PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap Time

3nglenn
12-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Hello all! First post. I'm currently involved in trading motors in a 93 sundance.
I've removed the 5-speed tranny, clutch and fly wheel off the donor motor as i've got to hook an automatic back up to it. Engine going in is a 91 2.2 TBI. (Blown motor is a 93 2.2 TBI). Hopefully everything is pretty staightforward and matches up ok. I guess my question is are there any items that need really special attention or things that could cause big problems if missed. I've only got a couple days to do this so I've to get it right the first time. I'm concerned about flywheels matching up mostly... Anyway, any helpful hints or tips much appreciated. :thumb: Thanks All G.P.

GLHSKEN
12-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Should be 100% straight forward...

Turbodave
12-27-2005, 11:04 AM
a 91 into a 93 should be a straight-forward swap like Ken said.

I can't think of anything major to worry about, but take time to make sure you've got all the little stuff covered. I can't count how much time I've wasted when doing swaps because of silly trips to the parts store for stuff like oil and antifreeze. The one that always gets me are the exhaust manifold to downpipe bolts. They usually break when your taking them out, and I always forget to get new ones until I go to hook the exhaust back up, usually late at night when the parts stores are closed....

3nglenn
12-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys! Done lots of manual trannys to engine transfers but amazingly never an auto to engine transfer. Yeah those manifold/exhaust bolts are what I dread every time- usually just snap/torch/grind'em off and put new ones in. The girlfriend is getting good at helping me pull the axel's....:eek:
Thanks again G.P.

3nglenn
12-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Whoa boy here we go. Overall the swap went well and it fired right up, ran and shifted good. However when I took it out for test drive it would idle WAY down when I stopped, almost to the point of stalling, then idle back up. The owners were anxious to go on their merry way. so I buttoned it up and off they went. Now it sits in a parking lot and won't start. Went down and took a look and it has gas (in the tank), has spark, and I can here the pump prime. Well it did fire up once, but ran really bad, then stalled. I'm ready to grab the original TB and computer and swap it over as this sounds like a fuel/AIS issue. No codes, just 12 and 55. Grounds are clean and tight. Replaced the wires, cap and HEP too. Both engines ran before the swap. The donar motor (91) has an EGR system whereas the one that came out (93) did not. If the TBI and computer aren't it it'll be an ASD and fuel filter. Any input or ideas I missed much appreciated. Thanks and wish me luck. Nothing like working out in the nice freezing rain....:( G.P.

Oh yeah the donar motor originally had a 5-speed hooked up to it, now has an auto...

3nglenn
12-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Onward with the story... Changed the TB...still no start. Put the jumper cables on to really get it spinning over and it finally caught. (When I had the TB off there was puddle of gas in one the pockets under the insulator gasket)
Start, stall,start, stall, it went till it finally managed to idle, if thats what you want to call it... Here's where it gets wierd. Unplugged the coolent sensor to see what would happen (limp mode) and it smoothed out, idle came up. plugged it back in and it really smoothed out and perked up. Took it around the block a few times and it ran great. No stalling at stops either. Bypassed the EGR too. Hope it lasts....:rolleyes: G.P.

GLHSKEN
12-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Great thinking!!

Computer is learning... hopefully it WILL

deuce dodge
12-30-2005, 07:37 PM
had a friend who hated turbo mopars.....upon being asked why he stated.....because after every time he worked on them his buddy at a garage charged him $80 to "reset the computer".............or the car would run horrrible........................

oh was he angry when i told him that meant unhooking the battery for five minutes...........true story.......

deuce