PDA

View Full Version : plastic window bushings

turbo Scamp
08-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I found a PERFECT replacement for the worn out plastic window bushings used on L Body cars. ...the part that wears out causing windows to tilt back and forth.

It is called a Nylon Snap Bushing.

Hillman # 58168D.

Available at Ace/TrueValue hardware stores.

43 cents each!
:thumb:
- Bill

zin
08-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Got any pictures of it or how it installs?; I'd like to be sure I'm buying the right part, and since it's a non-standard application, the sales guys will likely be clueless If it works as you say, I'll be one happy camper!! I HATE having to use two hands to roll up my windows!

Thanks for the tip!

Mike

A.J.
08-15-2009, 12:50 AM
On my parents '85 T&C my Dad and I took apart the doors to clean and lube the latch mechanisms and the window motors. On one of the motor assemblies, inside the gear mechanism there are three plastic rollers that go between the outer gear (motor) and inner gear (regulator). They were busted. Causing too much slop in the gear. I bought some nylon round spacers from Ace. Shaved them down a little bit and I was back in business. I should have taken pictures.

A.J.

cordes
08-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Got any pictures of it or how it installs?; I'd like to be sure I'm buying the right part, and since it's a non-standard application, the sales guys will likely be clueless If it works as you say, I'll be one happy camper!! I HATE having to use two hands to roll up my windows!

Thanks for the tip!

Mike

Huge +1

Force Fed Mopar
08-15-2009, 01:07 AM
On my parents '85 T&C my Dad and I took apart the doors to clean and lube the latch mechanisms and the window motors. On one of the motor assemblies, inside the gear mechanism there are three plastic rollers that go between the outer gear (motor) and inner gear (regulator). They were busted. Causing too much slop in the gear. I bought some nylon round spacers from Ace. Shaved them down a little bit and I was back in business. I should have taken pictures.

A.J.

I used ball bearings out of some old 525 tranny bearings to fix the ones in my Diplomat :thumb: I did take pics, if anyone needs/wants to see them PM me. I think all the motors use the same setup regardless of platform.

Force Fed Mopar
08-15-2009, 01:08 AM

Thanks for the tip!

Mike

Huge +1

+2, pics please :)

johnl
08-15-2009, 01:47 AM
I'm on my knees. Begging for pics.

turbo Scamp
08-15-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm on my knees. Begging for pics.

LOL

The car is not at the house right now. I will try to get some pics this afternoon.

If you go to Ace, just go to the fasteners aisle. They have the stuff fairly organized in slide out drawers. Look for the drawer marked "Nylon Snap Bushings". It will be with the oddball hardware (like lamp switches and such) but still in the slide out drawers. Get the ones that are #58168D. They look like the plastic grommets that are used on office furniture for power cords to pass thru. Get the ones that are in the bin marked 58168 D.

Oh, another heads up... I was looking around on TD.com and read that the felt ring that slides up and down with the window is actually there to lubricate the window guide rod. It is supposed to be saturated with oil and keeps that rod lubed over the long haul. I know for a fact that white lithium grease doesn't have any staying power. I am going to lube everything with 3 in one oil. Hoping to find some new felt rings from the dealer. One of mine is missing and the other one is a gummed up "shell of its former self".

Just a FYI, I only just got one side installed the other day. While it looks like Ma Mopar put it in there in 83, and works really well, I can't attest to the staying power of these things. Looks REALLY promising though. I was REAL excited that they fit so well AND are made of Nylon.

Anyway, will try to do a writeup with pics.

-Bill

turbo Scamp
08-16-2009, 03:02 PM
I got some pics. How the hell do I upload them to get them on here?

cordes
08-16-2009, 03:18 PM
I got some pics. How the hell do I upload them to get them on here?

If you send them to bwcordes@gmail.com I would be more than happy to put them up for you.

minigts
08-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah I tried to do something with a Hillman rubber one and it failed on the driver's side after about 6 months. The passenger side is still good, but I'm afraid it will wear soon enough. A solid plastic one should do the trick. I'd also like to see pics of this and the bearing one. I actually thought about doing something with a bearing style as well, but didn't ever look hard enough for one that would work well.

turbo Scamp
08-16-2009, 03:46 PM
If you send them to bwcordes@gmail.com I would be more than happy to put them up for you.

