PDA

View Full Version : Orifice for wastegate control

Chris Faulk
05-05-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm doing some re-routing of my wastegate actuator, and am in need of the orifice. This is on a '91 Spirit R/T.

I can't remember what the size is, and I just recently got rid of all the spare parts I had stored.

Any help out there with getting me a piece or pointing me in the right direction?

mo' parts
05-07-2006, 01:24 PM
i believe most are somewhere between .020-.035. you can pick them up at just about any parts store. if i remember correctly, i read that a larger orifice will have a smaller boost spike, whereas a smaller one will increase the spike.
hope it helps

Chris Faulk
05-07-2006, 01:56 PM
i believe most are somewhere between .020-.035. you can pick them up at just about any parts store. if i remember correctly, i read that a larger orifice will have a smaller boost spike, whereas a smaller one will increase the spike.
hope it helps

I experienced otherwise recently with my car and all the fooling I've been doing.

With a straight line and no restriction I noticed slower spool and above-stock levels of boost. With the restriction in place the boost rises faster and it runs right at about stock levels.

I found a restrictor at AutoZone that worked out OK. It's made for a 3/16" line. My lines are smaller, but I still stretched it over the fitting.

I completely forgot that there's a machine shop in-house where I work...could've just got a scrap piece of round stock and had the guys drill me various hole sizes in each to try out. :rolleyes: :banghead:

Wink
05-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Or you could have purchased a mig welding tip. I used one on the Shadow before I installed a G-valve.

cordes
05-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Or you could have purchased a mig welding tip. I used one on the Shadow before I installed a G-valve.

I have used a mig welding tip myself. I purchased the smallest they make and it worked quite well.

Chris Faulk
05-08-2006, 12:45 PM

Good info, but it was late and AutoZone was open/closer. The 3/16" restrictor fitting I found worked just right.

Well I am tired of how manual controller like the g-valve operate so I'm going back to stock and then tweaking on the cal to my liking.

I've tried everything from the most expensive electronic boost controllers to my own home-made g-valve. Nothing has been worse than the g-valve for me. I regret selling the HKS EVC I had way back when, but live and learn. :thumb: :eyebrows:

mo' parts
05-09-2006, 01:06 AM
I experienced otherwise recently with my car and all the fooling I've been doing.

With a straight line and no restriction I noticed slower spool and above-stock levels of boost. With the restriction in place the boost rises faster and it runs right at about stock levels
glad you got it figured out:thumb:
i was stating what i have read from the various td sites, matter of fact i looked it up before replying:D

Chris Faulk
05-09-2006, 07:46 AM
glad you got it figured out:thumb:
i was stating what i have read from the various td sites, matter of fact i looked it up before replying:D

Thanks. :thumb: