of an inch from the threaded area.
Apparently the only way to get the koni is by getting the tube inserts, if i was going to do the work to install them into subaru strut assy. why not try to put them into our OE strut assy. this
way i wouldn't have to change the camber adjustment holes that attach to the knuckle.

turbo_III
09-07-2009, 04:24 AM

Just got the Koni adjustable strut tubes today, made some measurements and feel pretty good about it. I'm going to take a STOCK strut tower assy. and put the Subaru yellow Koni Tubes into the Stock strut assy. This way i know the length of the tube and shaft is correct, only mod i would have to do is the lathe of the shaft 3/4 of an inch from the threaded area.
Apparently the only way to get the koni is by getting the tube inserts, if i was going to do the work to install them into subaru strut assy. why not try to put them into our OE strut assy. this
way i wouldn't have to change the camber adjustment holes that attach to the knuckle.

I'm liking your thinking...can't wait to hear and see results!!:thumb:

Mopar318
09-07-2009, 09:09 AM
What part numbers are you looking for? I found a few website a while back that verified they could get them. Just want to make sure I have the correct part #'s and Ill PM you the links.

cqlink
09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I just ditched the KYB struts on my '86S and had the Konis rebuilt. Big improvement. Handling in corners is amazing. Yes, I was out $450 (including shipping) because one of the pistons ($60 part) was shot but if you can come up with the $$$ it's worth it.

turbovanmanČ
09-07-2009, 02:58 PM
What part numbers are you looking for? I found a few website a while back that verified they could get them. Just want to make sure I have the correct part #'s and Ill PM you the links.

They all say that and they don't have any, :(