Sending now...

minigts
08-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Just doing some searching, I found this site which has something similar. Prices are less, but I don't imagine they'll let you place an order for .80 cents via credit card. :) I'll go by Ace and see if our store has these.

http://www.steinair.com/grommets.htm

Thanks for posting the info!

turbo Scamp
08-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Sending you the pics now...

turbo Scamp
08-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Pics sent to cordes.

turbo Scamp
08-16-2009, 03:59 PM
I managed to get a couple of pics on TD.com at the following link ...
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f8/f35/253027-l-body-window-bushing-fix.html

cordes
08-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Editing pics for hosting now. Many of us can't view stuff over on TD.

cordes
08-16-2009, 04:18 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/864/DSCF0652.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/864/DSCF0653.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/864/DSCF0651.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/864/DSCF0649.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/864/DSCF0648.JPG

turbo Scamp
08-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks cordes.

- Bill

cordes
08-16-2009, 04:22 PM
No problem. I will need to pick some of those up and toss them in my Omni. Now if we could just get the white C shaped deals that would be the best.

WickedShelby88
08-20-2009, 12:25 AM

A.J.

Hey you can find these in the help section at AZ and other places that carry that stuff. They say their for a Ford, but I believe a lot of Ford products used the same motors.

contraption22
03-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Awesome. What and how did you disassemble to get this into place?

Thanks,

Mike

turbo Scamp
03-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Its a pain in the ---. The window has to come out, as does the vertical bar that passes thru the bushing. The nuts that secure the window are obvious. The vertical bar is held in place with two bolts on the bottom of the door and a bolt thru the top of the door. The bolt at the top is an adustment point. It adjusts the inboard/outboard tilt of the window when it is in the up position. The nuts that secure the window are also adjustment points. Yeah, once you get the whole Rubic's Cube solved, you get to re-adjust the stupid thing. Dont forget to adjust those stupid felt covered, "D" shaped rubber deals on the top of the door. They keep the window from rattling in and out when the window is part-way up. They want to fall apart. I had to find some "new" ones that still had some felt left on them.

Its nice once you are finished, though.

- Bill

turbo Scamp
03-23-2011, 06:49 AM
ALSO

Dont forget to emery cloth and oil the vertical bar to get rid of the years of corrosion and old grease. Its gotta be really smooth and slippery. There is a felt ring that rides up and down the bar with the window. I cleaned that with degreaser, rinsed with it water, dried and saturated it with 3 in 1 oil. Oil the vertilal bar liberally with 3 in 1 oil as well.

- Bill

Aries_Turbo
03-23-2011, 08:37 AM
i would cut a slot in that bushing and wrap it around the bar and snap it in so you dont have to take everything apart. put the cut between the things that hold the bushing in place so that the plastic on either side of the cut is supported well.

Brian

zin
03-23-2011, 07:30 PM
i would cut a slot in that bushing and wrap it around the bar and snap it in so you dont have to take everything apart. put the cut between the things that hold the bushing in place so that the plastic on either side of the cut is supported well.

Brian

I'll take your fine suggestion and add to it a zip tie to keep the bushing from "opening up" once it has been cut/installed.

Mike

Orangetona
03-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Agreed, even if you have to replace them a few times more, its better to do that than go through the mess another time.

turbo Scamp
03-25-2011, 07:52 AM

Brian

Tried that. Wont work. It WILL pop out of there. I think I had to super glue one of those bushings in place because it wanted to come out even without cutting it. Plus, how many times can you remove and replace that 25 year old door panel before it comes apart. Im just sayin...

- Bill

Aries_Turbo
03-25-2011, 09:21 AM
does it snap in tight or is it a little loose in the hole?

Brian

turbo Scamp
03-26-2011, 08:32 AM
The diameter is perfect. The only real problem with the bushing is that it really should be taller. If you dont get ALL of the crud off of the guide rod and oil everything well, it does want to pop out. On my car, one has lived there for a couple of years now, the other one had to be replaced once because it came out and got cut. I used super glue to hold that one on. (I forgot to mention that earlier.) Be careful that you dont glue the bushing to the rod. That aint fun.

It would probably be a good idea to keep the door panel off for a few days after making the repair so that you can keep an eye on the thing.

- Bill