PDA

View Full Version : Which 3.0 core motor to use for my turbo build?

onenastymopar
08-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I talked to a buddy of mine whoe has a junkyard and he said he'd sell me a 3.0 motor core for cheap so which model should I buy? does iit matter what year? which intake? etc.? I know he has lots of 90's spitirts and caravans in his yard with bad motors....(well he says there bad but most of his stuff he doesnt know) plus I'm taking it directly to my machinist for a complete rebuild, which brings me to my next questions for suggestions.....any recommendations on heads? internals? etc???

I'm probably gonna send my intake in for porting/polish etc. and plan on buying Ed's turbo header......read lots but like to hearwhat people have to say.

Not sure what car I will buy to put it in yet......probably a shadow down the road to be honest but for now I'm gonna build the motor and go from there.

Vigo
08-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Well if you plan on rebuilding it then the main thing that matters is to get the later heads that have roller cams and the valve guide problem fixed. 93-up is safe, maybe earlier too but i dont remember the year for the head fix.

onenastymopar
08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
I think the head fix is mainly just the retainers correct? I believe any good builder uses the newer style anyhow......but I didnt know there were roller vs non-roller so good to know ;) I've never played at all with my 3.0's so I been reading alot but not enough evidentlly.

135sohc
08-13-2009, 11:44 PM
newer and lower miles, most recent arrival would be something I'd look at. Find out why the car/engine was there to begin with. Dead transmission, collision, internal failure ect even if its only a core, a core with tons of miles, been sitting drained of oil for who knows how long or sudden stoppage damage isnt gonna help you any.

c2xejk
08-14-2009, 10:28 PM
If you plan on keeping boost below 5-7psi, I would look at the 3L from newer minivans (a little higher compression...) You will likely have to transfer some parts (sensors and distributors) from an older motor for the electronics to work.

I think the slider cam motors were '87 and '88.

For any motor it is probably worth pulling the exhaust manifolds and looking in the exhaust ports and see if any of the guide are showing signs of dropping...

1984rampage
08-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Contact Ondonti... He'll be able to tell you everything you need to know lol.. But obviously get some custom forged pistons and maybe some aftermarket rods for internals