PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover dipped into paint tank?

menace2society
08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
I work at a shop that does E-coating (Electrodeposition) which is basically pretreating parts with chemicals and water through a wash system with spray nozzles. Then, dips into a black E-coat paint tank that has 25-600 DC volts of electricity flowing though it. Afterwards, the parts are on there way to be cured in an oven.

We used to do a oil pans for racing engines. Wouldn't that be bad to coat the inside of the oil pan? I asked my plant manager but, he said he didn't know.

We also have a powder coat shop with robotic sprayers. No manual sprayers.

What do you guys think? Would it be bad to dip my valve cover into a paint tank or have it powder coated on the inside?

E-Coat: http://www.seaverfinishing.com/images/large_dip.jpg

Powdercoat: http://www.seaverfinishing.com/images/large_powder.jpg

BadAssPerformance
08-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Cool... Cathodic or Anodic E-coat?

As long as it adheres correctly, it wont come off. At least for steel, not sure about aluminum tho?

menace2society
08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Cool... Cathodic or Anodic E-coat?

As long as it adheres correctly, it wont come off. At least for steel, not sure about aluminum tho?

We do both. We have to adjust somethings when we do Anodized parts. We do all kinds of metal. Steel, Aluminum, galvinized etc.

I was thinking about powdercoating my 2.5T cover and E-coating the 3.0 covers. I never had any problems with adhesion checks (E-COAT) for both steel and aluminum. So, I think I should be fine. However, I don't really know much about powdercoating. I don't work at that shop. I'm the lab tech at e-coat.

BadAssPerformance
08-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Cool... How about anodize for the Al cover?

menace2society
08-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Cool... How about anodize for the Al cover?

Sounds like a good idea. To ensure for a better adhesion. I would probably do that for both and powder coat the 2.5 cover. We only have E-coat PPG Black though... The powder coat shop has multiple colors. I'll have to ask the people in the office more about powdercoating and see what other stuff they do in their lab.

W.P._Turbocars
08-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Whould be neat as hell if you could anodize a 3 liter fuel rail for me;)

Would anodizing or powdercaoting a fuel rail mess with the flow much? From what I remember it would do the inside too woudn't it?

turbovanmanČ
08-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Coating inside will help the oil shed, I had a coating company apply it to my oil pan on my race bike, ;)

Ondonti
08-05-2009, 06:37 PM
factory pans are painted....

Nemesismachine
08-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Is that silimar to electro-static refinishing?