PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line Leak (metal section)

RJ138
08-17-2009, 09:00 PM
One of my fuel lines rusted through and is putting out a nice misting spray of gas. This is/was my rusty trusty daily driver, a 1990 Spirit ES 2.5L turbo. Are these lines available? It looks like a group of three and a pain in the --- to replace... I was thinking of just ordering this line kit (Summit Fuel Line (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G2516/)) and bypassing the single line that is leaking. Not sure how to get a nice flare like the factory lines but I can do the ones with edges for copper and fittings which may slice the fuel hose. Any tips on flaring? Would bypassing the leaking line be an okay way to go?

Thanks,
Ryan

minigts
08-17-2009, 09:08 PM
You could do that, but there are a few of the standard to AN compression fittings you could use. Depending on where the leak is, you may be able to just cut off the bad part and put one of these on. The other thing you could do is buy the same size AN equivalent braided (stainless or nylon-type mesh) and put the compression fitting at the tank and run a new line all the way to the front. It would be more expensive than the aluminum line you show, but it's an alternative. And I can get you a very good lead on where to get the line. The place I go to here in Memphis sold me 2 feet of -06AN braided stainless for $6.xx a foot. Someone on here did the standard to AN compression fitting at the tank, can't remember who. There are pictures on the site somewhere though.

RJ138
08-17-2009, 09:22 PM
It is leaking under the rear passenger door, the line comes straight out (towards the door from the fuel filter) then turns 90 degrees towards the front of the car. The leak is six or so inches after the bend. I may try cutting it after the leak and just installing a longer section of rubber hose. The other problem is I can not find 5/16" fuel injection hose around here at any of the auto parts stores.

minigts
08-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Well I can say that they do make 5/16" hose but I've only seen it for non-fuel injection cars. Don't ask me how I know... ;) I don't think it would be that hard to replace the entire line but that's coming from someone who hasn't ever done it before.

The fittings are going to be the most costly piece as they can run in the neighborhood of about $8-10 per item. It would be an investment to replace the whole line but it would be worth it if you plan to keep the car.

RJ138
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
I bought that Summit Aluminum 5/16" line and I am going to just bypass the bad fuel line. I will have to figure out how to make some decent flares for the rubber lines to hook up to it though.

PBODY
08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I sell 5/16 FI hose at my parts store. I just replaced the hoses at the engine on my 89 Spirit.

If it a straight section of steel line that needs replacing, just buy some 5/16 steel brake line at any auto parts store and splice it in with compression fittings. Or try to find some FI hose and just splice in where the leak is. Make sure to pick up some FI hose clamps too.

http://www.gates.com/australia/brochure.cfm?brochure=7460&location_id=11312