PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Installing MSD SCI Ignition box help

shelbyplaya
08-14-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm installing an MSD SCI Ignition box into my 87 Shelby Z w/ 89 Harness converion. I know how to connect everything i Just cant figure out the signal wire. I called MSD and they said to just dissconnect the signal wire to the SMEC from the hull effect and run it to the white wire on the MSD box so it would completely by pass the stock ignition systume. Is this correct?

chilort
08-14-2009, 02:12 AM
Yes. MSD knows what they're doing.

risen
08-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't totally disconnect the signal from the smec, I'm pretty sure it'll throw a code if it doesn't see both HEP signals. Also, the standard HEP signal is kinda funky due to the windowed blade. Unless MSD has specifically taken that window into account it's going to probably run pretty badly when that windowed blade passes thru the hall effect. It won't trigger off the coil - ? That's how I have my 6al hooked up.

chilort
08-14-2009, 02:54 PM
I miss understood the original post. I also trigger my 6A off the coil.

shelbyplaya
08-14-2009, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't totally disconnect the signal from the smec, I'm pretty sure it'll throw a code if it doesn't see both HEP signals. Also, the standard HEP signal is kinda funky due to the windowed blade. Unless MSD has specifically taken that window into account it's going to probably run pretty badly when that windowed blade passes thru the hall effect. It won't trigger off the coil - ? That's how I have my 6al hooked up.

So your running it right off the hull effect or the coil?

chilort
08-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Right off the coil. I don't remember what wires do what any more but the MSD diagram sets it out. You unhook the wires going to the coil and connect them to the MSD. The MSD then drives the coil.

I don't know if the SCI hooks up the same as a 6a though. But, the instructions for the 6al can be had from MSD's web site. You go to the instructions page and type in 6200. The download the 6200.pfd file. The directions for how to hook up a 6a / 6al and several others that are relevant to a TM are on page 10 of 24.

Aries_Turbo
08-14-2009, 05:59 PM
dont listen to MSD. they are wrong.

the red and the white trigger wires..... they connect to the stock coil output wires.

the red trigger wire connects to the positive coil wire which is green w/ a black stripe.

the white trigger wire connects to the negative coil wire which is black with a yellow stripe.

Brian

Aries_Turbo
08-14-2009, 06:00 PM
the msd sci is the 6300 or the 6320. i dl'ed the 6320.pdf to see how it was supposed to hook up. the 6320 has the rev limit capabilities.

Brian

Dusty_Duster
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
I've got an MSD SCI box in my Duster. It is triggered off the coil wire. It basically sits "between" the coil and the computer.

I can take pictures, if you want.

shelbyplaya
08-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I've got an MSD SCI box in my Duster. It is triggered off the coil wire. It basically sits "between" the coil and the computer.

I can take pictures, if you want.

Please if you can.

so i connect the white wier to the +12 feed to the coil?

chilort
08-14-2009, 08:34 PM
It looks just like page 10 of the 6200.pdf instructions. MSD may have their wire colors incorrect for our specific cars but the what goes to who and where is dead on.

Disconnect the coil+ wire from the coil and connect it to the thinner of the two red wires on the MSD. Disconnect the coil- wire from the coil and connect it to the white wire on the MSD. Connect the orange wire on the MSD to the + side of your coil and connect the black wire on the MSD to the - side of the coil. Connect the thick red of the MSD to your battery + terminal and the thick black of the MSD to your battery - terminal or other ground.

MSD suggests keeping the power feed wires (the thick ones) as short as you possibly can. If you cannot then you need to increase the gauge of the red wire as you lengthen it.

I've got one MSD in my '68 Sweptline. I decided to put it under the dash. It is kind of noisy but now that I have new mufflers on it I can no longer hear it. I put the one in my Daytona on the shock tower right behind the battery.

You can see where I have it installed in this picture (the burnt green wire is the fan and the picture was from when I was fixing that and has nothing to do with the MSD)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3621/3605715986_83c9abea20_o.jpg

shelbyplaya
08-22-2009, 11:27 PM
OoooohoooooooKay.... I got it installed and she runs fine. maybe even idles a bit cleaner now. I havent had a chance to take the car out for a good run yet due to the computer not receving any O2 feed back even after putting a new sensor in. So getting a new plug and 6" of wier is on the top of my list of things to get at pick-n-pull tomorrow! If that solves things i can put my new chip back in and start tuning!!!!!

But I would like to say thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!:thumb:

contraption22
08-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Make sure never to leave your driveway without the included jumper wires to bypass the MSD. It's not a matter of IF your MSD box will leave you stranded someday, it's a matter of WHEN.

I think it's a testament to their reliablilty that they include in the box a method of defeating the product to make the car drivable when it fails.

chilort
08-25-2009, 12:09 AM
I've only ever had one fail in tens of thousands of miles I've put on my cars/trucks with them. I've had one in nearly every car I've owned (all but one) for over a decade now. Oh, and my one that failed was my fault because I shorted the case to +12 with a ratchet one day tightening down the positive battery terminal. It ran for quite a while after that too but it wasn't right.