PDA

View Full Version : Number 2 and 4 cylinders problems

lybarra
08-16-2009, 10:14 PM
I have an 89 daytona shelby TII/555 and having problems with number 2 and 4 not squirting fuel. I moved the number 1 and 3 injectors over to 2 and 4 spots and still 2 and 4 are not squirting fuel. I had a code 26 at first and I checked all the wiring. Everything turned out fine and the code cleared up. I checked for spark and when pulling 2 and 4 boots off, nothing happens. The car is missing already before pulling off the boots. When pulling off 1 and 3 boots, the car dies. I do have a strong spark where it sparks to the head within a inch away. I checked for voltage at the injector connectors and I get a constant 12 volts on all connectors. I guess the signal looks constant because of firing quickly. I also changed the computer, and the pickup coil. I did change the timing belt and checked twice that the marks line up. Could the timing be off by 180 degrees? If so, how can I tell? My rotor is pointing to number one. Can anyone help?

Thanks Larry

cordes
08-16-2009, 10:42 PM
If you are getting that code, I would triple check the wiring and all connections. I rarely read of it being anything else.

butchsuppe
08-16-2009, 11:14 PM
1+2 fire at the same time, 2+4 fire at the same time also. Only thing I can think of is switch the injectors around to see if they bad.

turbovanmanČ
08-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Are you sure the injectors aren't squirting fuel?

I would honestly do a compression test.

black86glhs
08-16-2009, 11:47 PM
1+2 fire at the same time, 2+4 fire at the same time also. Only thing I can think of is switch the injectors around to see if they bad.
Did you mean 1&2 and 3&4 fire at the same time?

black86glhs
08-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Are you sure the injectors aren't squirting fuel?

I would honestly do a compression test.Also try swapping the plugs. I have had bad plugs do the same. Spark looks good to the plug, but it isn't firing in the cylinder.

turbovanmanČ
08-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Did you mean 1&2 and 3&4 fire at the same time?

SMEC's batch fire the injectors, 1@2 then 3@4, so they don't spray just before the valve opens, not 100% efficient but it works. SBEC's fire each injector just before the intake opens, increasing efficiency by a bit and it runs a bit smoother.

black86glhs
08-17-2009, 12:18 AM
SMEC's batch fire the injectors, 1@2 then 3@4, so they don't spray just before the valve opens, not 100% efficient but it works. SBEC's fire each injector just before the intake opens, increasing efficiency by a bit and it runs a bit smoother.
I know. I was asking if that is what he meant. All of the injector harnesses I have made for these(non-SBEC) were 1-2 & 3-4.
They call it batch fire for the earlier stuff and sequential for the what the SBEC does.:thumb:

butchsuppe
08-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Yea what Simon said, I guess I should have been more clear about that in my post.

lybarra
08-18-2009, 11:10 PM
I found the problem, I feel stupid. I figure I should tell everyone who answered me what the problem was. I cracked my brain for almost two weeks on this. Well the problem was I had 2 and 4 spark plug wires crossed. I changed them back and problem solved. Like I said, I feel stupid. Thanks for everyones reply.

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2009, 11:11 PM
I found the problem, I feel stupid. I figure I should tell everyone who answered me what the problem was. I cracked my brain for almost two weeks on this. Well the problem was I had 2 and 4 spark plug wires crossed. I changed them back and problem solved. Like I said, I feel stupid. Thanks for everyones reply.

Don't, we've all done it, or at least I have, :o

butchsuppe
08-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Yea, what Simon said.