PDA

View Full Version : shelby z drag project! Need setup advice :)

1984rampage
08-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Alright heres some pics of the 87 dodge daytona shelby z being delivered to my house this friday for a mere 300 bucks!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh105/peachey140/DSC_0120.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh105/peachey140/DSC_0125.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh105/peachey140/DSC_0127.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh105/peachey140/DSC_0129.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh105/peachey140/DSC_0128.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh105/peachey140/DSC_0122.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh105/peachey140/DSC_0124.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh105/peachey140/DSC_0121.jpg

Im not sure what my plans for the car are yet... Ive got 3 options lol.

A) Get the car running well, throw on bigger injectors and a big exhaust and see how fast she'll run

B) Get the car running well and let my Uncle drive it as hes going through some very tough times

C) Just flip the car to make some money lol

Im most likely going with plan A, soo Im going to set a goal of a low 13 second quarter mile... To get there here is my plan so far (input appreciated).

Car: Completely gutted shelby z except for 2 seats and the dash
shortblock: stock
head: stock:
transmission: stock 555
turbo: stock T2 turbo
exhaust: open 2.5" downpipe
intercooler: watever is on there already
injectors: +20%'s
computer: 87 MP stage 2
boost: 18-20 PSI depending on how much fuel I have

From what Ive read that should be enough to get the car into the 13's with some good driving...

All input is appreciated!

1984rampage
08-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Anyone think 100 Octane fuel is safe for 20 PSI? And should I look for a 2.5" swingvalve or just stick with the 2.25"?

BadAssPerformance
08-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Nice project, cant beat the price! I will be the first to say that Shelby Z's dont make the best drag cars tho.. tooo heavy :(

100 Octane in my stock Shadow has seen 27psi with 42pph injectors, not sure what else is different tho

1984rampage
08-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Haha I know theyre heavy.. How heavy though? Im going to completely gut everything except the drivers seat and the dash lol

GLHNSLHT2
08-11-2009, 07:06 PM
hardtop shelbyZ's are rare, whatever you do make sure that you can return it back to stock. They're more of a road racer than a drag car IMO.

1984rampage
08-11-2009, 07:32 PM
How rare? Is there a breakdown of options or anything?

BadAssPerformance
08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
hardtop shelbyZ's are rare, whatever you do make sure that you can return it back to stock. They're more of a road racer than a drag car IMO.

Good point, how is the floor on it?

A gutted daytona weighs almost as much as a full interior shadow.

nickbrungard
08-12-2009, 01:31 PM
I know you mentioned gutting this car but if you have any condideration in making it a fast daily driver and complete the interior. I have an 88 shelby z that has a pretty complete interior that i would be willing to work something out. I really don't need the interior parts. Im using the motor and drive tran. I would much rather see the interior go to good hands then go to hell in my parts car. let me know.

1984rampage
08-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Good point, how is the floor on it?

A gutted daytona weighs almost as much as a full interior shadow.

From what I can tell in the pictures it looks like almost no rust on the floor! The carpet is out so you can see part of it.. I also asked him and he said there was just a tiny bit of surface rust on the hood that he cleaned up and that there wasnt any rust anywhere else!

tommyturbo
08-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I say restore it, and make it nice again, what do you need to prove by turning it into a drag car? the car is 22 years old, very few are still around, and I don't see many color. Make it nice.
Yes I know I am the only one on this site about restoing these cars, but heck so many guys just go blow em up, part em out, and there just are so few left.

1984rampage
08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Hmm soo many people are just telling me to restore it.. Maybe Ill take the restomod approach and make it nice and quick... It all depends on how much work it needs to begin with I guess

tommyturbo
08-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Dude that is the way to go! You can make the car look totally stock, yet do things to make it fast. I've got 3 shelby z's, on is bone stock, low milage survivor, that is stored in my garage.

One is my resto mod car, it's a silver t-top car, and the motor has been rebuilt with the oil passage mods, and oil pump pick up mods, and a fwd 15 psi cal. It's also got eibach springs and koni struts, poly bushings. It looks totally stock, but drives very good, and makes more than enough power for me. You could probably getaway with bigger injectors, and a more aggressive computer cal, and still have a car that looks stock, but goes faster than original. You have a two piece intake, so you can port that as well, to massage more airflow. It would be a shame to see that car turned into a drag car, and besides read enough posts on here and you'll have an idea of how fast a car would be at the track.

I don't understand the drag thing anyway, so your car is fast, it doesn't make your dick bigger....or prove anything. If your gonna do something fun with these cars, i say go for autocrossing, or something that takes advantage of the cars handling, these cars excell at that...but this is just my opinion.

