PDA

View Full Version : L/M paint upgrade

jeff1234
08-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Hello all, I just finished socketing my ECM and to finish the job off I decided to paint the covers for the L/M. If the pictures I attached show up you will be able to veiw the results.
I removed the label and glue holding it on, sanded the cover with 320 grit and cleaned up all of the flashing on the cover. (it could chip off and fall into the electronics). I then cleaned the parts with brakekleen to remove the greases that came from my fingers. It was a humid day so I heated the parts in my convection oven to dry off the moisture. When the parts were cool, I painted the case with cast blast and the backing plate with texture paint. The pictures will show the manufacturer of these products. As a final step I moved the parts back into the convection oven and baked them for about 3 minutes at 250 degrees and then allowed the oven to cool down before I removed the parts. They came out looking great and even though you cant see them when installed, it makes me feel good to know that they are refinished.
jeff1234

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16497&stc=1&d=1249763300

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16498&stc=1&d=1249763300

Knifed
08-08-2009, 06:32 PM
They came out nice. If you took the time to socket the ECM you might as well make it look nice too.

Mario
08-08-2009, 07:17 PM
That's great. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that. Talk about attention to detail.....a hidden one at that!

boost geek
08-08-2009, 11:12 PM
That looks great! It doesn't have to be hidden, I put mine in my glove box, the factory wire harness will clear. Makes for easy fast cal changes. :)
I don't use that bleed anymore...;)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_1939.jpg

jeff1234
08-09-2009, 12:07 AM
BoostGeek, now that is cool. I wondered about doing it and now thanks to you I will. jeff

boost geek
08-09-2009, 12:16 AM
You will have to cut out a part of the rear section of the "tray" to feed the harness through. No more fooling around with the kick panel.:)

black86glhs
08-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta do that with mine. I never liked it down there to begin with. I don't care about cutting a small opening. I'm going to be making a new harness for it anyway. Good time to move the map under the hood.:thumb:

mcglsr2
08-09-2009, 12:46 AM
looks really nice!!

cordes
08-09-2009, 12:56 AM
That looks good. I should do that since I don't really plan on putting my kick panel back in ever.

black86glhs
08-09-2009, 02:05 AM
That looks good. I should do that since I don't really plan on putting my kick panel back in ever.Plus with your long legs, you might accidentally kick it without the panel covering it.:D

jeff1234
08-09-2009, 08:05 AM
mcglsr2, I think you painted yours didn't you? At least I think I saw that on your site. I elaborated a little with paint choices etc but I owe the idea to someones website to some extent. I also hate to work on a part of the car and not clean and paint things and leave them better than they were. The beauty of this forum is that one idea inspires another and so on... the glove box L.M is an example, one that I intend to implement, I am already sick of removing and reinstalling that kick panel. Just lazy I guess.LOL!!
jeff

jeff1234
08-09-2009, 08:34 AM
mcglsr2, I noticed that the gauge in your avatar looks like gauges available on EBAY. The blue lit ones. I was thinking about getting an electric fuel pressure gauge sold by glow shift. Has anyone had bad luck with these gauges. They are all likely made in china.
heff

mcglsr2
08-09-2009, 07:46 PM
mcglsr2, I think you painted yours didn't you? At least I think I saw that on your site. I elaborated a little with paint choices etc but I owe the idea to someones website to some extent. I also hate to work on a part of the car and not clean and paint things and leave them better than they were. The beauty of this forum is that one idea inspires another and so on... the glove box L.M is an example, one that I intend to implement, I am already sick of removing and reinstalling that kick panel. Just lazy I guess.LOL!!
jeff

yah, i painted mine satin black to match some of the stuff i was painting under the hood, but i just blasted it and called it a day - no where near the same level of detail you put into yours. nice job :thumb:

as for the kick panel, i leave mine off for the time being. when i am finished tuning, i will put it back in place. ideally, i would finish with the chip at some point :) another idea is the moates ostrich - while seemingly intended for just tuning, you could leave your computer in the kick panel and just adjust/burn via the ostrich and never touch the computer again.

mcglsr2, I noticed that the gauge in your avatar looks like gauges available on EBAY. The blue lit ones. I was thinking about getting an electric fuel pressure gauge sold by glow shift. Has anyone had bad luck with these gauges. They are all likely made in china.
heff

i don't know anything about those gauges. the 2 that i have in my sig pic are my boost gauge (top) and my zeitronix zr-2 multigauge (bottom). the boost gauge is an auto meter cobalt one.

Aries_Turbo
08-09-2009, 10:28 PM
i used rustoleum hammerite dark charcoal (something like that) on my LM in my daytona.

Brian