1984rampage
08-12-2009, 04:39 PM
haha well my reasoning was that Im young and WANT a fast car lol.. Ive got a nice shelby charger thats a daily driver... But this daytona is completely different besides the fact that theyre both rust free and have shitty paint lol... Its more of a comfortable cruiser I think...

Soo new question... Leather or cloth interior :D and anyone have a nice leather interior they want to sell?

Mopar318
08-12-2009, 04:51 PM
yeah the tonas are a little heavy...that just means they will spool up big hybrid turbos with .63 housings rather quickly.:D

I dont think those mods will get you 13's with stock tires and clutch. Big boost makes some heat with a smallish turbo. A FMIC would be something you want.

Mopar318
08-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Nice project, cant beat the price! I will be the first to say that Shelby Z's dont make the best drag cars tho.. tooo heavy :(

true but they are sexy, and luxurious.:evil:

1984rampage
08-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Im pretty sure it already has a FMIC.. The piping goes somewhere if you look at the pics lol... I would get slicks for the track most likely... Ill see what it needs when I get it, but right now Im thinkin the restomod route might be nice :)

1984rampage
08-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Soo Ive decided Im gonna have a little fun with the car and then let my little bro (15) drive it when he turns 16 (in a detuned state of course) lol

1984rampage
08-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Alright Im taking delivery of the car probably this weekend as soon as I find some storage lol.. The guy sais the noise is in the bottom end and will need a set of rod bearings... Does anyone know how hard it is too swap out a set of rod bearings for the first time?

moparfwdsleeper
08-27-2009, 04:02 PM
your brother will be the last owner.

restore it. Ive never seen a blue Shelby Z. Would be awesome to see it in person and clean.

tommyturbo
08-27-2009, 04:16 PM
the 87 Shelby Z did come in a few more colors than the 88. In 87 there was Flash Red, White, Black, Silver, Silver Blue (looks like this car)Dark Blue, Charcoal Gray Metallic. I have only seen one other Shelby Z in the silver blue color, so I'd say it is rare.

The 88 Came in Flash Red, White, Black, Silver and Daytona Blue. I have a 88 in Daytona Blue, it's a brighter blue, kinda like the electric blue on the srt-4 or pt cruiser, but a bit more subdued.

tommyturbo
08-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Also this car looks pretty well optioned, all power, trunk upgrade package, enthusiast seats, ultimate sound stereo with eq. It's not a low line Z.

BadAssPerformance
08-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Shelby Z's were never 'low line' by design

mine still has power windows :o

tommyturbo
08-27-2009, 05:23 PM
The Z was Chryslers "performance flagship" which yes is not a low line car, however you could get a stripped Z with no power accs, and very basic cloth seats, no air. I have seen one or two like this. Yes most got power windows/locks etc, but they were not standard equipment.

So in terms of how the car is optioned, it is not a stripper low line Shelby Z, it was optioned out fairly well.

karlak
08-27-2009, 07:55 PM
I will be the first to say that Shelby Z's dont make the best drag cars tho.. tooo heavy :( nt tho

There are some options for a dedicated drag car to reduce weight. http://www.hairyglass.com/daytona.html

1984rampage
08-31-2009, 12:19 AM
If anyone is interested in this car, i might be interested in trading for a shelby charger or omni GLH.. I might also sell it outright as I wont have as much time for this car as I thought i would... Would also trade for performance parts

PM me with trade/cash offers!

Thanks

Tony Fields
08-31-2009, 12:52 AM
I say restore it, and make it nice again, what do you need to prove by turning it into a drag car? the car is 22 years old, very few are still around, and I don't see many color. Make it nice.
Yes I know I am the only one on this site about restoing these cars, but heck so many guys just go blow em up, part em out, and there just are so few left.

I agree about restoring these cars tt.

I had rather get out and cruise than beat the crap out of it.

I think they are great drivers after all of the mechanicals
are up to par.

Going to cruise my Red '88 Z out to Fountain Hills, Arizona
in Oct.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/518/medium/LeftRear_Medium_.jpg

In closing I agree with tommyturbo........restore it.

Just my .02

Tony

1984rampage
08-31-2009, 01:05 AM
Ive been thinking alot about it and daytonas just really arent my thing.. I like the econobox look of the l-bodies better... Soo like above if anyones interested PM me with trade/cash offers!

turbokid
09-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Nice. Save the car. I have a rust free 87 hardtop z that I saved.
I just wish the car would cooperate =(

BadAssPerformance
09-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Thread Closed